1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Timing question - 2rz Won't start

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 87xjmike, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Jul 20, 2011 at 2:38 PM
    87xjmike

87xjmike [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Folsom
    Vehicle:
    98 5lug 2rz
    downey mid travel 2wd set up
    Ok so my re-assembled motor won't start. I've checked that i do in fact have spark and the spark plug smelled like gas so i'm guessing i'm getting fuel but i haven't pulled a fuel line yet to see if its actually flowing. The plug was new and was not fowled up. Truck has been sitting for almost 6 months so i put some 89 in the tank.

I had my roomate spray starter fluid down the intake tube while i was cranking motor with the throttle open so he could get the starter fluid in there and it backfired out the intake giving him a good scare. This leaves me to believe that i have the timing set up wrong. I followed the fsm and the set the #1 cyl to top dead center with the mark on the harmonic balancer set to zero, installed intake and ex. cams with the timing marks on the gears lined up and in position shown in the fsm, then i installed the chain gear but i didn't follow this proceedure below in the fsm...

6. INSTALL CAMSHAFT TIMING GEAR
    HINT:
    Check that the match marks on the camshaft timing gear and
    timing chain are aligned. My question is; are the tooths on the intake cam timing gear specifically built to connect to the chain in only this one spot that the chain is marked for?
    If so then i should only be off a couple degrees and it should still start correct?

Help

I'm going to test the crank and cam sensor resistances when i get home from work today. And test to see that i have compression tomorrow, i'm hoping my head guy properly sealed up my valves and the compression is good.

98 2rz, no dizzy, coil packs

2. Jul 20, 2011 at 10:59 PM
    87xjmike

87xjmike [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Folsom
    Vehicle:
    98 5lug 2rz
    downey mid travel 2wd set up
    So tonight I took the upper end back apart, took intake cam sprocket off and re-aligned it to chain, hit top deAd center with #1 cyl and aligned both cam timing marks. So timings all spot on and it still wont start. Fuel filter said yota on it so i went and picked one up Thinking its an original and hoping it was clogged and replaced it and still no go.
    Whats up with the fuel filter placement btw? That was a bitch and a half to replace.
    Fuel spewed out of both ends so I know I'm getting plenty of fuel.

Checked Crank senser and it's getting proper voltage.
    Got frustrated with all that so i changed the tranny fluid
    Re-read manual twice to make sure all sensors were properly re installed.
    Killed a battery trying to start it, got the optima out of the Cherokee
    Checking comp tomo

Any ideas?

Between this Bo diddly n muddy waters tonight I got some serious taco flavored blues

Products Discussed in

To Top