Notices

Front solid axle swap?

Old 05-28-2007, 03:47 AM   #1
Offroad Enthusiast
BrianPK is on a distinguished road
BrianPK's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BrianPK
Front solid axle swap?

has anyone done this? i went wheelin today with some jeepers... one who i trust said i'd benefit from a "44"?

i'm still new at this, but i'd like to beable to hit some class 5 trails without killing myself...

other suggestions?
Old 05-28-2007, 08:13 AM   #2
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Where do you live. And yes a Solid axle does have it's benefits, more travel than IFS. If you do end up doing it don't go with a Dana 44 go with a Dana 60. It will also be pretty expensive.

Check out this guy. 2001 Tacoma w/ SAS
Old 05-28-2007, 11:55 AM   #3
Offroad Enthusiast
BrianPK is on a distinguished road
BrianPK's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BrianPK
I live in central california. the trail i want to tackle is the rubicon trail. i've never been on something so rough...

that site is perfect... mine's an 01
Old 05-28-2007, 12:57 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Warheads On Foreheads Division
MarkC is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AGE (aerospace ground equipment) mechanic
Name: Mark
MarkC's Tacoma Gallery
check out http://www.tacomaterritory.com those guys have all the answers
Old 09-23-2007, 07:51 PM   #5
350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

350TacoZilla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 350TacoZilla
I have done 2 sas swaps and they arent as scary as people make them sound or as exspensive... i also still have a stock 80's jeep dana 44 with the drivers side drop like what you would need and the ifs steering box you would need... they flex alot more than our stock ifs and such but one thing is the main factor...do you need it?...if you rock crawl or something maybe...but just for little trails you wouldnt even see the full potential this swap offers... might i suggest remove your sway bar links for offroading (like the jeepers do I'm sure) this will free up some side to side flex of the stock suspension... i can tell you my daily driver wont be getting a sas swap anytime soon.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:54 AM   #6
thenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud ofthenrie has much to be proud of

thenrie's Tacoma Gallery
If you are going to put that much money into it, why not look around for an 85 or earlier that already has the solid axle? You can pick those up pretty cheap, the axles are sufficiently strong to handle the weight of the Taco for all but the toughest trails, and you can beat up the body and not worry. That way you keep your 01 Taco for everyday use and don't lose resale value (which is still pretty good).
Old 09-25-2007, 02:36 PM   #7
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a video of the new FJ Cruiser tackling the Rubicon Trail, bone stock, which has ifs?
Old 09-25-2007, 08:37 PM   #8
350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

350TacoZilla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 350TacoZilla
fj

you know if the fj's were a actual 2 door or even a truck-ute like those ridglines and subaru baja's i would have one.........(yeah I know there was an fj truck concept but it was a convertible and still had clam doors)