1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Words of wisdom needed!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by meatman, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Jul 5, 2011 at 2:52 PM
    meatman

meatman [OP] I deal with dead animals

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Murphy N.C.
    Vehicle:
    (built) 04 Tacoma SR5 4x4 and 01 TRD 4x4 DD
    I'm getting ready to install a new set of Wheelers 5 leaf pack and Bilstien 5100 on all corners. What is the worst case scenero that i might face. All the bolts for springs are not really rusted at all. Can this be done with hand tools or are air tools a must. I plan on having a shop put in the front shocks because i'm not friendly with spring compressors. I have read so many posts my head hurts

2. Jul 5, 2011 at 2:58 PM
    FLtaco

FLtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Cocoa beach, fl
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner dc
    Painted stock wheels, bfg km2s, 5100s front and rear, tc spindles, add a leaf, 3" block, debaged, flowmaster exhaust, 2nd air filter removed, wheel spacers and k&n air filter
    I've done front and rear suspension work twice and never used air-tools always hand tools. Takes longer on disassemble then it would with air, but I don't own air tools. Also if anything only pay to have coils put on new 5100s and removed from old ones and do install yourself. My local tirekingdom or tireplus( not sure which) did it for 40$. Otherwise you'll pay a couple hundred easy

3. Jul 5, 2011 at 4:09 PM
    Blumpkinson

Blumpkinson Fuelled by plutonium and wild animals

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OR
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 5spd
    I did my ome dakar leafs and 5100's w/ all hand tools. Mine were rusty as hell and i had to burn the bushing in the leaf eye out since it seized to the bolt. Besides that it was fairly straight foward, make sure to have a buddy help out. It's always better to have a spare set of hands/eyes to make sure you don't mess anything up.

4. Jul 5, 2011 at 4:12 PM
    FLtaco

FLtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Cocoa beach, fl
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner dc
    Painted stock wheels, bfg km2s, 5100s front and rear, tc spindles, add a leaf, 3" block, debaged, flowmaster exhaust, 2nd air filter removed, wheel spacers and k&n air filter
    Yep buddy is good to

5. Jul 5, 2011 at 4:14 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    It is doable with hand tools. Soak the bolts in PB Blaster for a couple of days before you do it. A mapp gas torch will help if you can't get an oxy-acy torch.
    The problem on the leaf bolts, is that the bushing will fuse to the bolt. When that happens, you'll need patience and heat. Blaster, heat, beat, repeat. Beware of flaming rubber and fuel lines!

6. Jul 5, 2011 at 4:29 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    PB Blaster is your friend!

Some people have had trouble getting the front eye bolts on the leaf springs loose and have had to get 'creative' in their extraction. Have a new set on hand just in case. Other than that the rear end is pretty easy to do! If you're taking it to a shop for the front end make sure that they understand how the 5100's work and what setting you want them on. I learned that one the hard way! :mad:

7. Jul 5, 2011 at 6:24 PM
    G scott04

G scott04 ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
    did you get new front coil springs?
    you'll thank yourself later when you decide to put new ones on and you wont have to take it apart twice, I used the spring compressor you rent from autozone... worked fine
    but would prefer not to do it again... and yes only have the shop just put the coil onto the shock not install all of it that is doable by yourself,
    good luck!!

8. Jul 5, 2011 at 6:40 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    As others have said:
    Lots of pre-soaking with PB blaster.
    Hand tools should be adequate.
    Get extra eye bolts. It's not easy to find the right size bolt locally if you need it.
    You may need to cut them off. Angle grinder.
    Got your torque wrench ready? Does it go to, uh, I think it 116 lbs for the front eye bolt?
    The front coil assemblies are easy to R&R yourself. Take them to a shop to have the shock R&Rd from the coil assembly. HINT: Have them save and give to you the "retainer" from the stock shocks (under the "suspension support" in the attached PDF)! It is a special little flanged washer that is special order from Toyota. The 5100 install calls for removing them, but if you ever put on a different shock, you will need them again.

Attached Files:

9. Jul 6, 2011 at 6:32 AM
    meatman

meatman [OP] I deal with dead animals

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Murphy N.C.
    Vehicle:
    (built) 04 Tacoma SR5 4x4 and 01 TRD 4x4 DD
    Thanks for all the advice! I am going to attempt this but i will get some new eye bolts first. Mine dont look bad on the outside but i also cant see inside them so if i need them i will have them.

Products Discussed in

To Top