1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Strange squeal, maybe rear wheel bearings?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by lindsey, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Jun 19, 2011 at 9:48 AM
    lindsey

lindsey [OP] Member

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    97 4x4 5spd 4cyl LX
    In the last two weeks our truck has taken to making a strange squeal/chirp when you release the gas pedal while still in gear. Say we are in second at 3k rpm and I release the gas and coast down to 2k without putting in the clutch; the truck makes a loud squeaky noise. It stops as soon as we put in the clutch pedal, it won't do it in neutral, and it stops before the vehicle stops, maybe at 5mph. A friend of ours took a look at it last night and proposed it to be one of the rear wheel bearings. What do you guys think? Also a couple more questions: I am planning on using the truck for firewood today, is this a bad idea? How quickly do we need to deal with it, next week, or should we tow it in tomorrow (I don't know how serious it is to drive with it like it is)? And, if we determine it to be the wheel bearings, do y'all have any recommendations for that job, any tricks or something else to do while we are in there. Thanks a lot. Fortunately our Tacoma is remarkably reliable, so we don't have to use this forum too often, but I really appreciate the wealth of info you guys have to offer and will definitely appreciate any pieces of information you have to offer.

thanks as always

2. Jun 19, 2011 at 9:51 AM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    if this is the case i would say its not your wheel bearings......

3. Jun 19, 2011 at 10:01 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Any clutch slippage with this squeal ??

I've had throw out bearings do this before....

4. Jun 19, 2011 at 10:02 AM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    carrier bearing possibly

5. Jun 19, 2011 at 10:07 AM
    lindsey

lindsey [OP] Member

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    97 4x4 5spd 4cyl LX
    no clutch slippage yet. I think the guy who drove it last night was thinking it was the throwout bearing, but he apparently ruled that out, but I don't know how. is there a way to try to narrow it down? thanks for the suggestions.

6. Jun 19, 2011 at 10:33 AM
    lindsey

lindsey [OP] Member

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    97 4x4 5spd 4cyl LX
    I read on here a similar post where the solution was just lubing the driveshaft. any chance this could be the simple fix?

7. Jun 19, 2011 at 10:51 AM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    It couldn't hurt...

8. Jun 19, 2011 at 12:05 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Ok, was maybe a U joint but that'd probably squeek either way with just driveshaft turning, what does it sound like in neutral, clutch out, engine running ? (unusually loud ? ) & how far do you let the pedal out before it engages ?? :notsure:

But as mentioned Lube the driveline first, seems some of the damnedest noises go away with a little grease, always a good idea...;)

9. Jun 19, 2011 at 5:44 PM
    lindsey

lindsey [OP] Member

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    97 4x4 5spd 4cyl LX
    So, I think I got the truck to do the noise under different circumstances. I was in 4 low backing up, basically just idling and the truck was making a slow creaking noise, could have been something else entirely, but I think it was the same noise but slower. As far as the clutch issue, the clutch engages relatively high, it still has some play at the top, but not a ton, I would have to go check to be absolutely sure. As far as in neutral with the clutch out, idling, I would say it doesn't sound louder than normal, can loud idling be a signal of clutch wear? thanks again

10. Jun 20, 2011 at 4:29 PM
    lindsey

lindsey [OP] Member

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    97 4x4 5spd 4cyl LX
    Okay, so I greased up the driveshaft. didn't change the problem, but I'm glad I got it done. While I was under the truck, my friend who is a pretty knowledgeable, mechanic crawled under and said that by his judgment, the U-joints all look good but that the carrier bearing has too much play, and is shot. So, be sure I jacked up the rear and put the truck in gear. First I should mention that the wheels spun fine on both sides while in neutral, so i ruled out the wheel bearings. Idling in first the noise was absent, but putting it in reverse and applying the E-brake, I was able to summon it. I crawled under the truck and could definitely hear the noise. I put my head near the carrier bearing and could definitely hear it, but it seemed to be further back. I moved my head back toward the u-joint that is next in line going toward the back and from there it seemed further forward, basically the noise is loudest with my ear right next to the driveshaft between the carrier bearing and the rearmost u-joint. any ideas? I suppose I could disconnect the drive shaft and see where it is that way, I guess I should replace the carrier bearing anyway, but I would like to take care of the problem once and for all. thanks

11. Jun 20, 2011 at 4:51 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Do you have the double Cardan(un serviceable) drive shaft ? It looks like 2 U joints knuckled very close together, early 1st gens had them I've been told & they weren't servicable (greasable,no zerks)when they went bad it was driveshaft time, my 2000 has the greasable dbl Cardan Toyota started using these in 2000 for this reason, I've replaced a few Carriers on other vehicles (my truck included) They can make some truly wierd noises from intermittent sqweaks to howling when driving, the Toyota center bearing OEM is right at $200.00, as far as play goes because of the way the actual bearing is mounted (inside a sealed rubber grommet) there is a fair amount of play (up & down, side to side) Which from all the info I got is an acceptable amount for this type of bearing, just remember when checking U joints that no amount of play is acceptable...:cool:

12. Jun 20, 2011 at 5:21 PM
    lindsey

lindsey [OP] Member

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    97 4x4 5spd 4cyl LX
    Not sure what kind of joint that is, serviceable or not. I know that the joint is right behind the carrier bearing and does have three zerk fittings. So the first U-joint has one, the middle joint has three and the last joint has two fittings for a total of 6. Does that indicate whether it is the serviceable or non-serviceable type? The U-joints have no play, the center bearing moves up and down about 1/4 of an inch.

13. Jun 20, 2011 at 5:53 PM
    lindsey

lindsey [OP] Member

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    97 4x4 5spd 4cyl LX
    This is a picture of the double cardan joint behind the carrier bearing. The picture also highlights the extra grease that flung off the driveshaft and landed on the exhaust. I don't really know how to determine which of the two or three things that are possible suspects are in fact the culprit. Any thoughts?

photo.jpg

14. Jun 20, 2011 at 7:01 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    On a 97 with the original drive shaft components? If so, it's probably time to rebuild the joints and replace the carrier.
    Creaking is what ujoints usually sound like when they start to fail.

15. Jun 20, 2011 at 7:17 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    This is my serviceable Cardan w/zerks circled in blue & 1/4" play is acceptable for Carrier as nutty as that sounds , even at that it doesn't mean its good either, a real gray area on these

Webdblcardangreasezirks2_07bca3967afbe1f0cc12024590d6e4e3bfb74d31.jpg

Sometimes they creak, alot of times in my experience it sounds almost like a piece of wire wrapped around the driveshaft....

Products Discussed in

To Top