LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Question about various suspension components

Old 06-10-2011, 09:39 AM   #1
Ron F. Swanson
JaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JaSkynyrd's Tacoma Gallery
Question about various suspension components

I've been browsing the heck out of this and the suspension forum looking for info on how to upgrade the stock suspension, and it seems everybody has a different mix of parts under their Tacoma. I just bought my Tacoma two weeks ago and I am already fed up with the ride the stock parts are giving me-evidently as I've read here it was nothing to write home about when new but now when my rear leafs have a slight negative arch and I hear a sickening thud when my shock bottoms out on the drivers side rear it is just unacceptable. I PMed a bit with scocar and he was quite helpful, but where I planned on getting a full OME kit a few months down the road has turned into I need to get something right now and don't have $1000+ laying around to buy the OME parts. I can handle the front as is for a while if I have to, but I'd like to get this knocked out in one shot, replacing all front and rear components at once. For the price, I am looking at Bilsteins all around--past that I get a little muddy. What springs and leafs can I use that will work well with the bilsteins? I know I want new leafs and and I think I want new springs and don't want to use OEM because after reading about them here I don't believe they would give a quality ride for another 100K+ miles. Price is a factor here, doing a house remodel right now and while the missus understands I need new springs I can't go drop any more than $700 for parts and an alignment, I will install it myself.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
Ron F. Swanson
JaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Anybody have any ideas?
Old 06-10-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Tons of threads already on this topic to read. Honestly, Your best bet is to save, and get quality parts. You end up paying much more if you have to do it again.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:00 PM   #4
Ron F. Swanson

Yeah, I have been reading non stop the past few days over whos got what under their truck, but my biggest issue is figuring out what coils and leafs can I buy that are better than stock that will work well with the bilsteins. I emailed downsouth motosports about it, told them I wanted the billies all around and what should I get for the springs. We'll see what they say.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:51 PM   #5
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Tons of threads already on this topic to read. Honestly, Your best bet is to save, and get quality parts. You end up paying much more if you have to do it again.
x2 on all points. The search function is your friend here, but you'll definitely find that opinions vary. (Like you, I did a TON of reading before deciding on my upgrade.) Chris is spot-on in his recommendation to save your money and do this right, once.

In the meantime, a number of us are running what scocar did until a short time ago: Wheelers/Alcan 5-leaf packs in the rear, OME 881s in the front, and Bilstein 5100s all the way around.

I think most of us who installed this setup remain happy with it. At least a couple decided OME Nitrochargers pair better (than 5100s) with the 881s. I'm no expert, but I'd say this is somewhat of a personal choice/preference. (I'm VERY pleased with my truck's ride and handling.)

Good luck with your research!
Old 06-10-2011, 09:59 PM   #6
Ron F. Swanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
x2 on all points. The search function is your friend here, but you'll definitely find that opinions vary. (Like you, I did a TON of reading before deciding on my upgrade.) Chris is spot-on in his recommendation to save your money and do this right, once.

In the meantime, a number of us are running what scocar did until a short time ago: Wheelers/Alcan 5-leaf packs in the rear, OME 881s in the front, and Bilstein 5100s all the way around.

I think most of us who installed this setup remain happy with it. At least a couple decided OME Nitrochargers pair better (than 5100s) with the 881s. I'm no expert, but I'd say this is somewhat of a personal choice/preference. (I'm VERY pleased with my truck's ride and handling.)

Good luck with your research!
I am settling down with what I want, looking like wheeler/alcan 5 leaf, bilstein 5100s, and Toytec coils for the front. if scocar still has his bilsteins for sale, and figuring high for shipping I think I can do it for 900...I'm not a complainer, but I cannot stand the ride in my truck and cringe at the thought of driving it right now. I really hope the "rides soooo much better than stock" stories are true.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:03 PM   #7
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaSkynyrd View Post
I'm not a complainer, but I cannot stand the ride in my truck and cringe at the thought of driving it right now. I really hope the "rides soooo much better than stock" stories are true.
I was in the exact same boat with mine. The stories are true. My recent suspension upgrade ranks right up there with the supercharger, in terms of making the truck SO much more fun to drive.

One word of caution (that you'll find in some of the other threads): Lifted trucks are a little harder to properly align. I (and a few others) found that replacing the steering rack bushings was required to get a good alignment and tight steering feel. With that done, my truck rides and handles better than new.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:10 PM   #8
Ron F. Swanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
I was in the exact same boat with mine. The stories are true. My recent suspension upgrade ranks right up there with the supercharger, in terms of making the truck SO much more fun to drive.

One word of caution (that you'll find in some of the other threads): Lifted trucks are a little harder to properly align. I (and a few others) found that replacing the steering rack bushings was required to get a good alignment and tight steering feel. With that done, my truck rides and handles better than new.

THANK THE LAWD!

and thanks for the heads up on the steering rack bushings, I will get that knocked out too.