1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking to buy first Tacoma and need your advice.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by CA Freedive, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Jun 5, 2011 at 5:36 PM
    CA Freedive

CA Freedive [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Enterprise, AL (Point Loma)
    Vehicle:
    1997 2.4L, 2wd, 5 spd, 88k, beige
    Seat covers.
    I'm getting back from a deployment in August and need to pick up a truck. I know exactly what I want, for the most part... 96-04, 2.4l/2wd, 5spd, no lift or drop or any modification at all, in good condition (checked out by Carfax and an independent mechanic before I buy), <~130k miles, <$7k.

It's picky I know and I know beyond '02 is out of my price range and requirements unless its a gift, so far I've only found 3 worth e-mailing in XtraCab, single cab is easy to find, but then I'd drop my price to <$5k.

What I don't know is whether or not I want an xtra cab. The plan is for my wife and I to not start having kids for another 5 years.... we'll see how that works out.
    We do want to always have a small pickup as it just makes sense for us.
    Single cab with kids is impossible, so if we get one of those we will be getting a small 4cyl sedan <$10k when kids come along with the associated interest on payments, maintenance costs, insurance and registration.
    If we get a XtraCab we wouldn't (i'm thinking) have to get a 3rd car until 10-12 years down the road.

My question to you xtracab owners with kids out there, is it practical to put two kids, say up to 7 & 5 in the back seat (how do carseats fit) or am I kidding myself?

If I can realistically expect to be able to fit 2 kids, carseats, etc in the back seat of an xtra cab and avoid a 3rd vehicle for another decade+ then I think the cost is worth it. If I'm lying to myself then I don't need the xtracab just for storage space and don't want to pay the extra money to get it, I'm planning on a soft lockable tri-fold and tailgate lock to keep gear dry and out of sight/snatch and grab danger.

Thought and advice are greatly appreciated as obviously I can't just go out and look at one myself, even if I could I'd want the advice of XtraCab parents who ahve actually tried punishing their children in the backseat of that thing.

2. Jun 5, 2011 at 5:47 PM
    CopDoctor

CopDoctor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 335i
    BMS Intake, JB4 chip, Plastidip everywhere
    bump

thank you for your service brother