1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

remanfactured heads and gasket's, same problem

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tacoman1999, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Aug 21, 2011 at 8:55 AM
    tacoman1999

tacoman1999 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    hanna,ok
    Vehicle:
    95 tacoma 4x4
    a few months ago i had steam coming out tailpipe, so I took heads off one was cracked so ordered two out of a place in florida off ebay. this is for a 3.4L, ordered a gasket set off ebay too. replaced everything and still have the same problem. I never had it hot to my knowledge, and it has over 300k and always ran great. the water pump, timing belt changed ect... there is no water in oil that's fine. what should I do next?

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Aug 21, 2011 at 8:58 AM
    fixer5000

fixer5000 the logical one

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2018 4runner limited in nautical blue
    is it possible the block itself is cracked? i think id look there

3. Aug 21, 2011 at 8:59 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Wouldn't he still have water in the oil?

4. Aug 21, 2011 at 9:09 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Did you check the block surface to see if it's flat? I know the old 3.0s would warp the block sometimes and the new gaskets wouldn't seal.

Is there a coolant passage running through the intake on these?

Where did you get the heads? I worked at Kragen auto parts for awhile and I use to discourage people from buying heads from us because I got tired of dealing with all the warranty issues.

Edit: I see now you got them off ebay. Dealing with a local machine shop is usually the best way, but that doesn't mean the heads you bought arn't good.

5. Aug 21, 2011 at 9:45 AM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    did you not flush out the oil and cooling system??

Ebay heads..hmmm...

6. Aug 21, 2011 at 9:48 AM
    tacoman1999

tacoman1999 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    hanna,ok
    Vehicle:
    95 tacoma 4x4
    I didnt check block surface at a shop just used a flat surface off a square, i belive the place where i got the heads ,odessa cylinderheads, clearwater fl, there were very helpful and stuff but i know that doesnt mean the head is not bad,1 year warranty, there price was half the cost at a local shop wanted 800 a piece,and i belive there is a coolant passage through the intake thanks

7. Aug 21, 2011 at 7:34 PM
    hayabusa3303

hayabusa3303 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    florence sc
    Vehicle:
    95.5 taco 4x4
    ARB bumper, warn 9.5 winch. carbon fiber hood. Leer top with thule racks and MOAB from thule. Electric fans, blue sea fuse block, Sony dvd Head unit, Xm tuner and HD tuner. New carpet and new racing seats. ( other half doesnt like them i think). Nwor springs and adjustable coil overs. Sky jacker rear shocks. Slot and drilled rotors. Engine Titanium ceramic coated headers, no cat, jba cat back. URD Rear Sensor Simulator. Leds all around and inside cab and HID H4 hi/lo beams.
    sounds like the gaskets you are using are the problem ones on the 3.4..

There has been 3 updates to the head gaskets i am aware of.

The gaskets you using are they 2 metal plates or are they three metal plates?

Felpro is the only head gaskets that are updated on the problems with the engine.

8. Aug 22, 2011 at 6:00 PM
    tacoman1999

tacoman1999 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    hanna,ok
    Vehicle:
    95 tacoma 4x4
    i believe they were only one metal plate i will have to check.

9. Aug 22, 2011 at 6:11 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    Are you getting any pressure build up in the coolant system? If so, that might rule out the intake. Gaskets are the suspect here but if you replace them I would get the heads planed and magnifluxed. Get the Felpro like suggested earlier, Oil both sides with motor oil before installation and follow the torque pattern. Good luck

10. Aug 22, 2011 at 7:08 PM
    jalsum

jalsum Member

Member:
    reno nv
    Vehicle:
    97 tacoma S/C LT
    Have you drove it yet? When I replaced my heads there was quite a bit of fluid that made it down the CAT, and the muffler. All i did was drive for 15Min's to get the CAT hot enough to steam out the exhaust.

11. Aug 22, 2011 at 7:09 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Compression check?

12. Aug 22, 2011 at 9:06 PM
    hayabusa3303

hayabusa3303 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    florence sc
    Vehicle:
    95.5 taco 4x4
    ARB bumper, warn 9.5 winch. carbon fiber hood. Leer top with thule racks and MOAB from thule. Electric fans, blue sea fuse block, Sony dvd Head unit, Xm tuner and HD tuner. New carpet and new racing seats. ( other half doesnt like them i think). Nwor springs and adjustable coil overs. Sky jacker rear shocks. Slot and drilled rotors. Engine Titanium ceramic coated headers, no cat, jba cat back. URD Rear Sensor Simulator. Leds all around and inside cab and HID H4 hi/lo beams.
    I will agree a compression check is needed. I got a feeling you got a hold of some the the 1st or 2nd gen head gaskets.

When i did mine 5 years ago felpro had 3 layer metal gaskets. If you did the cross pattern wrong to the head bolts that is where your problem is. The gasket has LIFTED up some.

Also did you make sure both surfaces on the block and on the head both where clean before gasket??

PS: If it still runs hot im thinking you have a blockage in the block some where for coolant.

when i had my engine part i blocked off the oil passages took off the water pump and used compressed air to blow anything in the coolant out.

Products Discussed in

To Top