1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

first O2 sensor changed..now vibration???

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 2truckgirl, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Jun 2, 2011 at 12:00 PM
    2truckgirl

2truckgirl [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josie
    New Brunswick Canada
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4, 3RZ-FE, ext cab, stock
    No mods on the tacoma...yet! My 2x4 78 chev 3500 crewcab is a 454, edlebrock intake and 750 holley dbl carb.
    Hi everyone;

I had my shop put a new O2 sensor in yesterday (Its the one before the cat) The change in gas mileage is amazing. I am super impressed and it relived the sputtering problem I was having.

But now for some reason, and only when I gear down, I get a vibration that goes right into the steering wheel. Basically seems to show when getting to the bottom end of the gear. It's not the clutch as one of my friends had suggested. I get the same vibration if I depress the clutch when the vibration starts. Is something out of wack now? Taking off and driving is fine. Any thoughts of whats going on?

thanks;

Josie

2. Jun 3, 2011 at 1:23 AM
    2truckgirl

2truckgirl [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josie
    New Brunswick Canada
    Vehicle:
    No mods on the tacoma...yet! My 2x4 78 chev 3500 crewcab is a 454, edlebrock intake and 750 holley dbl carb.
    Meaning how long do I stay in the gear before gearing down? I wish I could tell you rpm, (has no tach) but KM/hr wise I gear from 5th to 4th at 85km, 4th to 3rd and 70km, 3rd to 2nd at 50km and 2nd to 1st, when it will slide in. (10km?)

Just so you know, I have owned the truck for only about a month. I have put maybe 650 miles (1200kms) on it. The O2 sensor was causing the engine light. I cleared the code after the O2 replacement and it has not come back on. The truck did not show this behavior before going in for service.

Also, maybe this can help.. When driving, if I let off on the gas pedal to lets say 1/8th pedal, I will notice the vibration slightly. That's in all gears. It almost sounds like a faint exhaust leak/vibration. I did it on the highway in 5th gear and it didn't shake alot like when gearing down but it was there and noticeable. When I gear down to come to a stop, using the transmission to slow me, I am upping the RPMs when shifting, but giving no gas. The vibration starts and lasts the whole time gearing down provided my foot is not on the gas. This is when the vibration is the worst. What makes the vibration better is giving it more gas. (provided there is more room in the gear to go faster.) I'm not gonna red line it! LOL

So it is throttle related? I think maybe, since the O2 sensor does deal with emissions. Could it be the O2 sensor is not seated enough? Would a leak in the manifold cause that?

Ask me anything else and I'll try and answer the best I can.

thanks so much;

Josie

3. Jun 3, 2011 at 8:16 AM
    2truckgirl

2truckgirl [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josie
    New Brunswick Canada
    Vehicle:
    Ok!, well I don't know what happened but the issue is no longer happening. I started the truck up this morning and drove it to work. It shuddered, just like yesterday when gearing down. However, after about 20km, the issue stopped all together. After spending a couple hours at work with the truck off, I went for a coffee run and it was fine still then too. NO vibrations. It has been slightly raining today but not much so I wonder if that could be the change? I will monitor it over the weekend too as it is supposed to be sunny to see if it comes back. :)

At any rate, I feel good the problem "seems" solved, but I am stressed because now I can't figure out what it was or reproduce it :(. If I find out more I'll let you know.

Thanks everyone.

Josie

4. Jun 3, 2011 at 11:22 AM
    2truckgirl

2truckgirl [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josie
    New Brunswick Canada
    Vehicle:
    Update!!!

Well the vibration didin't come back but the check engine light just did again. Got a Pcode 135. "O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction"

Any thoughts? called my mechanic and taking it in on Monday. He said it might be wiring or something. Hope its simple :(

Josie

Products Discussed in

To Top