Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Custom Spare Tire Lock

Old 07-06-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
Rusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rusty White Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Custom Spare Tire Lock

I searched and searched, but couldn’t find what I consider to be a good solution for a spare tire lock. It seems as though Winchlock was the closest to a “good” solution that I could find, but they appear to have gone out of business and their products are no longer available. With that in mind, and knowing that I have a $200 tire and a $200 wheel free for the taking, I set out to make a “good” spare tire lock on my own. Here’s what I came up with:

I bought a MasterLock 5/8” hitch receiver lock.

I took some scrap steel (some flat bar and some angle iron) I had laying around and made a U-shaped bracket, with two mounting holes in the legs of the “U” (for bolting to the frame cross member) and a 11/16” hole in the bottom of the “U” (for putting the shaft of the hitch receiver lock through). I welded it all together (including welding the hitch receiver lock shaft to the bottom of the “U”), gave it a coat of paint, drilled the appropriate holes in the frame, and bolted it up. Here are the results:

View from passenger’s side, without the tire pulled up (obviously):

View from the driver’s side, without the tire pulled up (obviously):

View of the tire pulled up (notice the lock shaft sitting nicely through the lug hole):

View of the lock actually locked:

This was a $12.50 solution ($12 of which was the lock, $0.50 was scrap steel) and works as good as, if not better than, any other solution out there (i.e. a cable lock, which can be cut, etc.). I tried to get the spare tire off without unlocking the lock and it’s virtually impossible (extreme exceptions aside). I hope this helps someone do the same.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
well.....
Rustyota has a spectacular aura aboutRustyota has a spectacular aura aboutRustyota has a spectacular aura about

Rustyota's Tacoma Gallery
That's an awesome solution!! Wanna build one for me?? I'd be willing to pay for that!
Old 07-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #4
Rusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty White Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowyer2002 View Post
Great idea!
Very innovative!
Thanks man! I appreciate the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyota View Post
That's an awesome solution!! Wanna build one for me?? I'd be willing to pay for that!
Yeah, we can build one. We can have a wrenching day and we'll make one for a 2nd gen and post that build...
Old 07-06-2011, 09:42 PM   #5
NegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shedNegroTundra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NegroTundra's Tacoma Gallery
This is what the forum is about...nice to see someone taking action and not whining.....great job and points for sure
Old 07-07-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
well.....
Rustyota has a spectacular aura aboutRustyota has a spectacular aura aboutRustyota has a spectacular aura about

Rustyota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty White Taco View Post
Yeah, we can build one. We can have a wrenching day and we'll make one for a 2nd gen and post that build...
Awesome! I'm in!!!
Old 07-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegroTundra View Post
This is what the forum is about...nice to see someone taking action and not whining.....great job and points for sure
Thanks!!!
Old 09-09-2011, 06:48 PM   #8
jiveturkee is a jewel in the roughjiveturkee is a jewel in the roughjiveturkee is a jewel in the roughjiveturkee is a jewel in the rough

Coast Guard:
Name: Jake
jiveturkee's Tacoma Gallery
A great solution to a common problem. I wish I seen this thread before my spare was stolen. If you are down to make these I'm interested in buying one before my replacement spare gets lifted too. How much would you want to make one for me?
Old 09-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiveturkee View Post
A great solution to a common problem. I wish I seen this thread before my spare was stolen. If you are down to make these I'm interested in buying one before my replacement spare gets lifted too. How much would you want to make one for me?
I won't have access to a 2nd gen until November. Once I make that one, I'll let you know if I would be able to make some and, if so, how much it would cost. Stay tuned...
Old 10-07-2011, 08:52 AM   #10
aznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

aznutx's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd i might be in for one too depending on price, btw awesome job
Old 01-08-2012, 01:04 AM   #11
Jumper's Leds
csjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: 2nd class petty officer
Name: chris
csjumper2003's Tacoma Gallery
Subd Definetely interested. Was about to buy the factory lock Toyota has came up with.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:29 PM   #12
jiveturkee is a jewel in the roughjiveturkee is a jewel in the roughjiveturkee is a jewel in the roughjiveturkee is a jewel in the rough

Coast Guard:
Name: Jake
jiveturkee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I won't have access to a 2nd gen until November. Once I make that one, I'll let you know if I would be able to make some and, if so, how much it would cost. Stay tuned...
Did you ever get your hands on a second gen?
Old 01-31-2012, 09:38 PM   #13
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Good idea if you are going to steal a spare off a Tacoma you need the crank, I don't know if there all interchangeable or not, why not bolt a chain to the frame where the bracket is bolted in the first picture let the chain it fall thru a hole in the wheel, as you crank the spare up, loop it thru the wheel again and padlock it.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #14
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
knowing that I have a $200 tire and a $200 wheel free for the taking, I set out to make a “good” spare tire lock on my own. Here’s what I came up with:

This was a $12.50 solution ($12 of which was the lock, $0.50 was scrap steel) and works as good as, if not better than, any other solution out there (i.e. a cable lock, which can be cut, etc.). I tried to get the spare tire off without unlocking the lock and it’s virtually impossible (extreme exceptions aside). I hope this helps someone do the same.

I love this website and community
Old 02-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #17
jackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shedjackhart is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jackhart's Tacoma Gallery
I actually work for Master Lock, and I think this is a great idea!! Glad to see our products at work in new and extremely useful ways.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #18
tractng is on a distinguished road
tractng's Tacoma Gallery
Would a cable with a lock work? I got a set from walmart but never look down on the tacoma. I am basing on the past car I had. I am thinking of wrapping the cable around the spare tire and chaining it to the "chain" (the one that hoists the spare up and down) that comes with the truck.

Any feedback on this?
Old 01-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #19
libagui is a name known to alllibagui is a name known to alllibagui is a name known to alllibagui is a name known to alllibagui is a name known to alllibagui is a name known to all

libagui's Tacoma Gallery
I just build this for my wife 4runner..!
Attached Thumbnails
Custom Spare Tire Lock-imag2258.jpg   Custom Spare Tire Lock-imag2259.jpg  
Old 01-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #20
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
BAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Edward
BAMFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by libagui View Post
I just build this for my wife 4runner..!
That's a neat little idea. It will probably look better once you grind the welds and paint it