Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What kind of alarm system do I have?

Old 05-31-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
bicklebok has a spectacular aura aboutbicklebok has a spectacular aura aboutbicklebok has a spectacular aura about
Name: Ronnie
bicklebok's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of alarm system do I have?

I have a 2000 model Tacoma with a security system. I even have the manual that came with it, but it doesnt have any info on who made it. The manual just says Theft Deterrent System (TDS). It has a little red light with built in switch to the left of the steering wheel. The system itself is mounted near the left kick panel tie strapped on to a wiring harness.

I did some research on this but Im still lost. I just want to get another remote for it, and I dont want to buy one off ebay if it wont program. the ebay seller says it works with factory alarms. I dont think this is a factory alarm.

I know very little about keyless entry alarm systems!
Old 05-31-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Pics would help (of the remote as well). Also, if you still have the original remote, look from some numbers on the back and try googling them. You can look under the hood for other components and see if the name is on them as well.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
bicklebok has a spectacular aura aboutbicklebok has a spectacular aura aboutbicklebok has a spectacular aura about
The numbers on the back of the remote are so worn I cant read them. I will take a pic of it when I get home tonight.
I dont think there's anything under the hood. I have looked pretty good.
A programmable remote from ebay is $20. I may just take a chance on it.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
Triangleacre1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Dustin
Triangleacre1's Tacoma Gallery
I found a remote to thi site, but am not sure if it is what you are looking for. https://www.ikeyless.com/vehicles/Toyota/Tacoma/2001/
Old 05-31-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
Here's the FOB

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56313352@N06/5783373287/
Old 05-31-2011, 05:02 PM   #7
Here's the LED

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5631335...n/photostream/
Old 06-01-2011, 09:11 AM   #9
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EnolaGaia's Tacoma Gallery
Pull the main controller unit and check for marks / tags / labels ...

That's definitely not a Toyota accessory alarm system fob.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:20 AM   #10
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Yes. The main control box should be under your dash by your steering column. Should be a black box no bigger than 6" by 4". Look for some serial numbers, etc... on that.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:48 AM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
Yes. The main control box should be under your dash by your steering column. Should be a black box no bigger than 6" by 4". Look for some serial numbers, etc... on that.
It is located there. I found serial numbers but havent been able to do anything with them since I dont know the brand of system. Today Im going to cut the cable ties loose and look on the back of the box to see if it gives me any additional info. I saw on a website while searching that there is additional information on the back side of some boxes. So far, even with the literature that came with the alarm, I cant find the manufacturer info.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:57 AM   #12
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
If it is the same alarm that I have in my truck (I have the little red button as well), then it is not going to have any markings on it other than the serial numbers. I literally pulled my dash apart and pulled every box out that was connected in the alarm harness and there is no brand name on it. From the research I have done on the system, they only put these alarms in trucks made in the southern states and it is made by Audiovox or something like that. I have been meaning to try to order a fob from the place posted above but have never got around to it. My truck didn't even come with a key fob so my alarm is useless until I get around to ordering one.

Edit: Here is the thread I made a few months ago. It has a few pics of the boxes that were under my dash.

Click Here
Old 06-01-2011, 09:59 AM   #13
bama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
bama trd's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same deal with a Z71 that i owned last year. I followed the wires to the small black box ( up in the dash beside the steering collum) broke the zip ties and found a name on it. You can also call a stereo/alarm store and tell them info from the unit.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:23 AM   #14
Thanks everyone! I will keep you posted.
Honestly, I would love to just kill the alarm, but from what I have read, it will disable the ignition unless I can figure out how to hook the wiring back the way it was from the factory.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #15
bama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
bama trd's Tacoma Gallery
I DID kill mine and took the thing out , I saw how it was wired and cut maybe 2-3 wires and reconnected with the factory wiring. You could look at it and tell exactly how the insaller had hooked it up. Good Luck
Old 06-01-2011, 10:43 AM   #16
Hey bama trd! what part of Bama are you in?

Im hoping when I look under the dash it will be obvoius the way the factory wiring should be. I sure hope so!
Old 06-01-2011, 11:57 AM   #17
Rusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rusty White Taco's Tacoma Gallery
If my memory serves me correctly, TDS alarms are just dealer-installed alarms made by Audiovox. Search for TDS, Audiovox, or Prestige alarm remotes (they also made the Prestige line for Toyotas). Good luck!
Old 06-01-2011, 12:53 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty White Taco View Post
If my memory serves me correctly, TDS alarms are just dealer-installed alarms made by Audiovox. Search for TDS, Audiovox, or Prestige alarm remotes (they also made the Prestige line for Toyotas). Good luck!

Thanks! Youre on to something! i didnt realize TDS was a trademark name until I did a search.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:04 AM   #19
Update: I ordered a used FOB from ebay last night. It should be the right one. I could get enough FCC ID numbers off the old FOB(they were worn away from being in the PO's pocket) to match it to the FOB I ordered.
When it gets here, will see if I can get it programmed.