1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Chassis Rust in Canada

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by TacNL, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Aug 23, 2011 at 12:34 PM
    TacNL

TacNL [OP] Member

Member:
    Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 SR5 V6
    Draw-tite hitch WeatherTech liners
    I have a 2003 Toy 4x4 which I bought used in March, 2011. The previous owner told me that it was checked by Toyota and the chassis treated with some rust protectant or something. I have checked with the dealer to confirm that this was done and they tell me that the chassis warranty is only covered until Oct of this year. I am going to have it rechecked tomorrow because it was last done in March of 2010. I have read on here that Toyota had extended chassis warranties to 15yrs - so my question is if that only applied to US customers or also Canadians? I kinda get the feeling that the dealer is giving me a bit of a run around and not being real forthcoming with info. For example, they said "well everything is done with the truck, that is going to be done" but after pressing a bit they said it was covered until Oct 2011 and it would be okay to get it checked.

If someone can help with this it would be great and also if someone had a copy of the letter to post or a link to it for Canadian owners of 2001 to 2004 Tacomas it would be helpful. thanks,

2. Aug 24, 2011 at 6:24 AM
    FishinTaco

FishinTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D'Arcy
    Sudbury, ON
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4 5spd
    5100's all the way around, OME 880's and AAL, BF's 265/75R16. Switched beds from Stepside to Fleetside
    Hey TacNL,

The deal is as I understand it (I've been through a buy back and now a frame replacement)...the truck needs to be brought it before october 2011 (extended from october 2011) so it can be checked. At this point you are now eligible for the 15yr frame warrenty, regardless of what they choose to do at the time of your frame test before october 2011. If you choose not to bring the truck in before october 2011, you are out of luck.

Example, if your truck passes the test before october and they just re-rust proof the frame yet your frame fails the test next year, you will get a new frame at that time.

If your 2003 was in service in late 2002, your frame will be warrantied until late 2017.

Hope this helps, don't let the Dealership screw you around, I've had to explain some of this process to toyota people...lol. I called Toyota canada before i bought my 2002 this year to make sure I'd be eligible.

Cheers,

3. Aug 24, 2011 at 10:48 AM
    TacNL

TacNL [OP] Member

Member:
    Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 SR5 V6
    Draw-tite hitch WeatherTech liners
    Okay thanks for the explanation - I was thinking that Oct 2011 may have been a cut-off for getting the checks done. Yeah, it doesn't give you a good feeling when asking a dealer about the warranty extension and they tell you to check online when they are supposed to be the people in the know. I get the impression that they get bonuses or something for withholding info and putting customers in a state of confusion. Anyway thanks for the help, that is why I like these forums; and mine was checked today and passed so I'll get it rechecked again in a year.

I did notice when checking it myself that I could put my finger in a cutout hole in the chassis and feel quite a bit of dirt inside - maybe more that an inch deep. That cannot be good for corrosion - anyone else notice that and is there anyway to get it flushed out?

4. Aug 24, 2011 at 2:02 PM
    FishinTaco

FishinTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D'Arcy
    Sudbury, ON
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4 5spd
    5100's all the way around, OME 880's and AAL, BF's 265/75R16. Switched beds from Stepside to Fleetside
    I had the same thing with my 98', and the rocks that made it inside my frame were about to fall out the bottom rail...lol That's how I found the hole...and then another...etc. I actually had to show toyota where the whole was..they didn't find it. Cheers!

Products Discussed in

To Top