Notices

Jack replacement for Tacoma

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #1
ceallaghguy is on a distinguished road
ceallaghguy's Tacoma Gallery
Jack replacement for Tacoma

Hello,
I am new to the forum, so thanks in advance for any information. I have a 2000 Tacoma Pre-Runner, which recently had the jack and the accompanying tools stolen from the inside of the truck. I asked myself why would anybody steal a jack? That is, until I called the local dealer and was quoted 174.00 for the darn thing! I am looking to go to a "pull apart" type salvage yard, but my local one doesnt show any tacomas in their inventory list. So to my question:

Does someone have any cross reference information as to jacks from other Toyota vehilces that would be substantially similar (4 runners, land cruisers) and how far back in the line I could go (what year could I start looking at? it seems most tacomas have similar parts from the 95 to 04 era.

Again, thnks in advance for any help

Ceallagh
Old 08-03-2011, 10:54 AM   #2
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
I have my factory jack if you want to buy it.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
I am looking to find one locally for a quick trip I am taking, but if I have no luck I will definitely keep it in mind, thanks.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceallaghguy View Post
I am looking to find one locally for a quick trip I am taking, but if I have no luck I will definitely keep it in mind, thanks.
Yeah I'm sure there is some local guys around you that have one.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Try eBay, too. I didn't have one in my second gen and I spent 2 years trying to find a used one. I refused to spend the $$ at the stealership, and was stubborn about it. Ended up finding one on eBay for $80 shipped. All I needed was the damn 3 piece crank tool that sticks in the bumper and lowers the tire. The jack was useless to me, but it's all sold as a set.

They are tough to find. I called auto recyclers in my area for months and they never got one in. I even went to some pick a part yards and looked through old toyota trucks for one to no avail.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:09 AM   #7
Thanks, Seabass I am finding the same issues myself.

Ken, I was thinking the same thing: why not just get a run of the mill jack from a parts store for like 20 bucks, they seem the same, but I wondered if they would be different in any way from the OEM jack, or if it is just a way for the dealer to rip the customer off?
Old 08-03-2011, 11:39 AM   #8
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
The OEM jack is very different. It's a purely mechanical design with a worm gear setup inside. Toyota uses it because it's extremely cheap and requires no maintenance (no hydraulic fluid).

BTW, Toyota's markup on spare parts is around 300%. Dealer markup adds "only" another 40%, so Toyota is doing the majority of the ripoff. Trouble is, other OEMs are the same.

This online shop sells the pieces separately if all you need are the crank handles (2nd gen. parts shown):
http://www.villagetoyotaparts.com/pr...key_category=0
Old 08-03-2011, 11:54 AM   #9
Thanks for the link! I figured the OEM jack had to be different, hopefully my local salvage yard will have something i need, and if I can just find the jack, the other tools wont be quite a drain on the pocketbook.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:06 PM   #10
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Spend the dough on a Harbor Freight aluminium jack. Well worth your money, I've had mine for over a year, and it works great...alot easier to use a floor jack.

If you want something that will fit in your cubby, under rear jump seat....get a small $20-25 jack from O-Reilly/Advanced Auto/ Vato Zone/ Napa...
It's a tight fit but it will fit.

Products Discussed in this Thread