1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who here has ran with a welded or spooled 7.5" rear?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 87xjmike, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Aug 11, 2011 at 10:54 AM
    87xjmike

87xjmike [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Folsom
    Vehicle:
    98 5lug 2rz
    downey mid travel 2wd set up
    In an effort to keep my project on a low budget and keep wheeling i'm going to weld up the spider gears in my rear 7.5". Its a 5lug 2wd on 31's, i'm going to keep it on 31's to keep the stress levels low on the ball joints and rear axle shafts. Plus i don't want to have to re-gear.

So my question is, how did the rear axle shafts fair to a welded 3rd? Did it cause any pre-mature ball joint failure with the added stress that a fully locked rear puts on steering?

I ran a welded toyota 8" in the rear of my bronco II with 35's on stock shafts and it crawled fine but this 7.5 is a whole different animal.

2. Aug 11, 2011 at 11:02 AM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    quite a bit of my friends have welded rears and they havent had any problems besides going through tires faster

3. Aug 11, 2011 at 2:53 PM
    87xjmike

87xjmike [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Folsom
    Vehicle:
    98 5lug 2rz
    downey mid travel 2wd set up
    welded the 7.5"? I think i only have 27spline shafts(from what i've read, i haven't pulled shafts yet) so that worries me...

4. Aug 13, 2011 at 2:56 PM
    Wreckless_71

Wreckless_71 WRECKLESS for Life...

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Pullman, WA.
    Vehicle:
    98 ext cab Tacoma
    3" Lift via OME 881's, Bilstein 5100's, Dakar OME 3" leaf packs, MBRP custom exhaust, HID headlights, CB, Canopy, aluminum wheels, upgraded sound system, full set of studded snow tires and wheels, auxilary lighting, more to come.
    I've seen yota's do crazy shit on stock running gear. I wouldn't worry at all. My buddy was running a welded 3rd with 5.29's and 40's. He grenaded the transfer case doing burnouts in the burger king parking lot. Axles, and driveline didn't even shudder. So to answer your question, you should be fine on 31's. But it's like anything, if you run it hard it'll break. If I was you I wouldn't even sweat.

Products Discussed in

To Top