Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Whine

Old 06-23-2011, 12:28 AM   #1
tacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacovic's Tacoma Gallery
Whine

My 2000 v6 tacoma whines pretty good. My buddies tacoma does not whine at all. The whine is also relative to the skinney pedal. If i rev the engine a bit the whine goes up as well. Also when I push the clutch in the whine goes away. What could this be?
Old 06-23-2011, 12:40 AM   #2
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacovic View Post
My 2000 v6 tacoma whines pretty good. My buddies tacoma does not whine at all. The whine is also relative to the skinney pedal. If i rev the engine a bit the whine goes up as well. Also when I push the clutch in the whine goes away. What could this be?

It whines all the time except when clutch is in ? How about neutral ?
Old 06-23-2011, 01:07 AM   #3
tacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacovic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
It whines all the time except when clutch is in ? How about neutral ?
Ill check that out tomorrow and get back to you.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:40 AM   #6
betardfoosier is on a distinguished road
betardfoosier's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does the exact same thing, whines any time the clutch is out. Since it is always tied to engine speed rather then than truck speed, I assume it's input bearing.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:02 AM   #7
MacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
MacGyvR's Tacoma Gallery
take video? maybe you can capture the audio and we can hear it.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:04 AM   #8
BoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoostingMS6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alex
BoostingMS6's Tacoma Gallery
If the whine he's describing is the one I think it is, I doubt it would be audible enough to pick up on camera. Hard to notice except when you're the driver, and realize its relation to engine speed.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:05 AM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Probably power steering.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
flux capacitor going out?
Maybe. Or it could be the Mr. Fusion needing more trash.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:17 AM   #11
rex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSGT, BMET
rex99's Tacoma Gallery
wait for it......wait for it........
Old 06-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #12
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by REX_111_MDG_BMET View Post
wait for it......wait for it........

What are you talking about? No one said ATRAC.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:19 AM   #13
rex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rex99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
What are you talking about? No one said ATRAC.

No, not that.....waiting for something else......

Old 06-23-2011, 11:21 AM   #14
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by REX_111_MDG_BMET View Post

No, not that.....waiting for something else......

I was going to say David K shouldn't be popping in his head but then I just jinxed it.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:22 AM   #15
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
I am disappointed in you guys. It is clearly the muffler bearing.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:22 AM   #16

rex99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I was going to say David K shouldn't be popping in his head but then I just jinxed it.
Well you already said ATRAC so we can wait for that too....should be any minute now.....
Old 06-23-2011, 11:42 AM   #17

tacovic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by betardfoosier View Post
Mine does the exact same thing, whines any time the clutch is out. Since it is always tied to engine speed rather then than truck speed, I assume it's input bearing.
Yup thats what mine does. I have owned 3 1st gens tacomas and 2/3 of them made this noise. I have no clue what it is and do not know if it is something to worry about. Mine is pretty loud though. Ill try to take a video.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #18
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Throwout bearing
Old 06-23-2011, 11:54 AM   #19

tacovic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
Throwout bearing
Is there any point to changing it out if thats what it is? I dont mind the whine, I just want to make sure its not doing any damage.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #20
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacovic View Post
Is there any point to changing it out if thats what it is? I dont mind the whine, I just want to make sure its not doing any damage.

So you never answered me bro' , is it clutch in = no noise? or is it clutch out = noise, or is it noise all the time ?

Its pretty normal to hear a little noise coming from the bell housing with clutch out idling in neutral on a normally wearing clutch/assembly but excessive noise w/slipping means your clutch/pressure plate/throw out bearing is reaching end of life, how many miles you guys getting out of your clutches ? Any audio would help tons....