1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

front differential seal???

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by houndsmen, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Jul 25, 2011 at 7:33 AM
    houndsmen

houndsmen [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So I am fixing the leak on my 2001 taco on the front passenger side. The leak is where the axle goes into the front differential... I know there is a seal there but I have read in several forums that the seal has a metal ring along with the rubber. And I also know its only a dealer item... So I went to my local dealer on Saturday to pick one up and they handed me a rubber seal that does not seem to be the right one?!?!? Can anyone help me out as to what the seal looks like, perhaps a photo or a part number? Thank you....

2. Jul 29, 2011 at 4:46 AM
    mike sacc

mike sacc Well-Known Member

Member:
    r.i.
    Vehicle:
    2001 tacoma reg cab, 2009 tacoma dble cab shb
    did drivers side on my 01.part #9031147012 spent $13.its just a rubber seal with a metal ring and a spring inside.sometimes they pull apart when its pulled out of the axle. hope that helped.

3. Jul 29, 2011 at 4:59 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    It's an oil seal and contrary to popular belief, it is NOT a dealer specific item. You can get the same seal for around $4 at rockauto.

This is a the part you should have gotten. Don't be alarmed if it seems to be all rubber. It's not. The metal housing is coated in rubber (Nitrile). It's easier to press these type into the diff than it is to press the sole metal ones in.

[​IMG]

4. Jul 29, 2011 at 7:59 PM
    mike92y

mike92y Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OFF ROAD
    OME all around. SPC UCA. This and that.
    I did mine when I replaced my half shafts. I took a small prybar to pop the old one out. Did this from under the truck, removed skid plate. I seated the new seal by hand and then very carefully and slowly used 3-3/4 inch extension and a hammer to pound the new seal in. I did this very softly and went around the seal. Think about the pattern to tighten lug nuts. No leaks after I was done. You will have to remove half shafts. There is a good article for this on TTORA. Good luck do it yourself If I was there I coould have it done in 1 hour no bullshit.

5. Aug 14, 2011 at 1:14 PM
    houndsmen

Member:
    Ok so I put the new one on but i still have a leak. There is a copper ring outside of the seal that is not sitting right. Does anyone know what I'm doin wrong or why it could still be leaking any word is helpful

6. Aug 15, 2011 at 7:23 PM
    houndsmen

Member:
    Ok so I'm goin to try and put the new seal in tomorrow any info is helpful.

7. May 19, 2012 at 8:28 AM
    RacerP

RacerP Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4
    7th Injector kit, Trans Cooler, Donohoe c/o's, Billy's in the rear, FJ Cruiser Trail Team SE wheels.
    Called 6 different dealerships around the area today and not a single one has the seal in stock!!

Dealerships around here are absolutely useless for parts, they never have anything, down to a simple dash bulb.

Products Discussed in

To Top