1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Brake Shake

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Carito, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Aug 1, 2011 at 7:58 AM
    Carito

Carito [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Prerunner TRD Extra Cab
    Box, Side Rails, Deck Mod
    Someone got an idea. Changed the brakes on my 03 Tacoma front and rear. Front new pads and worked great. Then on the rear, the pads looked as good as the new ones I had so I left them and just installed new drums from NAPA. Sprayed everything down with cleaner including the new drums, and slid the new drums on.

Now when I go to brake the rear end shakes. Almost like it grabs then lets go. Kinda bumpy. Never had this issue before. Drove about 30 miles so far and no change when braking.

Any ideas? There shouldnt have been any adjusting needing done since I only changed the drums.

2. Aug 1, 2011 at 9:51 AM
    Space Wrangler

Space Wrangler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JCT
    Ga
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    04 Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab SAW 2.0's Alcan's Ion 171 wheels 15x8 (-27mm bs) 32" BFG AT's
    i made the same mistake. had my drums resurfaced because of a slight pulse in the rear. didn't replace the pads because they looked great. ..however, it became immediately apparent that i should have changed the pads as well because the slight shake turned into a rather violent shake. ....my assumption is that if i/you replace the pads with new, the shaking will go away.

3. Aug 1, 2011 at 10:04 AM
    puckstopper55

puckstopper55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    '11 Double Cab TRD Sport, Mag Grey
    tailgate anti-theft Map Light LED's Dome Light LED LP LED Halogen Bed Light Extra D-Rings in bed Anytime Fog Lights Tri-Fold tonnau cover Wet Ok's
    If you replace the drum (or get it cut), you should replace the pads too. The new pads and new drums break in together, and form little grooves. When you replace the drums, but not the pads they no longer match (ie the drums dont have the grooves to match the pads)

4. Aug 1, 2011 at 10:24 AM
    Carito

Member:
    Vehicle:
    thanks, well, I guess I'll run by and pick up a set of pads and try that. Yeah, the pulsing can be quite noticeable when slowing from interstate speeds.

5. Aug 1, 2011 at 1:52 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    you sure it's from the rear? Did you just replace the front pads, or the rotors, too?

I'd get all four corners resurfaced/replaced.

Also, don't buy NAPA brake parts, there's better stuff out there (EBC, brembo, etc...). Don't skimp on brakes, they're important.

Also, did you follow the brake in procedure? if you don't brake them in properly, you can damage them, or so I've heard.

My general policy is any time you're replacing the drums or rotors, just get all new matched pads, too.

6. Aug 1, 2011 at 3:11 PM
    Carito

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yeah pretty sure its from the rear. No shake in sterring etc and you can just tell. I didnt change the rotors. The front pads were only wore down 1/2 way and disks look great. They were replaced two years ago. I did a three inch lift and thought I'd do the brakes while in there.

I stopped and picked up some shoes today and will try that Wed when I get home. Honestly I never ad an issue with any NAPA parts. Autozone yes, NAPA no. So we'll see.

Products Discussed in

To Top