1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shop screwed up- what to do?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Dave.Bc, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Jul 13, 2011 at 2:44 PM
    Dave.Bc

Dave.Bc [OP] Member

Member:
    Kamloops
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    Billy 5100's front and rear, Eibach coils, Toy-tec AAL, grey wire mod, deckplate, pioneer deck and speakers, JL amp and sub in a stealthbox
    Hey guys,
    I'm about to lift my 98 ext cab taco. Right now I have the 3" eibach coils for the front along with the Billy 5100s. For the back, I have the add-a-leaf from toytec, and had ordered 5100s for that as well. The shop that I ordered through just called to let me know that instead of getting rear 5100's, they got shipped the blue/yellow Billy HD's. The guy (not a mechanic, just works the front desk) was assuring me that they would work just as well as the 5100's and that they are practically the same shock. I'm not sure if I trust this opinion, as this shop mostly deals with lifting fords and chevys etc.
    I know that there are a lot of guys on here with more knowledge than the shop employee, so I'm just wondering if the HD's will be what I'm looking for. Will they give the same amount of lift as the 5100's with the rear add a leaf, and are they even compatible with a lifted truck? I want a level lift- not something shorter or taller than the front. Will they ride stiffer? From some searches around the site it appears that some people aren't happy with the HD's claiming they have no road manners... The most weight I ever have in the back is a canopy in the winter, and I regularly haul 1-2 dirtbikes from spring till fall ( around 500 pounds max.)
    Basically, I'm just wondering if I should raise a fuss at the shop and get them to re-order the proper shocks
    Thanks!

2. Jul 13, 2011 at 2:46 PM
    blue97taco

blue97taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    alex
    Raleigh, Nc
    the rear shocks dont lift the truck, the leafs do

3. Jul 13, 2011 at 3:01 PM
    TacoSID138

TacoSID138 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner TRD
    Faded out tinted tails and 3rd brake light,deck-plate mod, dumped Flow Master 40, King EXTD coil overs, 1.5 AP shackles, AP EXPD leafs. 285 Hankook DynaPro ATM tires
    Reorder the 5100s. Yes shocks don't lift the truck, but the 5100s are longer length than the stock billys.

Products Discussed in

To Top