1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fuel Filter question. help please

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by beefsteak, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Jun 22, 2011 at 11:01 AM
    beefsteak

beefsteak [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4
    Grey Wire mod, Eibach and bilstein 5100s all around, Alcan leafsprings, tundra brake swap with steel lines, loose steering column weld mod, keyless/alarm mod
    Hey guys, I need help in diagnosing my truck startup issue. I've got an '03 3.4L and it seems to not crankup like it used to. It cranks fine, but it takes longer than it used to to turn over. Like 3 seconds of cranking before turning over with the help of stepping on the gas pedal. I used to not have to step on the gas pedal.
    I read somewhere that it could be the sparkplugs, so I just replaced those a month ago. It's been an issue for several months, so it's not a bad gas issue. I've used several tanks of premium gas to help flush out just in case. I also seafoamed the truck through the vacuum lines before changing out the spark plugs.
    And it's not the starter, bc it cranks just fine and there's no clicking or anything like that.
    The only two things that I haven't done is replace the battery (which is 3 to 4 years old) but I haven't because it has no signs of weakening. And I haven't replaced the fuel filter because supposedly Tacomas have a permanent filter. I did try to replace the fuel filter, but I couldn't get it off after loosening the lines (because the lines went so far into the fuel filter on both ends that I didn't have any wiggle room and couldn't pull them out) so I put it back together. If it is the fuel filter, does anyone have any tips on removing the filter.
    Anyone have this issue or can offer suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks yall!

2. Jun 22, 2011 at 12:07 PM
    MacGyvR

MacGyvR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner (5VZ-FE)
    OME 2.5", 881, Dakar, Nitrochargers
    How many miles are on the truck?

I replaced my fuel filter a few weeks back, and I know what you mean about there not being much wiggle room. I just kinda went for it, I pulled hard on the filter and the fuel line and forced it out. Maybe I got lucky, I don't know. I am glad I replaced it though, the truck runs a LOT smoother now. After I pulled it out, I tapped it against the ground and a mud like substance oozed out. Mine was pretty dirty after 150k miles.

I would also check the battery with a voltmeter (if you have one). If it's taking a long time to turn over it's a pretty good bet that you need a new one.

On a side note, how is your truck running after doing the seafoam? I ran it through my vacuum lines a few weeks ago and I'm idling too low now (sometimes as low as 500rpm).

3. Jun 22, 2011 at 12:26 PM
    DblCabMN

DblCabMN Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mpls, Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    03 DC TRD/LTD
    Bilstein 5100's all around - Toytec/Eibach 112-620 Coils, Wheelers 5-Pack+Wheelers 2"AAL. 33x10.5x15 KM2s - Siped on Summit Racing 84-5883 rims with 3.750 BS. 4.88s. Demello HD round sliders. Home built full skids. Home built front bumper. Plasti'd badges. Energy Susp. steering rack bushings. Sway bar delete. Deck plate mod. aFe Pro-Dry. Gibson exhaust.
    Ditto Macgyvr - i had to 'forcibly wiggle' mine out - put the new one in and it was rad-smooth. But i had disassembled and cleaned my intake/maf/TB as well so i chalked it all up to everything.

Anyway - Just man-handle that thing. It'll come out. Just make sure the parts store gave you the correct filter prior to ripping the old one out. I had to plug it and go get a different one. I think they gave me the one for the 4cyl... or a completely different vehicle.

My truck also 'slow cranks'

I seem to remember there being a thread about this being an electrical harness issue and that Toyota has a 'fix' which includes a replacement of most of the wiring harness. But i believe it's more trouble than it's worth and is not covered by any warranty/recall - I'm going from memory here, so i could be wrong.

4. Jun 22, 2011 at 1:30 PM
    MacGyvR

MacGyvR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner (5VZ-FE)
    OME 2.5", 881, Dakar, Nitrochargers

Yeah, removing it was a little more stressful than it should have been. Toyota definitely intended for that to be a "permanent filter." I had also cleaned my throttle body plate, maf, and seafoamed the engine, but it did notice a little more smoothness after replacing the fuel filter. It could have been a placebo affect though.

Also, make sure that you tighten the bolts on the new fuel filter all the way. I was afraid of over torquing it and came out to a puddle of gasoline a few hours later... :anonymous:

5. Jun 22, 2011 at 4:14 PM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    I had that EXACT same issue about 6 months ago. Basically I had just purchased a brand new battery and went to Auto Zone to have them test the ignition system and everything checked out ok. Basically it was taking about 3-4 seconds of cranking before it would start up. Although it always started up it still made me nervous so I took it into to the dealership to have it fixed under warranty. It ended up being the fuel sensor that regulates how much pressure of fuel to feed to the injectors. If you PM me I could probably look somewhere over my receipts and get you a part number.

6. Jun 22, 2011 at 6:28 PM
    beefsteak

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4
    Grey Wire mod, Eibach and bilstein 5100s all around, Alcan leafsprings, tundra brake swap with steel lines, loose steering column weld mod, keyless/alarm mod
    Awesome! Thanks guys. I'll give the fuel filter a try again. I was afraid to break the gas line and have a bigger headache than a slow start. My truck has 140k miles on it and I seafoamed it and it smoked up the neighborhood enough that people gathered around thinking my truck caught on fire. It might be placebo effect, but I thought it gave me more pickup on acceleration. My idle seems fine though. I dunno if it has anything to do with it, but it was recommended to clean the spark plugs after seafoaming.

7. Jun 22, 2011 at 9:33 PM
    hulkit

hulkit Well-Known Member

Member:
    sacramento ca
    Vehicle:
    2000 tacoma 2.4l automatic
    140k isnt too bad i bought my truck at around 283k and around 291k i felt a bit of lag with the truck (started fine no starting issues) did seafoam spark oil air filters and decided to do the fuel filter (i tried to install it myself but had one hell of a time so i decided to take it to my cousins shop and have him do it he showed me the pressure should be around 50 pounds and my filter was only getting 2 pounds through nonetheless my truck is much smoother now

anyways mines a 2.4 2000 might be completely different scenario just thought id put in my 2 cents

8. Jun 26, 2011 at 2:19 PM
    beefsteak

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4
    Did you guys replace the fuel filter with oem part or just an advance auto purolator? I tried to look for the oem part online, but couldn't find the part number. Dunno how pertinent it would be to be oem.

9. Jun 28, 2011 at 8:36 PM
    DblCabMN

DblCabMN Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mpls, Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    03 DC TRD/LTD
    Bilstein 5100's all around - Toytec/Eibach 112-620 Coils, Wheelers 5-Pack+Wheelers 2"AAL. 33x10.5x15 KM2s - Siped on Summit Racing 84-5883 rims with 3.750 BS. 4.88s. Demello HD round sliders. Home built full skids. Home built front bumper. Plasti'd badges. Energy Susp. steering rack bushings. Sway bar delete. Deck plate mod. aFe Pro-Dry. Gibson exhaust.
    I honestly don't recall - pretty sure it was NAPA knock-off... don't recall it being in a Toyota red box.

Same here on the seafoaming, short term had smoother, 'stronger' if you will, acceleration - seems gone now - but i'm probably due for another foaming through the vacc lines.

How does one test the pressure in the fuel line? is there cheap-o tool i can buy to test it with? I'd like to know what i'm getting post-new filter...

10. Jun 28, 2011 at 9:01 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    I did mine on my 02 and got it off of RockAuto for a good price...
    It was a bitch to get out, but doable...

11. Jun 28, 2011 at 9:59 PM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    x2 on both counts. Wix filter from RockAuto, and some very tight-fitting fuel lines. Definitely doable, but be careful not to cross-thread the fittings when installing the new filter.

12. Jun 30, 2011 at 8:34 AM
    beefsteak

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4
    thanks all! much appreciated!

13. Jun 30, 2011 at 5:49 PM
    03coma

03coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD, SR5
    TRD Pro Grille, Skid Plate, TRD Cat-Back Exhaust System, 2017 Tacoma TRD Rims, ARE Series II Lid,
    Did my with the oem filter, it's hard to get those lines out but if you loosen everything , gas lines and mounting bolt, you can work one line out and then its easy after that.

Don't forget release the pressure by removing the gas cap first.

14. Aug 12, 2011 at 10:23 AM
    misterdmac

misterdmac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doostin
    In or around the truck
    Vehicle:
    '97 2.7L DLX
    I'm about to do mine. Two questions: Does opening the gas cap release pressure system-wide? Wouldn't you have to remove the fuel pump fuse and crank it to release fully? Also, my oem filter came with 4 little copper gaskets. Two pair actually, each pair in its own little baggie. Is that two a side or are those just extras? Did some searching on that but of course there are plenty of replacements to choose from, this one was $17.99 at AZ.

Hopefully if I don't have to brute it too much I'll find out about the gaskets. Cheers.

15. Aug 12, 2011 at 10:28 AM
    davidpick

davidpick NWXPDTN

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Leavenworth, WA
    Vehicle:
    1988 Pickup 22R 5sp 2wd
    Weber 32/36, RV Cam, LCE exhaust headers, Desmogged
    removing the gas cap was enough for my truck when i did it earlier this year. i don't know about the gaskets... my replacement didn't come with any.

if you don't already have a set, you'll need a line wrench to get it off. i had to go buy a set midway through the project... you have to have them.

good luck!

16. Aug 12, 2011 at 10:44 AM
    misterdmac

Member:
    First Name:
    Doostin
    In or around the truck
    Vehicle:
    '97 2.7L DLX
    Son of a....that does look handy. I'm gonna swallow my pride, go ahead and do that before I start.

17. Aug 12, 2011 at 1:03 PM
    davidpick

davidpick NWXPDTN

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Leavenworth, WA
    Vehicle:
    1988 Pickup 22R 5sp 2wd
    haha, yeah i would definitely recommend doing that before the truck's fuel lines are all torn apart. i convinced myself that i wouldn't need 'em and dug into the project, then had to hop on the motorcycle to go grab a set because i was rounding the ends. took all of 5 minutes total once i had the right wrenches! :)

here's the set i got: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00942013000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

edit: i guess they're called "flare nut wrenches"

18. Aug 12, 2011 at 1:13 PM
    misterdmac

Member:
    First Name:
    Doostin
    In or around the truck
    Vehicle:
    '97 2.7L DLX
  19. Aug 12, 2011 at 1:31 PM
    davidpick

davidpick NWXPDTN

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Leavenworth, WA
    Vehicle:
    1988 Pickup 22R 5sp 2wd
    soft lines? interesting. my 2000 3.4L has hard lines.

20. Aug 12, 2011 at 4:19 PM
    misterdmac

Member:
    First Name:
    Doostin
    In or around the truck
    Vehicle:
    '97 2.7L DLX
    They are hard all the way up from the tank, and then there's about 16 inches I'd say of foam-covered soft line between a junction on the driver side wheel well and the filter. Post filter, it's soft too but switches back to hard before it meets the injectors. Pretty nice actually, made the job virtually stress free since you don't ever have to torque against a hard line.

Products Discussed in

To Top