Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

White finish potentially ruined by "Frame Warranty Work"

Old 06-22-2011, 09:54 AM   #1
geoff06 is a jewel in the roughgeoff06 is a jewel in the roughgeoff06 is a jewel in the rough

geoff06's Tacoma Gallery
White finish potentially ruined by "Frame Warranty Work"

So this morning my truck was in for frame "CRT" (corrosion resistant treatment) warranty work @ Wilde Toyota in Milwaukee. I gave it a once-over before I left the lot and I thought everything looked good. They warned me not to let the frame or suspension parts get wet for 4 days while the ooey gooey black goop cures. That alone will be tricky since it's been raining like every afternoon and I'm gonna need to do some driving in the next few days.

My truck is white. original finish, and I've done a lot to keep it in good condition

When I got home, I noticed a really bad looking black smear below the driver's side quarter window. I quickly got a wet paper towel to clean it off and guess what? Everywhere the paper towel touched instantly turned black and looked almost like a burn mark the size of my hand. OVERSPRAY!! Somewhat in shock, I looked really closely at the rest of the driver's side of the body, and to my amazement, the previously white finish looked grey upon close inspection. Then, since I was not sure of the extent of the overspray, I rubbed a small area of the quarter window and... oily looking, sticky smear. And on the windshield... oily smears according to where the "wind pattern" is. Good thing I didn't need to turn my wipers on!

I immediately called the service dept. @ Wilde and told them what's going on. After talking to the service rep who worked with me, who at this point kinda started freaking out, he said I could bring the truck back tomorrow and they would "take care of it". Then he left a message on my phone a little while later and said that I could try fixing it on my own with lacquer thinner, if I don't want to bring my truck back to the dealer.

I want them to fix what they screwed up. Is there some kinda compensation (like a complementary tank of gas) I can try to demand from the dealer for causing problems, and possibly causing improper setting for the CRT since it's supposed to rain tomorrow?
Old 06-22-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
Resident "dude"
tacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Caleb
tacotrd647's Tacoma Gallery
See what they do to fix their mess up. Fully inspect the truck when you get it back BEFORE you leave the dealership. Maybe if you cause enough ruckus they might throw in a free oil change.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
If they fix it the first time, I wouldn't give them any trouble. If they refuse to fix or it still isn't fixed after you bring it in I'd raise hell.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
WASTE MANAGEMENT is on a distinguished road

Name: Travis
WASTE MANAGEMENT's Tacoma Gallery
If they are going to strip it with lacquer thinner, make sure they wax it again. It will look dull soon if the remove the wax and not re wax the paint. I would expect them to detail the entire truck, and call it even.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:15 PM   #5
Newb
ERG80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedERG80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedERG80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedERG80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedERG80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedERG80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedERG80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedERG80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedERG80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedERG80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedERG80 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ERG80's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASTE MANAGEMENT View Post
If they are going to strip it with lacquer thinner, make sure they wax it again. It will look dull soon if the remove the wax and not re wax the paint. I would expect them to detail the entire truck, and call it even.
X2. They should clean the gunk, detail, and wax the outside at the very least.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:41 PM   #6
Big M is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
Big M's Tacoma Gallery
most dealerships have a detail center/department or at the least a detail shop they use to clean customer cars, trade-ins, and pre-delivery cars. They not only wash and wax cars but also deal with overspray removal. request your truck be taken care of by people who know and work with automotive finishes and not by the techs who will most likely just spray brake clean on a rag and wipe it off, along with your wax and dull your paint/ ruin your finish.....
Old 06-22-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
kd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rocky
kd8awe's Tacoma Gallery
I would have them remove the gunk and toss in a buff and wax.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:20 PM   #8
Zork is a name known to allZork is a name known to allZork is a name known to allZork is a name known to allZork is a name known to allZork is a name known to all
Zork's Tacoma Gallery
same thing happened to me. I just took it upon myself & washed the truck about 4 times back to back, and got ride of the overspray. Taking laquer to the paint dont sound like a good idea to me.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:40 AM   #10
geoff06 is a jewel in the roughgeoff06 is a jewel in the roughgeoff06 is a jewel in the rough

geoff06's Tacoma Gallery
Well, a couple more phone calls, one more trip to the dealer, 3 coats of wax, one destroyed microfiber cloth later and... my truck is pretty much back to normal. Someone from Toyota customer service called me yesterday afternoon to ask me about my dealings, and I told him about the overspray and I was honest about how angry I was. Haha, it also turns out that I was supposed to be offered some kinda complementary service (though now I can't remember what it was). Oh well whatever, at least my frame is officially warranted for a few more years.
Now it's time to tap into the dash fusebox and finish installing my CB