LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Shock Relocation

Old 06-05-2011, 02:12 AM   #1
get your facts straight
SafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dang
SafetyDang's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to SafetyDang
Shock Relocation

First I removed my camper shell by sliding it on to my brothers truck.

Shells off

Then we took the bed off. 6 Bolts, and disconnect the tail lights. And up and over the gas filler neck.

My trucks nude!

Start removing shocks.

Grinding for "boxing plates" for the cross member

Chalk the truck and jacked it up to check shock location.

Got too windy to weld so we moved the truck into the garage. Here's a random picture of it out on the street.

Started getting windy out..

In the garage about to weld the "box plates" on the frame. :welder:

Here is my bottom weld.

Top Weld

Found out that the weld blocked my Cross member from going in. :saw: Time to grind some welds down.

Tried again, didn't fit had to regrind some more!

Let my brother weld it up.

Tacked the bottom shock tab

Then let our friend have a turn.

1 shocks in and flexing it out to find Bump

Everything in working order

Mind the bad welds.. they are not mine.

All done! Rides great. Just need to add larger bump stops to save the leaf springs.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:14 AM   #3
Banned
03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
03taco's Tacoma Gallery
shoot just causeit dont look like rol of dimes doesnt mean that its not strong enough to hold, when i first started mine looked like ass but the xrays showed that they were gonna hold for a long time
Old 06-05-2011, 05:24 AM   #4
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Does the bed clear that bar alright now?
Old 06-05-2011, 08:56 AM   #5
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Nice job OP. Looks are just that...looks. Nobody will probably ever see the welds but you. As long as it sticks, who cares.

I see you already have a nice leaf pack. Did you do the relocation in plans for a SUA or a U bolt flip? It's nice that the shocks are relocated but it doesn't look like you gained much travel from the stock setup.

Couple things
1) No need for a lock washer on the shock mounts. The pressure from the rubber bushing will act as a lock and you'll get better contact on the shock mount tabs with the nut.
2) You should cut your exhast right after the muffle and dump it with the quickness. As it sits right now, you're going to cook your right resi hose and shock.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
get your facts straight
SafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys. Clears the bed by less then a centimeter. I just figured out how to fix the E-brake cable so now I'll be moving on to the exhaust drop down.

My buddy came over and welded the bottom tabs.. They look like dimes so if anything the top welds will break first. He showed me what I was doing wrong and with in 5 mins I was also welding dimes. Went back over 2 of the the top tabs.

I don't mind not having loads of travel. I just wanted to utilize all of my Deavers. I have full drop travel now. And when the leaves are flat I still have a little left on the shock. I need to extend my bumps a little to make sure I don't blow out my shock.

BTW Spare does fit back there. And shocks are 7100's Short Bodies 10" Stroke.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #7
Littlebro 5 will become famous soon enough

Name: Tyler
Littlebro 5's Tacoma Gallery
I rilly like your shock mount. What size are your shocks I would like to do a shock mount like yours. Nice pics.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:47 PM   #8
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Whats the point of this mod?
Old 06-05-2011, 11:17 PM   #9
get your facts straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebro 5 View Post
I rilly like your shock mount. What size are your shocks I would like to do a shock mount like yours. Nice pics.
10" Reservoir Shock - Short Body (8 Inch)180/75 Yes $188.00 $178.60 Part #:
AK7110SB03
Shaft Diameter:
14mm
Extended Length:
24.29"
Collapsed
Length:
14.06" Finish:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbs204 View Post
Whats the point of this mod?
U bolt flip
More Clearance
Longer Shocks
More Travel
Old 06-06-2011, 12:42 AM   #11
ilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant future

ilove_taco_ma's Tacoma Gallery
well done man
Old 06-06-2011, 09:45 AM   #12
get your facts straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony250 View Post
Nicely Done!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilove_taco_ma View Post
well done man
Thanks guys!
Old 06-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #13
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good man I'm glad to see more guys doing this on this site.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:51 AM   #14
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
Gahhhh can't see the pics
Old 06-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #15
get your facts straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Looks good man I'm glad to see more guys doing this on this site.
I'm usually on TTORA, figured you guys could use a "write up" of some kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malander View Post
Gahhhh can't see the pics
56ker! =P
Old 06-06-2011, 02:00 PM   #16
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyDang View Post
I'm usually on TTORA, figured you guys could use a "write up" of some kind.

Yeah this is what i did. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...t-install.html
Old 06-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #17
atvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant future

Name: Chris
atvlifestyle's Tacoma Gallery
looks good. I am in the process of doing the same thing just need the time to finish it.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:39 PM   #18
get your facts straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvlifestyle View Post
looks good. I am in the process of doing the same thing just need the time to finish it.
Just remember mine was for my Deavers Over Axle. Shock position depends on shock length and leaf springs. Measure Measure Measure!