1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AAL install, now vibration????

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Sign Guy, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Jun 30, 2011 at 5:32 AM
    Sign Guy

Sign Guy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    DrugRunner V6, 2wd
    Nice Rims, Big Tires, Carryboy Shell, Added Rosta Cruise Control & Ultraguage, 5100 Bilsteins All around
    So the other day a buddy and I installed the AAL from Toytechlifts. Seems like a pretty straight forward thing to do IMO. I get out yesterday (1 day with it installed) and I get this horrendous vibration peaking about 25 mph - WTH?:mad:

Last night I get home and decide to loosen up the U-bolts. (I found the front driver side tight as all get out and the rears loose, the passenger side both front & back were tight but not feeling torqued and both sets were torqued properly the night before). I thought I'd drive forward 10 feet or so then reverse a few times to maybe help straighten out whatever the issue might be. I torque the bolts down and go for a spin, same thing???

When we removed & replaced the leaf pack we did not remove the shocks or unhook them (I don't know if that matters). Also the drive shaft may have slipped out of the rear end (it was close and my buddy had it hooked back up before I could get over to help.)

The truck (at the rear wheel) was raised about 2" if that makes any difference.

Anyone got any ideas??? :confused: Bueller? Bueller?

I've got a 1000+ round trip I'm starting tomorrow and don't like the idea of having to stop every hour to check the torque on the rear bolts from any vibration issues or have to worry about it:mad:

2. Jun 30, 2011 at 5:48 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    I don't think the driving back and forth will do anything. Just make sure the centering pins on the leaf pack fit into the holes in the spring perches and torque the U-bolts down to proper spec.

You may end up having to do axle shims and/or a Carrier bearing drop.

3. Jun 30, 2011 at 8:13 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Try dropping the carrier bearing a 1/2". Its easy to do. Use a stack of washers, the two bolts are long enough to accommodate that much. If it reduces the vibe you know your onto something. You can buy kits that will drop it further.

Products Discussed in

To Top