1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3 alternators 1 new battery and no luck! 1997 taco

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Banaman, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Aug 16, 2011 at 9:25 PM
    Banaman

Banaman [OP] Member

Member:
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    1997 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L
    I have read through a number of threads but haven't seen any problems quite like mine.

The background below is the more concise version of a long story:

1997 Tacoma 2.7L.

I replaced my battery about 2 weeks ago when it wouldn't hold a charge. Later, the battery light came on and eventually the truck died. I had the system checked at autozone (after charging the battery) and the alternator was only putting out about 1Amp and the voltage was decreasing as the truck ran at around 11-12V. I put on a new alternator and I had the same problem, so I put on a second alternator. Again, same problem. Fuses are all good. Connections all look good.

According to the local auto repair shop the problem is that I did not buy a brand new alternator from them :mad: and that would solve the problem.

After three alternators something else must be wrong. Plus the alternator test off of the truck demonstrates that it works fine.

Has anyone ever seen something like this before from a first gen tacoma?

Any help would be appreciated. Come my way and I'll buy you anything you want to drink.

2. Aug 16, 2011 at 9:34 PM
    Tacoma mud

Tacoma mud Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    97' xtra cab sr5 4x4
    soon to come
    I have a 97 and had to get a new starter.... I thought it was the batter but nope ;)

3. Aug 16, 2011 at 9:37 PM
    UndefinedTaco

UndefinedTaco I'll eat all your food.

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    It's an 89 Toyota Pickup. I got some stuff done to it.. FJ axles going under it soon.
    Unless the starter is engaging(or energized) while your flywheel is already spinning..I don't see what a starter has to do with a voltage drop across your charging circuit. ^

If that was the case, sounds like something went haywire...

It could be alot of things,to be honest..I couldn't even think of what else it could be.

Do you have a sound system? What about anything auxiliary powered through other circuits?

4. Aug 16, 2011 at 9:41 PM
    Us3r

Us3r Reading...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Socali
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma Std. 2RZ-FE 2WD
    Axle wrap mod (Shackled), 140 Amp Alternator & Wires, HID Headlights, Brush Guard Grille, Hella 550 Driving Lights. |Saving:Total Chaos.|
    I had something similar. The first time battery light was on, the alternator failed. I pulled the negative off the battery while idle and everything shutdown. Replaced alternator with kragen part# 13885. Second day, alternator failed again. This time I pulled the negative and car kept running. However, it was overcharging the whole system. Blew my dome light, a couple fuses, battery fluid spewing and spun my electric fan super fast.

I ended up returning that alternator and went with another one rated at 140amps shipped to me from Ace Alternators and Starters off ebay. So far everything is 100%.

Have you tried taking off the negative terminal while truck is running to see if you can isolate the possible problem?

Maybe a short somewhere? Bad ground? has to be some type of break in the circuit if alternators testing out fine. (be weary of alternator tests as your alternator can function differently at different rpms and I don't think the bench test system spins the pulley that fast.)

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Aug 16, 2011 at 9:50 PM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    voltage regulator?

6. Aug 16, 2011 at 10:14 PM
    Banaman

Banaman [OP] Member

Member:
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    1997 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L
    fireturk41: The voltage regulator is apparently in the alternator itself.

UndefinedTaco: I do have an amp that is wired to the battery. However it has been fine for over a year now. I also added a ground from the battery to frame to ensure proper groundage.

Us3r: I haven't done the battery cable removal check. What would that tell me exactly?

A mechanic I spoke with mentioned that older model Nissan trucks will do the same thing if the battery-indicator lightbulb on the dash goes out. I haven't checked this either. The truck died in a parking lot across town tonight as I was on my way to a different automotive shop.

7. Aug 16, 2011 at 10:24 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    On a system that is working correctly, where the alt is putting out 14 VDC, when you pull the negative off the bat, the engine will continue to run.

For troubleshooting, this separates the bat from the alt.

8. Aug 16, 2011 at 10:29 PM
    SCSPerformance

SCSPerformance Stealth Custom Series™ Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Vin
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Camburg LT kit DMZ SUA kit SCS wheels Destroyer Gray
    it sounds like the alternator is not charging the system while the car is running. do you happen to have under-drive pulleys? try disconnecting all the wiring from the battery that's related to the amp and test what voltage its showing while running. did you do any new mods before all this happened? maybe check for cracked or loose wires going to and coming from the alternator.

9. Aug 16, 2011 at 10:44 PM
    Banaman

Banaman [OP] Member

Member:
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    1997 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L
    I don't think it has an under-drive pulley. Perhaps it does...the belt spins on the alternator, a crankshaft pulley and another pulley that doesn't seem to connect to anything else. Nope not mods and I haven't been listening to the stereo for weeks before this started.

An associate mentioned that on one of the other pulleys there could be a "shiv" or clutch as he called it that could have gotten worn out and the belt isn't spinning fast enough to generate enough voltage or amperage.

10. Aug 16, 2011 at 10:57 PM
    SCSPerformance

Member:
    First Name:
    Vin
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    i'm thinking the amp is the culprit. even though you're not using your system, disconnect the power wires at the battery that's coming from the amp and test what voltage the battery is putting out when the truck is running. do this and report back.

11. Aug 17, 2011 at 6:46 PM
    Banaman

Banaman [OP] Member

Member:
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    1997 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L
    I disconnected the amp and I am getting about 12.1 volts (with a fully charged battery). I also disconnected the negatve cable and the truck immediately died. I noticed the battery indicator light doesnt come on when you turn the key to on, so I checked the light bulb and 7.5 amp fuse under the hood. Everything is fine. Is it possible to test the pigtail that connects to the alternator for proper voltage?

12. Aug 17, 2011 at 7:05 PM
    Us3r

Us3r Reading...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Socali
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma Std. 2RZ-FE 2WD
    Axle wrap mod (Shackled), 140 Amp Alternator & Wires, HID Headlights, Brush Guard Grille, Hella 550 Driving Lights. |Saving:Total Chaos.|
    if you removed the negative cable from battery and your truck died. Than your alternator is faulty.

13. Aug 17, 2011 at 7:08 PM
    SCSPerformance

Member:
    First Name:
    Vin
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    you've narrowed it down to your alternator not charging for some reason. i'm assuming you're testing the battery voltage at idle. have someone rev it up to 2,200-2,500rpm while you check to see what the battery is putting out. it should read close to 14v.

14. Aug 17, 2011 at 7:55 PM
    Banaman

Banaman [OP] Member

Member:
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    1997 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L
    I did rev it to around 3k but the voltage did not go up. It didn't change at all. I am pretty certain that the alternator is okay (since this is the third one I've tried with the same result) but for some reason in the truck it is not working correctly within the electrical system. That's why I'm wondering if some controlling element is failing. Like I said the battery light doesn't come on which should point to a problem. I disconnected the pigtail coming in but it didn't do anything to the voltage or engine. Should it have? I wonder if there is a way to test the signal coming from the ECM.

15. Aug 17, 2011 at 8:02 PM
    03DBLCABTACO

03DBLCABTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Tomball TX
    Vehicle:
    Cavalry Blue 2019 TRD OFF-ROAD 4X4
    I don't have Toyota specific experience but it is possible that there is a bad fusible link where the wires are hooked up at the back of the alternator. Had one bad On a vette and caused all kinds of problems with charging system. Good luck.

16. Aug 17, 2011 at 8:57 PM
    Mike330R

Mike330R Well-Known Member

Member:
    Far West Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    '16 DC Offroad w/ stuff
    I would check the wires coming from the alt. One may be broken, partially melted, or the fuseable link is bad. Ohm that wire out. If it reads close to 0 ohms it's OK. When doing this test wiggle and twist the wire.

17. Aug 17, 2011 at 9:10 PM
    Banaman

Banaman [OP] Member

Member:
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    1997 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L
    Could you tell me, does the main wire that comes off the alternator connect to the battery, starter, or both? Is the fusible link closer to the alternator or battery? Also, do the 3 wires connected to the back of the alternator come straight from the ECU?

18. Aug 17, 2011 at 9:13 PM
    G scott04

G scott04 ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
    Check the fuses and everything connected to your alternator!

19. Aug 17, 2011 at 9:43 PM
    SCSPerformance

Member:
    First Name:
    Vin
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    this and double check all your grounds starting with the alt., engine,....

20. Aug 26, 2011 at 8:21 PM
    Banaman

Banaman [OP] Member

Member:
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    1997 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L
    I have finally fixed the truck!

Everyone was correct in that something was wrong with one of the wires of the alternator. I attempted to ohm out the wires coming off the alternator, but I was having trouble getting my multimeter prong to touch the inside of the connector. Plus, a mechanic told me it was bad to pierce the jacket of the wires coming off because then water would have an access point.

So I sent it over to my Toyota dealer and they figured it out within an hour: Two of the three wires had become disconnected at the plug and were shorting. You could see that the jacket was burned from electricity arching the gap.

Products Discussed in

To Top