1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Door Handle Replacement

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by bbtank45, May 31, 2011.

1. May 31, 2011 at 11:47 AM
    bbtank45

bbtank45 [OP] Member

Member:
    I did a little searching around and couldnt quite find the answer i was looking for....

From the time of purchase, i have been having some issues with the driver side door handle not opening/unlocking the door. Over the long memorial weekend i decided to pull off the door panel and see if i could see anything physically wrong with the handle. I noticed that the fulcrum mechanism on the handle (plastic) was broke and prevents the door from opening. As a result, i have to replace the door handle. I have found replacement door handles online but my question is..... Will this replacement door handle still open with my factory key?

The link posted below is to a replacement door handle i found on Amazon.com....

http://www.amazon.com/TOYOTA-TACOMA...VG00/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306867761&sr=8-1

Any help guys?

Thanks again,

Ben B.

2. May 31, 2011 at 11:59 AM
    BAT24

BAT24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    TRD Rugged Trail
    TRD - CAI Sport Hood Sport Grille Sport Headlights OEM LED Tails Factory Roof Rack
    Ben,
    You should be able to switch the lock cylinder from the existing handle to the new one when you have the handle out. There is usually a sliding retainer that holds the lock cylinder in on most vehicles.

3. May 31, 2011 at 12:09 PM
    onesixseven

onesixseven Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Santa Clarita California
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner SR5
    3.5" Kind Coilovers Total Chaos UCA's 31" BFG A/T's 8000k hi/lo HID kit Flowmaster Super 44 5% tint all around exterior LED's Deck Plate Mod bedlined flares debadged Full Fosgate/JL Audio Stereo
    same exact problem i have yet to take mine apart though, but it sometimes doesnt open or wont unlock all the way. weird. so please keep updated, id like to fix mine as well.

4. May 31, 2011 at 12:14 PM
    bbtank45

bbtank45 [OP] Member

Member:
    Good deal, the exact answer i was looking for. JW, have you done one before on a Taco?..... or do you know this from experience with other doors?

Will do. I just ordered the one posted above in the link so hopefully it works out. A PITA problem i am going to be very happy to get fixed. Ill let you know how it turns out. After searching around, it seems like a common problem with these trucks.... maybe this will be the answer for many.

5. May 31, 2011 at 12:17 PM
    bhh2000

bhh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB TRD 4X4
    I had the same problem! bought a handle at the local scrap yard, put it in in 20 minutes and found that the lock just snap's in and is separate from the handle so I switched it out and now I have a NEW handle and old lock for my old key!

6. May 31, 2011 at 12:25 PM
    onesixseven

onesixseven Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Santa Clarita California
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner SR5
    3.5" Kind Coilovers Total Chaos UCA's 31" BFG A/T's 8000k hi/lo HID kit Flowmaster Super 44 5% tint all around exterior LED's Deck Plate Mod bedlined flares debadged Full Fosgate/JL Audio Stereo
    sick okay thanks guys. so its a pretty quick fix. yea not only is mine broken but the previous owner put on a chrome one when my truck is the black trim :confused:

7. Jun 8, 2011 at 11:25 AM
    bbtank45

bbtank45 [OP] Member

Member:
    For those of you that were following:

I recieved the handle on Monday, replaced just as i had removed the original.... fixed perfectly! And yes you use your original key.... the original tumbler slides into the new handle.

8. Sep 27, 2014 at 6:23 PM
    sandman2

sandman2 New Member

Member:
    gilbert az
    Vehicle:
    2004 sr5 4 door
    is there a how to vidio

9. Sep 27, 2014 at 7:35 PM
    NightProwler

NightProwler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    It's pretty simple guys. Take the door panel off, there's two bolts that hold it on, unclip the rod, twist the lock tumbler to remove, handle comes out. Installation is opposite.

And on a side note, mine fixed it but it is still a little hard to open as there's play in the rod itself so it doesn't have that nice 'pop' when you pull on it like brand new. May also be because of the cheaper made handle. Idk.

Products Discussed in

To Top