I am in the process of turning my 99 4WD Xtracab into a long term travel vehicle that I will be living out of. The reason? I want to explore North America and paddle my whitewater canoe all over, and need a vehicle that will get me to some crazy places with all the gear I'd need to live long term out of the truck.
Here's a pic after I bought a Leer 122 for 100 bucks. At that price, I didn't mind the slight color difference. Besides, this isn't going to be a show truck.
Leafs are a bit saggy. Maybe when I have some spare cash I'll grab some.
Anyways, I have a few mods planned, but the first I was able to work on was a sleeping platform. I decided to model it after Bajataco's. I'm going to have wet paddling gear and I needed a way to separate it from my sleeping area. So I put a 54" x 72" platform on top of a framework that went in between the wheels. Framework and plywood underneath was 39" inches wide.
Screwing in the framework to the bottom plywood
Biscuit joining 3 inch pieces of wood to either side to make the top platform 54 inches wide
Cut outs for doors that will provide access to the compartments behind the wheels
Today I'm going to put all the doors and hinges on, and then carpet the top. One question I still have is should I take the bed liner out? Will I regret doing this in a month or a year?
Anyways, thanks for looking, I'll have pics as I finish this up today.
I finished for the platform for all intents and purposes. When the carpet adhesive dries, I'll drop it in.
The compartment doors with piano hinges.
The compartments are just large enough to hold the old Pelican case I have, which will nice to keep it out of sight.
The front door. I used barn hinges to allow it to rotate all the way back.
The hasp and padlock for a bit of security
Laying out the carpet
I can't upholster worth a damn, but I was able to trim the carpet and make it look decent.
The front. I carpeted over the hinges, leaving just the hasps showing.
Close up. I haven't glued the carpet to the door, I've just trimmed and stapled it while I trim the edges to make a good fit. I haven't decided whether I should cut the carpet around the barrel of the hinge.
So that's where it sits today. I still have to put it in, and I'm almost certain I'm taking the bed liner out, unless someone wants to talk me out of it. I'll have some more pictures on Wednesday when I'm able to put it in.
I dropped it in this afternoon. It's heavier than hell, probably close to 150 pounds. In the end, considering damn near everything I own will be in the back of the truck, I like the added security.
The bed after I took the liner and cleaned it out with a little TSP. It was dirty beyond belief. I found a bunch of pencils and previous owner's shirt.
Here was the completed platform with the door carpet cut and glued. I ended up cutting the carpet to allow the barrels of the hinges to poke through.
Fits like a glove
With the cap back on and tailgate up, and my canoe racks on top. I put a layer of neoprene tape to help seal the cap, and I'll be gasketing and caulking as I go.
With the door up.
I'm taking it out to the Lower Yough this weekend for a test sleep. Also, I'll be putting the liner up for sale soon