Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

LED light strip install question

Old 08-17-2011, 08:29 AM   #1
fshams is on a distinguished road

fshams's Tacoma Gallery
Smile LED light strip install question

I am planning to install the LED light strip on my 03 Tacoma ... Question is, where can I get a power feed so that the LED lights only come on automatically when I turn on the ignition? I like to prevent draining the battery if they are accidentally left on...

Anyone know where I can get the + feed ?
Old 08-18-2011, 05:41 AM   #2

fshams's Tacoma Gallery
Do you mean the Accessory fuse located inside the cab? Isn't there another fuse box under the hood that I can tap in to that would act the same way?
Old 08-18-2011, 11:11 PM   #4
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
How do those taps work? Is there a fuse tap that you buy or do you just stick the wire in before the fuse gets put in?
Old 08-18-2011, 11:14 PM   #5
Superior Member
707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
707tothe907's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTaco View Post
How do those taps work? Is there a fuse tap that you buy or do you just stick the wire in before the fuse gets put in?
Subd for this answer

Edit: that was easy.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:36 PM   #7
Honey badger hits whatever tree he wants to hit!!
Honey badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 Zulu
Name: Bon
Honey badger's Tacoma Gallery
How hard was it to wire up the hella's?
Old 08-18-2011, 11:44 PM   #8
Honey badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Well not sure what brand I will go with. Once I get a bumper I will have two fogs and two driving lights( hella's or Lightforce possibly some cheap HIDs). Then I will have four up top on a roll bar.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
I say the Hellas. they are cheap bit reliable. plus there are several how to threads on how to convert as well as YouTube videos when you want to hid them. you should mount them behind the grill
Hellas are my first choice. How much would it cost to convert them? I have seen the many how to threads I just suck at electrical stuff. Hmmm behind the grill is a good choice but if I did not plan on getting a bad ass bumper(Elite) then that is where they would go.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:56 PM   #10

Quote:
it was I think 60 for the lots on amazon and its another 60 ish for the retrofit kitfrom ddm. you could always have the elite and lights behind the grill. also I have no experience with electrical stuff.but just try and learn along the way. when in doubt look on YouTube. it is like snowboarding. it is a birch to start out but once you get it down it is pretty easy stuff. good luck man!
Dang that is not bad to convert. The lightforce was like an extra $160 for the kit that they made. Yea I will get after it one day. Lol youtube you can learn so much from that.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:00 AM   #11
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Yea but you can just buy HID kits for the Lightforce ones too. Dont Have to buy them already HIDed.

I love my Hellas BTW. But i think ill get 2 Lightforce 240s for the front of my truck and the 4 hellas will go on the roof. Ill have dual batteries so wiring for me...gonna be totally differant. When i had my first two hellas. i just ran a power wire strait to the battery and the ground through the switch. Worked for me. Needed bigger wire tho and bigger battery(my stereo keeps killing it so a new alternator too) for all 4...
Old 08-19-2011, 12:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Yea but you can just buy HID kits for the Lightforce ones too. Dont Have to buy them already HIDed.

I love my Hellas BTW. But i think ill get 2 Lightforce 240s for the front of my truck and the 4 hellas will go on the roof. Ill have dual batteries so wiring for me...gonna be totally differant. When i had my first two hellas. i just ran a power wire strait to the battery and the ground through the switch. Worked for me. Needed bigger wire tho and bigger battery(my stereo keeps killing it so a new alternator too) for all 4...
Yea the HID kit for the Lightforce was some $$ lots of $$
So for the ground wire where did you have it grounded?
I have a feeling that I will soon need a dual bat setup
Old 08-19-2011, 12:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fiszs...eature=related
DAAYYYMMMNN lol i want this..lol

yea some ppl do slack on the wiring for sure..
WOW that is crazy mmmm but I like
Old 09-08-2011, 07:46 AM   #16
All your soul are belong to us
Enigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Enigmaaron's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yes you are correct the fuse you want to tap into is inside the cab. here is what mine lookes like. the red wire is tapped into the acc fuse and is the cb. it is like the radio and turns on only when the truck does. the green wire runs my hella 500,s and i can run them anytime. it runs off the horn fuse

also agreed on the switch. the are like $5 at oreillys and will allow you to control turning them on and off.
Kinda reviving an old thread here but I came across this and had a question on wiring something this way. When tapping into the fuse how do you know which side is before the fuse and which is after the fuse in the circuit? Is there a way to determine that or a rule of thumb?
Old 09-10-2011, 03:37 PM   #17

fshams's Tacoma Gallery
LED light strip Installed

Finally installed the LED strips under headlights. They are wired to only turn on when the engine is on.

Have gotten a lot of compliments thus far... What do you all think?
Attached Thumbnails
LED light strip install question-dsc_1991.jpg   LED light strip install question-dsc_1992.jpg   LED light strip install question-dsc_1993.jpg   LED light strip install question-dsc_1994.jpg  
Old 06-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #18
over9000 is on a distinguished road

over9000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshams View Post
Finally installed the LED strips under headlights. They are wired to only turn on when the engine is on.

have you had any problems with one or two going out
Old 06-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #19

fshams's Tacoma Gallery
LED Lights

No... None of them has gone out.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #20
koco is on a distinguished road

koco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshams View Post

Is that 2 strips of 15 leds on each side?