Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What happens to break lines and steering rod when adding Bilstein 5100's

Old 07-13-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
"I Brake for Tailgaters"
prerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
prerunnerSD's Tacoma Gallery
What happens to break lines and steering rod when adding Bilstein 5100's

What happens to break lines and steering rod when adding Bilstein 5100's set at full extention and rear leafs... Do you have to extend the break lines, does it alter the function of the steering rods? Will it require longer break lines, should I get them anyway for safety?

I drive in the snow and rain a lot and worry about safety...Under this current setup and possibly P265 75 16 sized tires, Will it take longer to stop and will you loose some control over the vehicle?

Just don't wanna risk loose everything on safety just to have the better look and performance of this lift.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
First is first, It is brake lines not break lines.

The steering components don't go anywhere so there is no mods needed. The brakes likes have enough slack because the amount of travel in the suspension doesn't change.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
always tinkering
bowyer2002 is a jewel in the roughbowyer2002 is a jewel in the roughbowyer2002 is a jewel in the roughbowyer2002 is a jewel in the rough

bowyer2002's Tacoma Gallery
^ beat me to it!
*brake* lines
will need to be extened in the rear (if it is a 2.5" lift i presume) - I have done it on 2 tacomas: one used flexable line and the other was hard lined.
also you will have to adjust your brake proportining valve to the lift to retain the brakes.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
First is first, It is brake lines not break lines.

The steering components don't go anywhere so there is no mods needed. The brakes likes have enough slack because the amount of travel in the suspension doesn't change.
^^Bam

In the rear, it depends on how how high you go. With just an AAL, you don't need new brake lines. A lifted vehicle will handle differently than a stock vehicle. You'll have to get used to any changes and adjust your driving habits accordingly but small lifts and slightly oversized tires won't produce a huge change but will affect braking distance to a degree (I would argue it's unnoticeable for the tire size you're considering). Lifting raises the center of gravity which means it will be more unstable in corners. If you aknowledge that you bought a truck and not a sports car, and drive it as a truck, you will be fine and not find yourself at a loss trying to control the truck.