Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Door Handle Replacement

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-31-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
bbtank45 is on a distinguished road
bbtank45's Tacoma Gallery
Door Handle Replacement

I did a little searching around and couldnt quite find the answer i was looking for....

From the time of purchase, i have been having some issues with the driver side door handle not opening/unlocking the door. Over the long memorial weekend i decided to pull off the door panel and see if i could see anything physically wrong with the handle. I noticed that the fulcrum mechanism on the handle (plastic) was broke and prevents the door from opening. As a result, i have to replace the door handle. I have found replacement door handles online but my question is..... Will this replacement door handle still open with my factory key?

The link posted below is to a replacement door handle i found on Amazon.com....

http://www.amazon.com/TOYOTA-TACOMA-...6867761&sr=8-1

Any help guys?

Thanks again,

Ben B.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
BAT24 is a splendid one to beholdBAT24 is a splendid one to beholdBAT24 is a splendid one to beholdBAT24 is a splendid one to beholdBAT24 is a splendid one to beholdBAT24 is a splendid one to beholdBAT24 is a splendid one to behold

BAT24's Tacoma Gallery
Ben,
You should be able to switch the lock cylinder from the existing handle to the new one when you have the handle out. There is usually a sliding retainer that holds the lock cylinder in on most vehicles.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:09 PM   #3
onesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
onesixseven's Tacoma Gallery
same exact problem i have yet to take mine apart though, but it sometimes doesnt open or wont unlock all the way. weird. so please keep updated, id like to fix mine as well.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAT24 View Post
Ben,
You should be able to switch the lock cylinder from the existing handle to the new one when you have the handle out. There is usually a sliding retainer that holds the lock cylinder in on most vehicles.
Good deal, the exact answer i was looking for. JW, have you done one before on a Taco?..... or do you know this from experience with other doors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesixseven View Post
same exact problem i have yet to take mine apart though, but it sometimes doesnt open or wont unlock all the way. weird. so please keep updated, id like to fix mine as well.
Will do. I just ordered the one posted above in the link so hopefully it works out. A PITA problem i am going to be very happy to get fixed. Ill let you know how it turns out. After searching around, it seems like a common problem with these trucks.... maybe this will be the answer for many.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:17 PM   #5
bhh2000 is just really nicebhh2000 is just really nicebhh2000 is just really nicebhh2000 is just really nicebhh2000 is just really nice
Name: Ben
bhh2000's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same problem! bought a handle at the local scrap yard, put it in in 20 minutes and found that the lock just snap's in and is separate from the handle so I switched it out and now I have a NEW handle and old lock for my old key!
Old 05-31-2011, 12:25 PM   #6
onesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
onesixseven's Tacoma Gallery
sick okay thanks guys. so its a pretty quick fix. yea not only is mine broken but the previous owner put on a chrome one when my truck is the black trim
Old 06-08-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
For those of you that were following:

I recieved the handle on Monday, replaced just as i had removed the original.... fixed perfectly! And yes you use your original key.... the original tumbler slides into the new handle.

Products Discussed in this Thread