LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

need to replace catalytic converters on 2002 tacoma ext cab 4x4.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:16 AM   #1
fevertreefan is on a distinguished road
fevertreefan's Tacoma Gallery
need to replace catalytic converters on 2002 tacoma ext cab 4x4.

the dealer wants $2479 (ouch) and ideas on how i can get it done cheaper?
Old 06-05-2011, 07:19 AM   #2
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Did it fail emissions? Why does it need to be replaced?

I had one replaced on my truck for 150 from a local shop, thats installed professionally and out the door.

The dealership is always going to charge too much, I would call a few local shops and see what they would charge.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:19 AM   #3
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Go to RockAuto.com, order new cats and install them yourself. That or go to any exhaust shop in your area.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:32 AM   #4
DblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DblCabMN's Tacoma Gallery
BWWAAAHHHHAHHAHAHA...

but seriously. My quote for that fix was ~$1420 from a Toy dealer. You could have a muffler shop fab up everything for waaay less with much better components.

magnaflow universal hi-fow cat and generic tubing + new muffler and possible new 1/1 o2 sensor and instead of 1/2 buy the URD sim o2 and you'd be out the door for under $500 depending on muffler chosen and shop install costs and you'll have a much better performing system.

search for "p0420" and you'll have enough reading to figure out what to do.

*$500 purely a 'ballpark' spec your own stuff out, talk to a local shop. And if you wanted to get the official Magnaflow replacement front, you'll add ~$200. If you're a 2 cat system, and you choose to (or need to for insp.) have 2 cats, add a few hundred more. Do some searching, there are many, many ways to do this cheap and right.

*EDIT* Also, are you getting any specific codes?
Old 06-13-2011, 01:01 AM   #5
trded is on a distinguished road

trded's Tacoma Gallery
you can try to "revive" your cat. i did it to mine and was able to squeeze out an extra 6 months out of my cat. just removed it and unloaded a can of carb cleaner into the honeycomb. after that i literally hosed the cat with water. worked for 6 months and passed smog.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:01 AM   #6
it's all good

went to menike muffler shop and got system replaced. after they replaced it the #2 sensor was not working (maybe bad it first place?). So replaced that all together $800. I drove for 2 days and engine light came on again. So took it back. They had to order direct mount for front cat. I take it the one that they put on was wrong. So waiting to hear from them when they get part it. I was assured that there will be no cost to me. Wait and see.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:58 AM   #7
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Is it possible that you dumped Sea Foam into the intake via the brake booster, looking for some magic and that killed your cats?
Old 06-14-2011, 07:21 AM   #8
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Did they tell you what the code was for the check engine light?
Old 06-16-2011, 04:03 PM   #9
po240

that's the code
Old 06-16-2011, 04:20 PM   #10
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Had to be a 420. There isn't 240. 99% of the time the 420 is a bad rear 02. You may have paid $800 for a bad sensor.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #11
jesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to behold

Name: jesus
jesus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by twfsa View Post
Is it possible that you dumped Sea Foam into the intake via the brake booster, looking for some magic and that killed your cats?
sea foam won't do that will it ??????
Old 06-16-2011, 04:34 PM   #12
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by twfsa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
Hasn't hurt my truck. Of course I've only done it once.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #13
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
Highly doubt it. There are thousands of people who use it without negative effects.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:58 PM   #14
.<>./
capetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

capetaco12's Tacoma Gallery
URD O2 Simulator
Old 06-17-2011, 07:20 AM   #15
bad o2 sensor

yeah i asked about that and the mechanic said that was the reason the cats failed. what pissed me off is the dealer said the cats were bad but didn't say anything about the sensor. it seems like everybody is out to rape you so they are looking for the most expensive options instead of the least expensive options.

Products Discussed in this Thread