1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Too much hot air!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mark73, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Jul 13, 2011 at 1:11 PM
    mark73

mark73 [OP] Noob :-/

Member:
    Poconos
    Vehicle:
    Green '02 TRD SR5 4x4
    Auto-Starter, 5-point harness rear seats, XM
    Hi all. New here and would greatly appreciate any help on this.

I have an '02 DC V6, SR5, TRD.

My problem: All the vents will only blow Hot air. If I turn on the A/C, I still get hot air, just cooled down a little. The only way to prevent hot air from coming through the vents is to have the fan turned off, and the Recirc button on.

I've pulled the dash apart and made sure that the temp control switch is working and properly connected. All OK.

When I turn the temp control knob, (w/the engine off) I can hear a motor or something kick on, like the valve is being moved, but still only hot air from the vents.

This issue started a few months ago, but was intermittent. When it first started happening, I could get the cool air to flow if I turned the knob back and forth a few times. That method doesn't work anymore.

I never had any of these types of problems before I had my frame replaced. Could this possibly be a problem related to that? Is there something that Toyota could have done to cause this when they put my truck back together?

2. Jul 13, 2011 at 1:13 PM
    brettb

brettb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    '99 Tacoma
    You probably dont have the A/C belt anymore for some reason. I found out that mine broke because it was sitting on the skid plate. But yeah if you dont have a A/C belt you have 2 choices:Hot and outside temperature temp

3. Jul 13, 2011 at 1:17 PM
    yummjake

yummjake Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    00' EXT Tacoma 4wd
    5100's, Toytec coils, all-pro standard 3" lift leaf springs.
    Also check the compressor, I had the same thing. My compressor wheel was really loose, turns out, I was missing the bolt for the center of it. Put in a new bolt and now I've got ice cold air. Good luck.

4. Jul 13, 2011 at 1:25 PM
    brettb

brettb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    '99 Tacoma
    x2 check a lot of things. My reason is that the belt is gone but now thinking about it i dont think thats your problem.

5. Jul 13, 2011 at 4:45 PM
    bicklebok

bicklebok Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronnie
    Montgomery, AL
    Vehicle:
    2000 Xtra Cab 4x4 SR5
    Is it hot air, as in the heater is on hot? Did you check the valve on the firewall that controls water going to the heater core?

When you turn the compressor on, look to see of the compressor clutch engages. Have someone turn on the compressor while your looking at it.

6. Jul 14, 2011 at 5:29 AM
    mark73

Member:
    Poconos
    Vehicle:
    Green '02 TRD SR5 4x4
    Its not an A/C problem. That all works, just that its trying to cool off HOT air. The heater is stuck on.
    As I originally stated, I can hear what appears to be the valve mechanism working when I change the temperature control knob.

Where would I look on the firewall for this valve? What's it look like? Is it easy to find?

7. Jul 14, 2011 at 5:39 AM
    bicklebok

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronnie
    Montgomery, AL
    Vehicle:
    2000 Xtra Cab 4x4 SR5
    I didnt drive my truck to work today. Otherwise, I would take a picture for you.

It's easy to find. It's a black plastic box with a cable running to it. It has a water hose connection on both sides of it and its mounted right on the firewall. You cant miss it.
    I have never messed with mine and only glanced at it. I could be wrong but I believe just from glancing at it, that the cable attached to it regulates coolant going to the heater core in the cab which is controlling how much heat you get.

8. Jul 14, 2011 at 5:43 AM
    mark73

Member:
    Poconos
    Vehicle:
    Green '02 TRD SR5 4x4
    Thanks. I'll take a look. Sounds like what I'm looking for.

9. Jul 14, 2011 at 8:17 AM
    mark73

Member:
    Poconos
    Vehicle:
    Green '02 TRD SR5 4x4
    I was able to move the valve by hand.
    I have to visit a customer this afternoon, about and hour away, so I will see if my problem is solved (at least for now).

Thanks bicklebok!

10. Jul 15, 2011 at 6:48 AM
    mark73

Member:
    Poconos
    Vehicle:
    Green '02 TRD SR5 4x4
    The valve must have been stuck in the middle. I moved it in the wrong direction (pulled the cable in). I drove for about 5 miles and it started to really get warm in the cab. I pulled over and turned the valve the other way (pulled the cable out about 2 inches) and started to get cooler air and cold A/C.

Next I'll have to dig further into the dash to find out where the loose connection is.

11. Jul 15, 2011 at 6:59 AM
    bicklebok

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronnie
    Montgomery, AL
    Vehicle:
    2000 Xtra Cab 4x4 SR5
    Awesome! Well, your on the right track and you have ac in the meantime!

12. Jul 15, 2011 at 11:23 AM
    mark73

Member:
    Poconos
    Vehicle:
    Green '02 TRD SR5 4x4
    and if I don't get around to fixin it by winter, I'll just move it again.

13. Jul 19, 2011 at 11:54 PM
    mtucker

mtucker Tacoma addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Escondido, CA.
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner DC
    Replaced chrome badges with Sockmonkey black badges, painted billet grill black, K&N cold air intake, my corner light turn signal circuit, Speedfreek traction bars, RAAMaudio BXT/Ensolite, Stereo: Kenwood KIV-701 USB/Bluetooth deck, 10" Pioneer shallow sub behind the rear seat, Infinity 6822cf 6x8 front and rear doors, Fosgate P400-2 (sub), US Acoustics USX-4065 (four main speakers)
    I have always thought that my vent air was more hot than it should be (not hot, but noticeably warmer than outside air). With the truck running, the temperature knob in the cab makes the valve move. When full on, the arm is just about straight up and down (vertical), but when set for no heat the arm is a ways from horizontal. In the picture you can see its position somewhere between horizontal and vertical. I tried pulling on it by hand, but it didn't want to go more horizontal. Can anybody check theirs to see if their arm goes completely horizontal?
    Thanks,
    Matt
    [​IMG]

14. Jul 20, 2011 at 12:57 AM
    mtucker

mtucker Tacoma addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Escondido, CA.
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner DC
    Replaced chrome badges with Sockmonkey black badges, painted billet grill black, K&N cold air intake, my corner light turn signal circuit, Speedfreek traction bars, RAAMaudio BXT/Ensolite, Stereo: Kenwood KIV-701 USB/Bluetooth deck, 10" Pioneer shallow sub behind the rear seat, Infinity 6822cf 6x8 front and rear doors, Fosgate P400-2 (sub), US Acoustics USX-4065 (four main speakers)
    Got curious and pulled the arm off. Nope, it can't go completely horizontal because the arm has a stub on it that will hit another stub on the valve bracket (acting as a stop). It wasn't actually hitting the stop so I popped the gold clip and slid the plastic sleeve that has the metal cable running inside over a bit..... making the valve want to close a bit more. It isn't much, but before the adjustment even one click on the cab temperature control would warm up the vent air a bit. Maybe this will do it.

Matt

Products Discussed in

To Top