1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame Reinforcement?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mike92y, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Jul 16, 2011 at 1:52 PM
    mike92y

mike92y [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OFF ROAD
    OME all around. SPC UCA. This and that.
    Has anyone here instaalled frame reinforcements plates to their truck? I was thinking of doing this with Trail Gear plates http://www.frontier4x4.com/Trail-GearTacomaRearFrameReinforcementPlates

I bought this truck in PA but live in Arizona now. I have 1997 truck and have had the frame inspected and it was fine but when I installed my lift I notced some rusting in the rear end. I did receive a letter from Toyota telling me if my truck was registered in PA still I could take it in and have it undercoated in PA but I am in Arizona now. Well I did bust rust and paint when I did the lift but I did a half ass job because of time restraints. This being a 1997 truck Toyota will scrape her if the frame fails. I sort of love this truck, so I don't want that. I am planning on undercoating the rear myself but I was thinking the reinforcement plates might not be a bad insurrance policy. My next duty station may be Iowa or some other shit hole where they salt the piss out of the roads in the winter. I have never drivin a vehicle to 1/2 million miles and my goal with this truck is just that.
    What do you all think???

2. Jul 16, 2011 at 2:05 PM
    1Bigbird

1Bigbird Yo! Wat up peeps?

Member:
    winter-peg
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD D-Cab
    Sounds good!
    I never used them mine was bought back.
    Prep before welding is important, don't want it to rust though after, and pics!

3. Jul 16, 2011 at 2:25 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
  4. Jul 16, 2011 at 5:22 PM
    TanSR5x4

TanSR5x4 Hold my beer and watch this

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Deckplate mod, black KC slimlight fogs, hurculined bed, NRA sticker mod, painted rear chrome bumper black, black fender flares and front grill surround, HIDs, All-pro rear leafs and UCAs, Eibach coilovers, billys all around, flat black pro comps, 31x10.5x15 BFG KM2s
    or box it?

5. Jul 17, 2011 at 3:12 PM
    mike92y

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OFF ROAD
    To much work and from what I read you have to move the spare tire to the bed. I like the spare where it is.

6. Jul 17, 2011 at 4:25 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Undercoat the hell out of it....;)

7. Jul 17, 2011 at 10:54 PM
    mike92y

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OFF ROAD
    Yep thats what I am thinking after maybe the frame reinforcement. I have been looking at this site http://www.eastwood.com/rust-solutions.html

Was thinking of taking off the rear axle and adding a leaf to my wheelers 5 leaf pack and busting rust and then undercoating. Plan to take my time and this truck ready for another couple hundred thousand miles. Who knows in three years I may be in Alaska or Iowa. God I hate Iowa. Never realized that till I moved away and found the forest in PA and the desert here in Arizona.

8. Jul 17, 2011 at 11:07 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

Yep , theres a whole other world out past the farm belt, I know this from going to Kansas/Nebraska every summer for family reunions (Dad was born/raised in Kansas, mom's an Okie) so all too familiar with flatlands & miles of crops in the fields...;)

9. Jul 19, 2011 at 8:10 PM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.

Products Discussed in

To Top