1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What happens to break lines and steering rod when adding Bilstein 5100's

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by prerunnerSD, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Jul 13, 2011 at 10:57 AM
    prerunnerSD

prerunnerSD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma Limited 6 cylinder 4X4
    Grill guard Front and rear Bilstein 5100's Front Coilovers Rear AAL "I Brake for Tailgaters" Firestone Destination A/T (P265/75/R16)
    What happens to break lines and steering rod when adding Bilstein 5100's set at full extention and rear leafs... Do you have to extend the break lines, does it alter the function of the steering rods? Will it require longer break lines, should I get them anyway for safety?

I drive in the snow and rain a lot and worry about safety...Under this current setup and possibly P265 75 16 sized tires, Will it take longer to stop and will you loose some control over the vehicle?

Just don't wanna risk loose everything on safety just to have the better look and performance of this lift.

2. Jul 13, 2011 at 11:09 AM
    bowyer2002

bowyer2002 always tinkering

Member:
    NE Missouri
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco SR5 D-cab 4WD
    OME 882s, OME shocks all around and OME Dakar spring packs, ARB, Warn 8000, ARE shell, Custom rear bumper w/ reciever, 5-235/80R17 Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX on FJ wheels, grey wire mod, Hi-Lift, Hellas, Red-Line hood lifters, Scion radio, sliders, Safari snorkel & LED Ditch lights on CBI mounts.
    ^ beat me to it!
    *brake* lines
    will need to be extened in the rear (if it is a 2.5" lift i presume) - I have done it on 2 tacomas: one used flexable line and the other was hard lined.
    also you will have to adjust your brake proportining valve to the lift to retain the brakes.

3. Jul 13, 2011 at 11:11 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    ^^Bam

In the rear, it depends on how how high you go. With just an AAL, you don't need new brake lines. A lifted vehicle will handle differently than a stock vehicle. You'll have to get used to any changes and adjust your driving habits accordingly but small lifts and slightly oversized tires won't produce a huge change but will affect braking distance to a degree (I would argue it's unnoticeable for the tire size you're considering). Lifting raises the center of gravity which means it will be more unstable in corners. If you aknowledge that you bought a truck and not a sports car, and drive it as a truck, you will be fine and not find yourself at a loss trying to control the truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top