1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

starter problems

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by offroadTRD, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Oct 19, 2008 at 9:21 PM
    offroadTRD

offroadTRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dinwiddie County, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma V6 SR5 4x4 TRD- Fabtech
    Fabtech 3" adjustable coil-over system, Alcan 8-leaf spring pack, Fabtech 3" body lift.
    intermittently, my starter will just click when I try to start it. I have to turn the key at least 10 times in order for the motor to turn over and start. sometimes when the motor is turning over, right when it is almost started, the starter quits turning. then I have to turn the key on again several more times for it to start. If I'm not being descriptive enough fellas just let me know. to add to the "starting" issues, three or four times my starter has "hanged up". In other words the engine cranked up and the starter kept on running. I tried to turn the key on and off repeatedly and it still wouldn't cut off. I then had to bang on the outside of the starter housing in order for it to stop running. Is this a bad starter or should I just buy a rebuild kit?

2. Oct 19, 2008 at 9:34 PM
    JJ Customs

JJ Customs Supreme Leader!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    NV
    Vehicle:
    Silverado Crew Cab Z71, 5.3 made from real Tornado's!
    A few additions to make me feel cool.
    Hey bud, I have a 97 Taco and the starters are pretty much bullet proof. Their are some contacts inside the starter (little copper contacts). If you take your starter off and replace them then that should get rid of your "clicking" if not then that's your solenoid. As for it not wanting to disengage well put a new Bendix on it when you have it off, that's the part that spools up. And for the contacts stop by your local John Deere dealer and ask for the ones off of a John Deere 870, they will fit but are a little larger and won't wear so much.

3. Oct 19, 2008 at 9:35 PM
    JJ Customs

JJ Customs Supreme Leader!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    NV
    Vehicle:
    Silverado Crew Cab Z71, 5.3 made from real Tornado's!
    A few additions to make me feel cool.
    Overall price of the JD contacts should be under $10 and be in stock.

4. Oct 19, 2008 at 9:55 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    If it's not the starter then it's most likely the battery. If you've had your current battery for 4 or more years then it's time to get a new one.

5. Oct 20, 2008 at 10:37 PM
    Mr.Fahrenheit

Mr.Fahrenheit Dennis = sinneD

Member:
    American Canyon, California
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco 3.4L 5spd TRD
    K&N CAI, HUSKY LINERS, LOW PRO TOOL BOX, GRAY WIRE MOD, OPTIMA RED TOP, GOODRIDGE STEEL BRAKE LINES, FAB TECH LIFT,

agreed. just recently my truck would only click when i turned it over, my automatic guess was the starter is no good. after several cycles the engine started.

did the click thing for about a month or so, then all of a sudden that battery took a crap. nothing, dead. had to push start because a jump start wouldn't even work. replaced the battery and no more click.......

6. Oct 21, 2008 at 3:29 PM
    03coma

03coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD, SR5
    TRD Pro Grille, Skid Plate, TRD Cat-Back Exhaust System, 2017 Tacoma TRD Rims, ARE Series II Lid,
    Hey Offroad TRD I had the same problem with my 03 Taco.. turned out to be a bad solenoid on the starter, Toyota replaced it under the warranty but took 2 days to get starter from CA none in my area, they paid for the rental car.

7. Oct 30, 2013 at 11:22 AM
    sir1123

sir1123 Tacomas FTMFW!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Charleston
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5 Prerunner, Black,3.4L
    3"Ebaich with 5100 Bilstiens, K&N cai, 5% 3M Tint, Magnaflow 18", Hella 500s with 35w 3000k hid retro, 33x9.5x15 BFG A/T
    Just found this thread and have been having the same exact problem. I would turn the key like 15 time with just a click then on the 16 turn it would start up. Sometimes it would also not turn off! I could turn the key off and the truck would still be trying to start. Anyways I replaced the starter after realizing my battery is fine. Brand new starter and it has stayed engaged twice after then engine has started and it is obviously making a horrible noise and have to shut it off.. Did I get a bad starter or could it be and ignition switch problem? HELP!

8. Oct 31, 2013 at 8:57 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Yeah, sounds like the 'starter switch', which is at the end of the ignition key cylinder. It must be sticking in the 'start' position. Not to hard to replace. New ones are on Rockauto.

You could also bypass that switch altogether and wire up and install a separate cranking push-button.

9. Nov 1, 2013 at 11:23 AM
    sir1123

sir1123 Tacomas FTMFW!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Charleston
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5 Prerunner, Black,3.4L
    3"Ebaich with 5100 Bilstiens, K&N cai, 5% 3M Tint, Magnaflow 18", Hella 500s with 35w 3000k hid retro, 33x9.5x15 BFG A/T
    Thanks man I will check that switch out.

10. Nov 2, 2013 at 7:00 PM
    Shadetree

Shadetree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BiLL
    Bozeman, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x2
    Locking Tailgate & Gas Cap and extra bed D-rings
    Most likely are open or sticking contacts in the starter solenoid or starter switch.

11. Nov 2, 2013 at 9:00 PM
    994x4wd

994x4wd Active Member

Member:
    Warner robins ga
    Vehicle:
    99 sr5 4x4 bone stock (for now)
    Just replaced the contacts on my 99... Here is new vs old

20130803_093303.jpg

12. Nov 3, 2013 at 8:06 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    That old contact still has plenty of wear on it, but just gummed up. I'd clean it up and carry that as a trail spare.

When I replaced mine, the wear 'shelf' was paper-thin, and couldn't carry the current.

13. Nov 3, 2013 at 8:31 AM
    186000mps

186000mps ..Slingin' up mud and we're scarying off bunnies..

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma V6 4WD
    Bilstein 5100's, Toytec front adjustable coilover kit, Exporear leafs, Fox resi rears, Slotted & Drilled front rotors, 33x12.50 BFG ATs on Outlaw II 15 x 10s, Bushwacker cutout flares, K&N cold air intake with aluminum sheathing water baffles, ARB bumper with XD9000 winch with wireless remote, IPF 900XS lights, Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, Rhino bed liner, UWS gullwing toolbox with tools and recovery gear. 48" Hi-Lift Jack secured under toolbox.
    I have been having similar issues on my 1st gen.
    After a night of some rather aggressive dirt road driving, the next morning, nothing but a series of loud clicks when I tried starting it. I gave up for a while, tried again and it finally started. It continued to run fine for 2 weeks. Then last week after a large rain storm, the same thing, except this time it never turned over. I was all ready to replace the contacts on the starter when I decided to start at the battery and work my way down.
    When I finally got to it and tried to start it, absolutely nothing, no clicks no lights, just dead.
    I removed the power connectors from the battery and hooked my charger directly to the battery terminals. To my surprise the battery was at 12+ volts and 80% charge.
    I scrubbed down the battery terminals and scrubbed the power connectors, securely connected them and it started on the first crank.
    The lack of electrical signal may be from the battery as well as the starter contacts. I believe the connectors probably came loose from the continuous hitting of washboard roads and finally corrosion brought on by moisture from the rains.
    If it happens again, I'll move on to the starter contacts.

14. Nov 6, 2013 at 9:07 PM
    chasebrooks14

chasebrooks14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Dahlonega, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2008 Acura TSX (RIP LaToya)
    Mickey Thompson Classic iii, Green LED interior floor lights, After market Kenwood touch screen radio, 20% window tint, Blacked out bumpers and grill, blacked out tail lights, Pioneer door speakers, bed lined toolbox, LED tailgate light bar w/ reverse lights, Bilstein 5100 all 4 corners and top setting up front, Trd Coils, New 1.5" lift leaf pack and shackles, White gages with blue needles. 32x11.5 Cooper STTs, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers
    x2
    I had the clicking problem and it turned out to be the copper contacts were completely melted. try that first!

Products Discussed in

To Top