1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wrong ATF = Trans Failure?????

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by wesb1023, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Jun 7, 2011 at 3:56 PM
    wesb1023

wesb1023 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Westley
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab
    Hi, I am trying to do some research about atf fluids. My truck is supposed to take the T-IV Fluid. I see that Valvoline max life dex/merc will work, but why not valvoline dex/merc (non maxlife)? Really, What will it damage????? As a matter of fact my local NAPA auto parts store says their computer says it takes regular ATF Dex/Merc. He said they sell that to the local yota dealership. Is there a specific part in these transmissions that regular fluid will damage???? Whats the real deal???:eek:

2. Jun 8, 2011 at 6:22 AM
    wesb1023

wesb1023 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Westley
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab
    Educated guess?????? Nobody out there is running the "wrong fluid" with no ill effects?

3. Jun 8, 2011 at 6:30 AM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    When is comes to the transmission and the coolant I'll only run the Toyota stuff.

4. Jun 8, 2011 at 6:58 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    x2, The transmission is one of those things, very expensive to repair/replace and the fluids gets changed so infrequently that it's worth it to just use what's recommended by the people who built it.

5. Jun 23, 2011 at 6:52 AM
    Turp

Turp Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner SR5
    K&N panel/ snorkel removed Keyless
    Just did a drain and fill on mine. It took 4 quarts. I used Valvoline max life (Autozone $17 gal). The Tacoma transmission is a unit common to some other brand vehicles including Jeep.

The owner's manual states to use ATF D- II, or DEXRON III ( DEXRON II).

http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/maxlife/automatic-transmission-fluid/37

http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer-products/automatic-transmission-products/automatic-transmission-fluid/33

There are some others but I listed Valvoline since it was mentioned.

I think a high grade product from a reputable company would suffice. No doubt the Toyota brand is of high quality and also produced by someone else under the Toyota name. I would not use a house brand, but that's just me.

Ultimately: When in doubt go seek a reputable mechanic's knowledge or buy from the dealership.

Did this for my Jeep Wrangler when in doubt. Paid $12 quart for transmission gear oil to refill a manual transmission because certain GL lubes will eat brass synchros ( Chilton Manual spec'd wrong fluid). I paid heavily for reassurance. I later found less expensive high quality aftermarket product for a third.

6. Jun 23, 2011 at 8:49 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    Why would you even entertain the thought of useing a fluid that is not recomemded by Toyota in an expensive item such as automatic transmission, I also use all Toyota fluids the few cents you save on other brands and headaches afterwards are not worth the effort.

7. Jun 23, 2011 at 9:36 AM
    Turp

Turp Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner SR5
    K&N panel/ snorkel removed Keyless
    Checked some other info and found that Mobil 3309 may produce the US Toyota labeled product; somebody has to make for Toyota. According to Mobil, it's specified for the Aisin Transmission.

Still for the difference if you can get Toyota for close to the same price, I'd go that route. I just didn't think of it at the time and the Owner's manual didn't specify T-IV.

I checked the Dipstick and it says Dexron II

Products Discussed in

To Top