1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First gen buy a good deal???

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Taylor1993, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Jul 8, 2011 at 11:12 AM
    Taylor1993

Taylor1993 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    sold my Tacoma, need to buy a 1st gen now =]
    I had this guy approach me about this truck what do you all think??

Here is info

I have a 1997 Tacoma (green, 5spd, V6, extended cab, campertop, LX package).* I am the original owner and it has 220K miles on the truck.* I've taken excellent care of the truck and it's in pretty darn good shape for being 14 years old... I'm considering purchasing a new Tacoma and will need to sell this one.* It has been trouble free and I love the truck.* I'm having a bit of indigestion over getting a new one, but I don't have the locking rear differential and I now live in the mountains and have about a mile of road to snow plow - it would help to have the rear locker for days when I don't have time to plow.
    Since I am the original owner and it's in very good shape, I want to sell for $5,500.* If this is in your price range, please let me know and I'll send some pictures and the VIN for your research use
    Yes, it's about 15K miles per year.** I've owned it since new, changed the timing belt twice and taken really good care of it, I've done my own oil changes every 3,000 to 5,000 miles since 1997 with Penzoil 5W30 (same oil every time).*
    Based on it's condition, it's hard to believe its 14 years old.*
    I do not have it posted on Craigslist (yet).* I haven't quite committed 100% to sell but I'm probably 95% there.* I'll email you some pictures this weekend.*
    I need to review my records.* I've had Toyota replace the timing belt twice and the water pump once.* I also had Toyota replace the slave cylinder on the clutch (I need to review my records at home for the dates and mileage).** When I had the slave cylinder replaced at Boulder Toyota I asked them tell me when/if I needed the clutch replaced (I basically offered them a blank check and said repalce the clutch if you think it's time).* The maintence supervisor said he did some kind of stall test in 1st through 5th gear to gage the clutch wear and said he would not recommend replacing the clutch!* I was pretty surprised but I didn't argue with him.* I've lived in Montana with the truck for part of it's life and then Boulder (where I biked to work) ** That said, I've never done much City driving or stop/go traffic.* The miles don't represent intense clutch use and I've been the primary driver for the whole life of the truck and I know how to drive a stick.* My wife on the other hand....* she is horrible on a clutch and doesn't drive the truck unless she's got no other option which is very rare.
    So that said, the clutch is original, and is a potential replacement item.* I'll look through my file tonight when I get home and get you the dates/mileage for the* timing belt, water pump and slave cylinder.*
    One other item of note, I've replaced the rear leaf springs this year with a standard replacement springs from Car Quest (no lift kit stuff).* The original Toyota leaf springs that I took off where not that robust and one leaf had rusted to the point of cracking.* I asked a mechanic about it and he said he was surpised my original springs had lasted this long!* Apparently the OEM toyota springs from the late 90's are not that robust.* If you get an older Tacoma, make sure you take a close look at the rear leaf springs.

2. Jul 8, 2011 at 11:18 AM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    Dosent sound that bad, but I wouldnt spend $5,500 on it.

3. Jul 8, 2011 at 11:21 AM
    Taylor1993

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    I was thinking more like 2500-3000 personally.

4. Jul 8, 2011 at 11:25 AM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc

2500 is lowwww. it think it seems about right. but of course, offer him 4500 cash and see if he would take it then work your way up

5. Jul 8, 2011 at 12:22 PM
    Taylor1993

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Yes but if he'd take it .... I was hoping to get some more personal preference on the thing from you guys ..

Products Discussed in

To Top