Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

deavers n icon rear resi issue

Old 05-30-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
aka Senor Tacorojo
EL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: CORY
EL ROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Question deavers n icon rear resi issue

Should put this in the suspension threads but thought I'd get more hits here.

I just put on some deaver j59 leaf packs and when we went to put on the icon rear resi shocks there was an inch or so of extra droop out of the leaf pack? Any one have any experience with this setup? Are the shocks supposed to limit the last bit of droop travel, thought that would cause the shocks to blow out(over extend). They are an 8 leaf j59 pack direct bolt on replacements...bought the icons of a fellow member who ran them with the j59 pack also.....any thoughts. Shouldn't have to strap a mid travel bolt on direct replacement setup
Old 05-30-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
i ran that setup for a few years but with the Donahoe rear resi shocks... i still have the J59s but with the front LT, i put them on 9" shackles for better articulation...

when i ran the Hoes, they were about 1.5" short too, but there was no negative impact to suspension travel...

but if you really want to get the most out of the J59s, look into some Bilstein 7100 10" short body resi shocks... they are rebuildable...
Old 05-30-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
aka Senor Tacorojo
EL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EL ROJO's Tacoma Gallery
So the shocks can handle stopping the travel at full droop. So is that what ur running now? How much travel u pulling out back? How much lift is it with the 9" shackles? And how do u have the shocks set up, both behind axle on a custom mount? Any pics? Oh and did run into any drive shaft issues at full extension/droop. Sorry for all the questions, but this leaf pack is gonna have to hold me over for quite some time after I long travel the front, so I wanna get the most out of it! Thanks for the info Mike.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:00 PM   #4
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
He is pulling 12" of travel I believe. He has the Bilstein 7100's with 8" shackles. I am not sure how much lift that gives him..

I am going to be running the same setup as him except I am using 2.5" body shocks with 12" of travel and I am going to relocate my shocks to look like this.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:05 PM   #5
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL ROJO View Post
So the shocks can handle stopping the travel at full droop. So is that what ur running now? How much travel u pulling out back? How much lift is it with the 9" shackles? And how do u have the shocks set up, both behind axle on a custom mount? Any pics? Oh and did run into any drive shaft issues at full extension/droop. Sorry for all the questions, but this leaf pack is gonna have to hold me over for quite some time after I long travel the front, so I wanna get the most out of it! Thanks for the info Mike.
It is never a good idea to have your shocks be the limiting factor, compressed or extended. It will eventually destroy the shock.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:12 PM   #7
aka Senor Tacorojo

EL ROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04LTtacoma View Post
He is pulling 12" of travel I believe. He has the Bilstein 7100's with 8" shackles. I am not sure how much lift that gives him..

I am going to be running the same setup as him except I am using 2.5" body shocks with 12" of travel and I am going to relocate my shocks to look like this.
Nice, and the spending dominos continue to fall I may be looking to do this soon.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:04 PM   #8
aka Senor Tacorojo

EL ROJO's Tacoma Gallery
I called icon this morning...the shocks are designed with an internal droop n bump. It's ok for them to limit the last inch of travel. I was assuming this cuz of all the peeps running the same setup. But glad to hear it from icon.