Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Clanking Sound When applying breaks

Old 06-22-2011, 04:21 AM   #1
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Clanking Sound When applying breaks

Ive been noticing a clank under the forward end of the truck every time I apply the breaks.

Can anyone confirm this as normal or should I get it checked out?
Old 06-22-2011, 04:42 AM   #2
DeedleBag is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
DeedleBag's Tacoma Gallery
Okay, this is just what someone told me at one point so I could be very wrong, and sound exactly like I don't know what I am talking about but...I was told sometimes after your truck has set, that sound comes from when you first apply the brake a few times its something in the rotar thats "clicking" forward, and in the same way it will "click" backwards. They said there is nothing wrong with it, just the way that it was designed. Again, I probably don't know what I am talking about exactly but that is my .02
Old 06-22-2011, 04:54 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
Ive been noticing a clank under the forward end of the truck every time I apply the breaks.

Can anyone confirm this as normal or should I get it checked out?
You have a first gen so I can't say for sure but I get a clicking noise when I first hit the brakes, definitely loud enough to be heard. On mine it appears to be the pads engaging the rotors (just the brake pads taking up that little bit of slack between the pad and rotor). I get a similar, softer click when I let off which is the brake pads resetting.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #4
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Oh ok, thanks for the replies. That makes me feel a bit better.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:56 PM   #5
Fireguy68 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Fire
Name: A Brown Guy
Fireguy68's Tacoma Gallery
Mine didn't make that sound until after I put 5100's on the front. If I back up it'll make a clunk sound when I hit the brake, then when I go forward it'll make the same sound the first time I hit the brakes but not anymore after that. Don't know why it started doing it.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:14 PM   #6
jets is on a distinguished road
Name: John
jets's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireguy68 View Post
Mine didn't make that sound until after I put 5100's on the front. If I back up it'll make a clunk sound when I hit the brake, then when I go forward it'll make the same sound the first time I hit the brakes but not anymore after that. Don't know why it started doing it.

Probably maxed out your upper balljoint? I had that problem on my tundra after I installed coilover's on the front the upper balljoint was maxed out.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:31 PM   #7
HARDCORE CARNIVORE BOW HUNTER
lynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
lynyrd3's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to lynyrd3
Quote:
Mine does the exact same thing. Any way to get rid of that noise ?
Old 06-30-2011, 08:36 PM   #8
skeezix is on a distinguished road
skeezix's Tacoma Gallery
Hope you find out, I have the same problem.

It started after I replaced the front brake pads with Toyota parts. No sound when applying brakes going forward, but a tinny metallic clank just as the pads grab the rotor when I'm going reverse and again when I let up the brake pedal.

I've replaced pads and rebuilt cylinders probably 20 times in my life, never had this problem.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #9
skeezix's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeezix View Post
Hope you find out, I have the same problem.

It started after I replaced the front brake pads with Toyota parts. No sound when applying brakes going forward, but a tinny metallic clank just as the pads grab the rotor when I'm going reverse and again when I let up the brake pedal.

I've replaced pads and rebuilt cylinders probably 20 times in my life, never had this problem.
Sorry for the bump, but did you ever find the cause?
Old 06-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #10
Wait for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeezix View Post
Sorry for the bump, but did you ever find the cause?
General consensus is this isnt a problem, its just the way they were designed.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #11
PCOBB4033 is on a distinguished road
Name: Paul
PCOBB4033's Tacoma Gallery
I'm at dealership right now about this. I have a 09 and it does the same thing. If they tell me again this is normal I will be complaining to Toyota. I urge you all to do the same if you want it fixed. No reason a $30000 trick should sound like this.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #12
HARDCORE CARNIVORE BOW HUNTER
lynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
lynyrd3's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to lynyrd3
Unhappy

Quote:
Exactly , me too !
Old 06-06-2012, 06:45 AM   #13
skeezix's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCOBB4033 View Post
I'm at dealership right now about this. I have a 09 and it does the same thing. If they tell me again this is normal I will be complaining to Toyota. I urge you all to do the same if you want it fixed. No reason a $30000 trick should sound like this.
WTF is "normal"??? It might be normal but it didn't start making the noise until I replaced the pads. Used Toyota parts too. Whoever told you that doesn't know jack$shit about it now go away and leave me alone ... (sorry for the attitude but I've hat 20 years experience with Toyota dealer service operations and as far as I'm concerned ain't none of them worth a crap.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:58 AM   #14
1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of
Air Force:
1C271's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
General consensus is this isnt a problem, its just the way they were designed.

It's not the way they were designed. A component of your brakes or possibly suspension more likely, is failed, loose, or being used beyond it's design limit.

Ask yourself, Do you think your truck made that noise brand new driving off the lot??? Exactly, it's not normal.

And I have no idea what it could be without looking at it but I'm sure I could figure it out. Did you torque your caliper bolts? If those are loose that's one possibility.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:01 AM   #15
skeezix's Tacoma Gallery
I torqued them. Ever since my motorcycle days, when it seemed like even the valve caps needed to be torqued I've been rather anal about torques and other procedures.

Behind the rotor is some kind of thin metal shield that, when tapped with a wrench, sounds very much like the clank I'm hearing. I tried spinning the wheel in reverse and had the wife tap (that's all it takes) the brake pedal but couldn't pinpoint the noise. Oh well...

Oh, and after re-reading my last post in reply to PCOBB4033, where I wrote, "about it now go away and leave me alone ... " it may seem the comment was directed at him and that's not the case. Those words were meant to be the thoughts of the SM, not of PCOBB4033, and I didn't know quite how to write it. Sorry .
Old 06-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #16
Wait for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1C271 View Post
It's not the way they were designed. A component of your brakes or possibly suspension more likely, is failed, loose, or being used beyond it's design limit.

Ask yourself, Do you think your truck made that noise brand new driving off the lot??? Exactly, it's not normal.

And I have no idea what it could be without looking at it but I'm sure I could figure it out. Did you torque your caliper bolts? If those are loose that's one possibility.
You're making a very strong statement and justifying it by very poor assumptions. Ive had my truck for 3 years, replaced the pads and rotors, and torqued everything to specs.

Still clanks and still stops just fine .
Old 06-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #17
1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of
Air Force:
1C271's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You're making a very strong statement and justifying it by very poor assumptions. Ive had my truck for 3 years, replaced the pads and rotors, and torqued everything to specs.

Still clanks and still stops just fine .
It may stop just fine but there is still something wrong with it.

And if you bought it used and it's always made that noise, that is not what I meant. I meant when it was brand new at the dealership, whoever bought it and drove it off the lot, I guarantee it did NOT clank.

Like I said, something is wrong somewhere. And no that is not a poor assumption that the brakes did not clank when it was new. I test drove a 2000 Tacoma brand new and it did not have clanking brakes.

Just trying to help, you might have a problem elsewhere such as a suspension component that makes the noise but it's associated with the load put on it by stopping. I would guess a ball joint if it was....
Old 06-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #18
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
My truck does make this sound in the rear when I apply the breaks backing out of my driveway.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #19
Wait for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1C271 View Post
It may stop just fine but there is still something wrong with it.

And if you bought it used and it's always made that noise, that is not what I meant. I meant when it was brand new at the dealership, whoever bought it and drove it off the lot, I guarantee it did NOT clank.

Like I said, something is wrong somewhere. And no that is not a poor assumption that the brakes did not clank when it was new. I test drove a 2000 Tacoma brand new and it did not have clanking brakes.

Just trying to help, you might have a problem elsewhere such as a suspension component that makes the noise but it's associated with the load put on it by stopping. I would guess a ball joint if it was....
Your still assuming and I doubt you remember a test drive 12 years ago.

I redid my brakes (rotor and pads) and I can assure you there are no issues with my brake system. Please dont spread FUD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post
My truck does make this sound in the rear when I apply the breaks backing out of my driveway.
Could be axle wrap
Old 06-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #20
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Could be axle wrap
No, there is no movement just A sound when applying the breaks.