Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

3.5 rear end

Old 10-15-2008, 09:48 PM   #1
mudjunkie is on a distinguished road

mudjunkie's Tacoma Gallery
3.5 rear end

RZN161L-TRMDKAB 3.583 what does this 3.583 mean i am sure it is my rear end gearing what exactly does it mean
Old 10-15-2008, 09:54 PM   #2
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
well, if im understanding correctly, then you want to know what 3.58 gearing means for you...
basically the pinion gear(input) has to spin 3.58 times to spin the ring grear once, so the driveshaft will spin 3.58 times more than the tires do.
A 3.58 is a 'tall' (numerically low) gearing so it will yield you good fuel economy from letting the engine run at a lower RPM while cruising the highway or freeway.
hope this is what you were looking for.....
Old 10-15-2008, 10:02 PM   #3

thanks now my truck is 4 wheel drve and i would like to put biger tires on it 32 or 33 but will i have to regear it and is this gearing considered weak
Old 10-15-2008, 10:05 PM   #4
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudjunkie View Post
thanks now my truck is 4 wheel drve and i would like to put biger tires on it 32 or 33 but will i have to regear it and is this gearing considered weak
actually, this is a strong gear set. the lower the gearing(numerically higher like 5.29) is actually weaker because the pinion gear gets smaller and the teeth are also smaller on the gearset since there are more of them on the ring and the pinion gear got smaller. i'd say that with the 4cyl and 32 or 33's a set of 4.10 gears would probably be a good match.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:40 PM   #5

thanks for the good info i get confused with this gearing stuff
Old 10-16-2008, 06:00 AM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme450 View Post
actually, this is a strong gear set. the lower the gearing(numerically higher like 5.29) is actually weaker because the pinion gear gets smaller and the teeth are also smaller on the gearset since there are more of them on the ring and the pinion gear got smaller. i'd say that with the 4cyl and 32 or 33's a set of 4.10 gears would probably be a good match.
Generally the gears arnt weaker until around 5.29's or more. Event though the pinion may be a little smaller, more teeth can engauge the ring gear at any given time, thus giveing an increase in the strenghth. The weak link is not always the size, but the teeth. For example, a Toyota 29 spline shaft is the same size as a Toyota 31 spline shaft, but the 31 spline shaft is stronger because there is more contact surface area, by haveing more teeth.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:59 AM   #7
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme450 View Post
well, if im understanding correctly, then you want to know what 3.58 gearing means for you...
basically the pinion gear(input) has to spin 3.58 times to spin the ring grear once, so the driveshaft will spin 3.58 times more than the tires do.
A 3.58 is a 'tall' (numerically low) gearing so it will yield you good fuel economy from letting the engine run at a lower RPM while cruising the highway or freeway.
hope this is what you were looking for.....
I have never taken the time to research this to find out what all the "gearing" stuff means, but always wondered.

Thanks for the info. It makes COMPLETE sense!

As far as oversized tires go, your speedo gets all jacked up. Is having that recalibrated the same thing as "re-gearing"? Do you have to change your gearing ratio to correct the speedometer for the larger tires?
Old 10-16-2008, 10:11 AM   #8
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Wilkerson View Post
As far as oversized tires go, your speedo gets all jacked up. Is having that recalibrated the same thing as "re-gearing"? Do you have to change your gearing ratio to correct the speedometer for the larger tires?
You can change the gearing to correct the speedo, but, since the speedo is electric, many times using an speedo calibrator is just as effective.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:44 PM   #9
350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

350TacoZilla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 350TacoZilla
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
You can change the gearing to correct the speedo, but, since the speedo is electric, many times using an speedo calibrator is just as effective.

electric speedo on a 1st gen.... what you talkin bout willis
Old 10-18-2008, 10:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
electric speedo on a 1st gen.... what you talkin bout willis
Ooopsie....I thought it was an '06....
Old 10-19-2008, 07:51 AM   #11
350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

350TacoZilla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 350TacoZilla
ha ha its ok I just had to catch you on it... but since molly is so cute I'll let it go this time
Old 10-19-2008, 08:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
ha ha its ok I just had to catch you on it... but since molly is so cute I'll let it go this time
LOL, Thanks, Buddy.
I think she is getting tired of bailing me out.