Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Front diff locking options. e-locker, aussie-locker, lsd?)

Old 06-28-2011, 11:02 PM   #1
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Front diff locking options. e-locker, aussie-locker, lsd?)

So I have the locking rear diff and now im wondering about options for the front. I wasn't really planning on it, and figured if I did id put in an e-locker like the rear. But I picked up an issue of 4wd Toyota enthusiast and they had an awesome write up on how to install an Aussie-locker. They didn't really describe it just show how to install it. But it sounds like a cool deal. And I don't really think I need another button to think about while driving. Plus its all mechanical. I don't completely understand how it works though...

Anyway.... this has me thinking. What kind of options are out there for the front diff? looks like the aussie locker is like 250-350. Not too bad. What about no-slip or an airlocker?
Old 07-01-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
really? no one have any thoughts?

does anyone on here have anything other than the stock open front diff on their 1st gen?

After dropping a good chunk of cash on oil, oil filter, gear oil, oil hand pump, tcase/diff washers, spark plugs, inner and outer driver side tie-rods, alignment, air filter, grease gun, grease, seafoam etc etc im not really in the money spending mood anymore. But still curious for the future.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
mat is on a distinguished road
mat's Tacoma Gallery
i personally wouldnt put an automatic locker in a front diff unless it was just a trail rig
Old 07-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #5
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
The front locker will need to be off most of the time and only rarely on for extreme climbing or mud bog crossing... as you need the front diff to be open for steering. The ARB is a great unit... if you think you will be doing EXTREME four wheeling.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
4Runner Pilot
YFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lee
YFZ_TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Automatic locker in front = fail.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #7
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
The front locker will need to be off most of the time and only rarely on for extreme climbing or mud bog crossing... as you need the front diff to be open for steering. The ARB is a great unit... if you think you will be doing EXTREME four wheeling.
I'd go Aussie since you're in FL.

It only locks when you're accelerating, and even if you have to make a tight turn, just have to a ocouple more point turn....if you saw snow i'd say go air.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:36 PM   #8
.<>./
capetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

capetaco12's Tacoma Gallery
The aussie is a fantastic locker from what i have seen. IT will only be locked when you are useing 4WD (thank you ADD) so you dont have to worry about daily driving it. IDK why people always say that an auto locker is bad in the snow, if driving conditions are bad enough to need 4WD the locker is the least of your worries. They do bind a little bit in slow tight turns so your 5 point turn in the woods might turn into a 6 point turn (assuming 4wd is on) the 2 low mod will help with this.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #9
shit happens then you die
jobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Josh
jobrien's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by capetaco12 View Post
The aussie is a fantastic locker from what i have seen. IT will only be locked when you are useing 4WD (thank you ADD) so you dont have to worry about daily driving it. IDK why people always say that an auto locker is bad in the snow, if driving conditions are bad enough to need 4WD the locker is the least of your worries. They do bind a little bit in slow tight turns so your 5 point turn in the woods might turn into a 6 point turn (assuming 4wd is on) the 2 low mod will help with this.
You could always go with the good old Lincoln locker
Old 07-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #10
.<>./
capetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

capetaco12's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobrien View Post
You could always go with the good old Lincoln locker
MMMmm you could then you would have to make an 8 point turn But they make wicked sweet drag racing noises when you drive in circles.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #11
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by capetaco12 View Post
I've never driven in the winter with a front locker, but turning is hard enough whenever you need 4wd, and when you add in a locker i'm sure it doesnt make it any easier to turn
Old 07-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #12
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Automatic lockers in the front are amazing but not really a good idea with ADD. My buddy put one in his '97 with ADD and had a heck of a time until he put manual hubs on. Now he is unstoppable.

If you can afford it, a selectable locker in front is a much better choice with ADD. You can turn it on exactly when you need it. You do not want to drive in slick conditions with an auto locker except slow speed trails.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:18 PM   #13
alove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Adam
alove0750's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running a Spartan in my 01, but I also have automatic hubs. I have heard that a good synthetic will not make it as noticeable. I dont know how true that is, but I run the Lucas Synthetic in my differentials and transfer case