Notices

My rear frame tail section repair/re-inforcement

Old 08-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
CdnSldr is on a distinguished road
Army: Vehicle Tech. CPL, Maint. Coy, 18 Service Battalion
Name: Josh
CdnSldr's Tacoma Gallery
My rear frame tail section repair/re-inforcement

Not soon after I bought my truck (year ago) I noticed that end of the frame where the Class 3 hitch mounts was split. I dont know if this was caused by the PO overloading the hitch or something. Anyways, Ive done my best not to tow anything until I had a chance to fix it. Most I was willing to put on there was my brothers 12' boat.

I recently got access to a small MIG welder soo I thought this would be the perfect time.

So as far as my welding "skills" go...I am self taught and have only welded a handful of scrap pieces of metal together to get a hang of the amperage and wire speed settings.

All I needed for materials was some 1/4" angle iron. About 30cm in length total.

Here is what the splits look like. This was after bending them back into place and throwing a tack on. It was the same on both sides and opened up a lot when the hitch was mounted.

Crack welded

Here is the piece of angle iron prepped and in place on the right frame rail.

Welded

Painted

Left side welded and painted

Bumper and hitch mounted

Well ive got a little more piece of mind now about towing! I realize my welds are very very far from pretty or perfect, but i think they will work lol

Cheers TW!
Old 08-07-2011, 10:29 PM   #2
TacoBlitz is on a distinguished road
Name: Jake
TacoBlitz's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great, I would for sure feel confident towing with that repair. Probably better than I would have done.