Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Should I Bid???

Old 08-16-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Should I Bid???

Found these on Ebay, returned. They normally are over $55 and I planned on getting some eventually, but I'm worried they're going to be damaged aesthetically... So the question is, should I bid at the last second?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-00...ht_4140wt_1161
Old 08-16-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Not a fan. Also for $18 they sound like they will fall apart as soon as you put a screw through them.

Edit: It literally looks like someone shit in the housing then closed them off and put them up for sale. Lol.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Not a fan. Also for $18 they sound like they will fall apart as soon as you put a screw through them.

Edit: It literally looks like someone shit in the housing then closed them off and put them up for sale. Lol.
x2.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Those look...very...."stupid"

Get some 01-04's and modify them...it isn't too hard from what i've heard.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #5
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Yeah, that's why I'm worried. I like them but I don't know how nice they would look on my truck, scared they'd be to ricey. It's either buy some of these, or tint my stock ones and order led bulbs for them.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #6
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
Yeah, that's why I'm worried. I like them but I don't know how nice they would look on my truck, scared they'd be to ricey. It's either buy some of these, or tint my stock ones and order led bulbs for them.
My vote is stock lights, no tint, LED bulbs. But, I'm in an exclusionary club of elite thinkers who find that tinting lights does nothing but make your lights dimmer, your liability higher, and look pointlessly conforming. I can sponsor your membership if you'd like.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyScottETC View Post
My vote is stock lights, no tint, LED bulbs. But, I'm in an exclusionary club of elite thinkers who find that tinting lights does nothing but make your lights dimmer, your liability higher, and look pointlessly conforming. I can sponsor your membership if you'd like.
I agree. Just make sure you get good LEDs that actually light the housing up.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #8

Well no matter which way I go, I will be getting black tail lights. Whether through tint or aftermarket lights. I think i'll just stick with the stock tails, all of you just kind of proved me right for being worried about buying these... So now I guess this thread should change to the question of led bulbs for the tail lights, what would you all recommend, links?
Old 08-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #9
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well no matter which way I go, I will be getting black tail lights. Whether through tint or aftermarket lights. I think i'll just stick with the stock tails, all of you just kind of proved me right for being worried about buying these... So now I guess this thread should change to the question of led bulbs for the tail lights, what would you all recommend, links?
Lightly tint and IIRC, I think 4x4 told me once that LEDs wouldn't make a HUGE difference. Just don't go overboard on tint and you'll be good. Use VHT...
Old 08-16-2011, 04:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
Lightly tint and IIRC, I think 4x4 told me once that LEDs wouldn't make a HUGE difference. Just don't go overboard on tint and you'll be good. Use VHT...
Oh, okay thanks. I planned on tinting my tailights about a year ago but my dad told me I couldn't, he told me he wants my lights to stay as bright as possible. He also said no lift, no big tires, no sound system, no wiring in general, and no painting anything either.... Well you see how all of that has gone haha and he likes my truck more every time I do something. So tinting the lights will be another one of those deals, I hope! But even if they aren't bright I'll buy one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/49-Re...ht_6409wt_1161 so he can't complain lol. And I planned on using the VHT for sure.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:44 PM   #11
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oh, okay thanks. I planned on tinting my tailights about a year ago but my dad told me I couldn't, he told me he wants my lights to stay as bright as possible. He also said no lift, no big tires, no sound system, no wiring in general, and no painting anything either.... Well you see how all of that has gone haha and he likes my truck more every time I do something. So tinting the lights will be another one of those deals, I hope! But even if they aren't bright I'll buy one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/49-Re...ht_6409wt_1161 so he can't complain lol. And I planned on using the VHT for sure.
Just an FYI those bars are ehhhhh...they're known for having various bulbs burn out quick...but it's your call on it obviously.. And yeah, the first time I tinted mine with VHT, it was way too dark. Used a polishing compound and then after a paint thinner. For whatever reason the 95.5-00 lens tint easily...I re-did mine after they pretty much were cleared on their own and I think I did maybe one-one and a half light coats and a bunch of clear and that was enough for me...I'm over the look more or less now, but still.

And yes I remember once upon a time a long time ago being told I couldn't modify my vehicle..made my payments, paid my gas, insurance, and other bills, and was able to spend bits of it on my truck while I still continued to save. Got no complaints once that was realized and now I've had it paid off for quite a while and it's ALL mine
Old 08-16-2011, 04:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Just an FYI those bars are ehhhhh...they're known for having various bulbs burn out quick...but it's your call on it obviously.. And yeah, the first time I tinted mine with VHT, it was way too dark. Used a polishing compound and then after a paint thinner. For whatever reason the 95.5-00 lens tint easily...I re-did mine after they pretty much were cleared on their own and I think I did maybe one-one and a half light coats and a bunch of clear and that was enough for me...I'm over the look more or less now, but still.

And yes I remember once upon a time a long time ago being told I couldn't modify my vehicle..made my payments, paid my gas, insurance, and other bills, and was able to spend bits of it on my truck while I still continued to save. Got no complaints once that was realized and now I've had it paid off for quite a while and it's ALL mine
Yeah, some people have those light bars and they last forever but for some they don't... The only thing I want that I don't think I'm going to get out of tinting it is how the 2nd gens look really nice because they're led and you can see through unlike ours which is basically just darkening the yellow, red, and white. That another major thing I'm worried is making it too dark, I'll probably end up using a whole can because I'll be standing 2 feet away to keep it from spraying on too much! I'm very impatient... And yeah as my dad's realizing I'm willing to pay for anything I mess up, but with the money I have after that I will spend on my truck. Because honestly I'm keeping this thing until it won't go no more, and after that I'll start rebuilding it haha
Old 08-16-2011, 05:01 PM   #13
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, some people have those light bars and they last forever but for some they don't... The only thing I want that I don't think I'm going to get out of tinting it is how the 2nd gens look really nice because they're led and you can see through unlike ours which is basically just darkening the yellow, red, and white. That another major thing I'm worried is making it too dark, I'll probably end up using a whole can because I'll be standing 2 feet away to keep it from spraying on too much! I'm very impatient... And yeah as my dad's realizing I'm willing to pay for anything I mess up, but with the money I have after that I will spend on my truck. Because honestly I'm keeping this thing until it won't go no more, and after that I'll start rebuilding it haha
I doubt you'll need a whole can...a whole can managed to do 3 sets of tails, 1 set of turn signals, and 1 set of corner lamps for me and TW member RPain.

And we didn't exactly use it sparingly...if you go too dark, sand it off and try again Also, know your local laws about it before attempting.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:05 PM   #14

Quote:
I doubt you'll need a whole can...a whole can managed to do 3 sets of tails, 1 set of turn signals, and 1 set of corner lamps for me and TW member RPain.

And we didn't exactly use it sparingly...if you go too dark, sand it off and try again Also, know your local laws about it before attempting.
Haha I know, I was just being sarcastic about needing a whole can. But yeah, I'm just doing my tails, brake light, turn signals, and running lights. I hope I get it right the first time, like I said I'm impatient lol As for laws I'm not worried, those kind aren't enforced very much around here. A friends mustang has blacked out lights and I was behind him during the day and had to strain my eyes to notice he was pushing his brakes
Old 08-16-2011, 05:22 PM   #15
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Haha I know, I was just being sarcastic about needing a whole can. But yeah, I'm just doing my tails, brake light, turn signals, and running lights. I hope I get it right the first time, like I said I'm impatient lol As for laws I'm not worried, those kind aren't enforced very much around here. A friends mustang has blacked out lights and I was behind him during the day and had to strain my eyes to notice he was pushing his brakes
Even still, in the event of an accident, like someone rear-ends you, they can blame it one your tinted tails and you actually can be put at fault for it. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Even still, in the event of an accident, like someone rear-ends you, they can blame it one your tinted tails and you actually can be put at fault for it. Just my 2 cents.
Yeah, you're 100% right about that!