1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ford Ranger vs. Toyota Tacoma

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by TACOMABOSS, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Sep 7, 2011 at 10:03 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Acyually I've had 2 Rangers 1st one was an '86 w/2.9 FI V6, strong torquey motor

The other was a '97 w/ 4cyl. gutless as hell but almost indestructable, I tried to kill both of them & I will say they held up pretty damned well..

2. Sep 7, 2011 at 10:20 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    My 1990 Ranger was unkillable , had it overloaded with lumber for 14 years

3. Sep 8, 2011 at 11:54 AM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    Judging by the posts in this thread, and any other thread: A LOT of people care what other anonymous people over the internet say.

If *they* didn't care, why would they click on the thread, let alone hit "reply"??

That said. Fords are crap. I like that my Taco was made less than 100 miles from where I live.

But at least Ford didn't need a multi billion dollar bailout from the US government, unlike the "other two" domestics...

4. Sep 8, 2011 at 1:51 PM
    x2468

x2468 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 4wd V6 Xcab Sr5
    If anything, i know the tacos look better.

5. Sep 8, 2011 at 4:59 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 XMF - Extreme Mexican Food fo Life!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    4Runnerzzz
    Originally not Expo AF! Kinda Expo AF now...lame.
    Actually....
    http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/12/blue-ops-the-clandestine-bailout-of-ford/

Ford must have been talking to Apple and Steve Jobs, cause the past year or so they have been making some pretty impressive marketing moves.

They borrowed a few billion from the Fed, who normally lends money strictly to banks, and they made an exception for Ford. Ford, staying out of the TARP funds, played this off quietly. Brilliant, to say the least.

That said, EcoBoost. There's really nothing Eco about it. It gets 22MPG hwy with a 3.15 rear end, but the real MPG gains come from the 6 speed transmission. The turbos won't improve MPG, they are tuned to provide low end torque for awesome FT LBs numbers.

That said, I think the EcoBoost engine is badass.

I think Fords marketing department are pretty badass too.

6. Sep 8, 2011 at 5:42 PM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    We have owned 3 Fords, Fiesta (the original :cool: dam car would not DIE) but traded for my 1st TOYOTA....They were willing to finance a 19 year old on a brand new Corolla SR5....

My Ranger was purchased because TOYOTA "dropped" the ball in Florida with "That buy what we have ,over loaded-priced" crap; it cost them a sale.... I owned it for 5 years and got top $$$ when I sold it....NEVER spent a dime on it except for services and it did EVERYTHING it was asked

Bronco 2 ( autos suck but 200k later) traded for the '99 Tacoma...again TMC pulled off a sweet deal ......

YES, I ENJOY my Yotas but I earn my $$$$ so come deal time....FMC and TMC better have sharp pencils...;)......Toys -12 Fords -3

7. Sep 8, 2011 at 5:46 PM
    JanBoothius

JanBoothius Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jan (Pronounced Yon)
    Upstate New York
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR DCSB 6 speed
    Heavy stuff big tires drives like hell
    My father owns a 1996 Mazda B4000 (basically a Ford Ranger with different styling and different engine, IIRC), and he has had to replace parts of the front 4wd components 4 times so far, and it needs a 5th....

Thing is a hunk of shit, feels like a death trap.

I've ridden in Toyota trucks from the 1980's that felt more solid.

Point: get a Toyota

8. Sep 8, 2011 at 7:43 PM
    capetaco12

capetaco12 .<>./

Member:
    Cleveland Ledge, MA
    Vehicle:
    Sold: 33's,armor,crawler,dents, ect. 2020 Gladiator
    OME lift CBI sliders, front bumper homemade rear bumper 33x12.50 m/t Gears Aussie locker inchworm crawlbox Homemade flat belly
    I wheel with a guy with a ranger... He beats the absolut @#$! out of it. Hes on his second motor. 4th entire front end not including shafts (countless shafts) And multiple rear shafts. All i can say is DAMN how cheap and easy (any) parts for one of those damn things is!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top