Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

what cb radio to install ??

Old 06-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
juice is on a distinguished road
juice's Tacoma Gallery
what cb radio to install ??

I want to install a cb in my 03' and have seen some mounted in the ash tray location. can some give me brand and model that will make a nice clean install? thanks
Old 06-03-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
Master of the Prius...
SpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryen
SpazzyB's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to SpazzyB
i've got a uniden 510xl mounted in place of the ashtray.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:30 AM   #4
Bash Fabriction & Off-Road
01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
01Tac0ma's Tacoma Gallery
The midland 1001z will also fit and does fine for me.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #5
offroadTRD will become famous soon enough

offroadTRD's Tacoma Gallery
uniden all the way........ if you want a small one.... get the 510xl. if you want a larger one with more options.... get the pc78 elite. That's the one that I have and I absolutely love it. Plus I have it tuned and modulated to 100%. Instead of only deadkeying at 4 watts, I'm swinging 18-20 watts. I can talk around 20 miles on a good day. On a bad skip day, I can usually reach around 10 miles. A stock cb from the factory will only reach about 3-5 miles on a good day. It all depends on the term "ionosphere". Its some scientific equation crap they come up with dealing with "skipping". It has something to do with the suns positon to the earth and atmosphere condition. Google "cb radio skip" and you will be fluently informed. I know I went too much in detail about this and probably confused you a little....... but this stuff can get addicting when you start tweaking with radios!!!!!
Old 06-06-2011, 09:37 AM   #6
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadTRD View Post
uniden all the way........ if you want a small one.... get the 510xl. if you want a larger one with more options.... get the pc78 elite. That's the one that I have and I absolutely love it. Plus I have it tuned and modulated to 100%. Instead of only deadkeying at 4 watts, I'm swinging 18-20 watts. I can talk around 20 miles on a good day. On a bad skip day, I can usually reach around 10 miles. A stock cb from the factory will only reach about 3-5 miles on a good day. It all depends on the term "ionosphere". Its some scientific equation crap they come up with dealing with "skipping". It has something to do with the suns positon to the earth and atmosphere condition. Google "cb radio skip" and you will be fluently informed. I know I went too much in detail about this and probably confused you a little....... but this stuff can get addicting when you start tweaking with radios!!!!!
Can the larger one that you have still be mounted in the ash tray? Can you go to a shop to have them tune and modulate it? Thanks
Old 06-07-2011, 01:36 PM   #7
offroadTRD will become famous soon enough

offroadTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Taco 22 View Post
Can the larger one that you have still be mounted in the ash tray? Can you go to a shop to have them tune and modulate it? Thanks
I don't think the larger one can be mounted in the ash tray. The larger one is considerably different in size compared to the 510xl. Yes, you can go to a shop and have them tune the radio/adjust modulation. I have an extended cab so I ended up mounting my cb right behind my center console storage area thingamajigger. I just drilled the mount into the storage compartment and mounted the cb. I then ran my cables underneath the carpet and then into the radio. Bring on more questions if needed..... Glad to help!!!!!
Old 06-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #8
saltbranch has a spectacular aura aboutsaltbranch has a spectacular aura about
saltbranch's Tacoma Gallery
You can have the small one tuned and peaked for the most part, I would talk to the CB shop to see which of the smaller units perform better. Definetly dont skimp out on the coax and antenna, buy good quaility stuff and mount it right.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:39 PM   #9
austinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud of

Name: Austin
austinstaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Cobra WXST75 set up for sale if you are intrested.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...cb-set-up.html