Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Help me avoid death and death related symptoms

Old 08-25-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
MacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
MacGyvR's Tacoma Gallery
Help me avoid death and death related symptoms

I need a new suspension all the way around. New coils, leafs, and shocks. As a starving college student, there's no way I can do all of this at once. Especially since I'm getting new tires in September. Where would my money be best spent? I think the most I can spend is $300ish.

I eventually want to have this setup
Billy 5100's
Stock coils
AAL, or a new leaf pack

I was thinking I should do the front coils and shocks first, since I think doing one without the other will damage the new components. What do you think?
Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #2
4Running
AlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 37th Helicopter Squadron
Name: Adam
AlphaEcho2k5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyvR View Post
I need a new suspension all the way around. New coils, leafs, and shocks. As a starving college student, there's no way I can do all of this at once. Especially since I'm getting new tires in September. Where would my money be best spent? I think the most I can spend is $300ish.

I eventually want to have this setup
Billy 5100's
Stock coils
AAL, or a new leaf pack

I was thinking I should do the front coils and shocks first, since I think doing one without the other will damage the new components. What do you think?
Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-25-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
Need or want?
Old 08-25-2011, 07:07 PM   #5
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like you should get some gently used stuff if you can't afford to eat but you HAVE to have new suspension. Or if you buy oem style shocks with no lift you can save hundreds now and save for later...
Old 08-25-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
Glitterdick
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
If your shocks are worn out, I would replace those front and especially back for safety's sake to keep your tires on the road. Those new tires won't do you any good if the aren't contacting the pavement.

Don't bother lifting/replacing springs until you can afford to do it right.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:12 PM   #7
MacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shedMacGyvR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MacGyvR's Tacoma Gallery
Need.

The ride quality is pretty shitty, which I don't mind much, but I get nervous when there are messed up sections of road or highway that I have to take at speed. Especially when turning!

Is it worth getting OEM shocks? I thought they would wear out faster.

Also, I'm not sure gently used has very much meaning. Someone can say their shocks only have 5k of highway miles on them, but how do I know they weren't out off roading? I don't have enough experience with these components to recognize that kind of wear and tear.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:16 PM   #8
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Need.

The ride quality is pretty shitty, which I don't mind much, but I get nervous when there are messed up sections of road or highway that I have to take at speed. Especially when turning!

Also, I'm not sure gently used has very much meaning. Someone can say their shocks only have 5k of highway miles on them, but how do I know they weren't out off roading? I don't have enough experience with these components to recognize that kind of wear and tear.
Drive more cautiously then. If you were in Saint Louis I'd sell you my old leaf pack with a 2" aal for 50 bucks and lunch. I haven't thought of a price yet but I have rear 5100s that I need to get rid of as well.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #9
Dilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilley is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation Electrician's Mate 2nd Class (AW)
Dilley's Tacoma Gallery
Cant you just create some out of some paperclips and chewing gum Macgyvr?
Old 08-25-2011, 10:35 PM   #10

MacGyvR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by malander View Post
Drive more cautiously then. If you were in Saint Louis I'd sell you my old leaf pack with a 2" aal for 50 bucks and lunch. I haven't thought of a price yet but I have rear 5100s that I need to get rid of as well.
Yeah, that would be nice. That's at least 15 light years from where I live though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilley View Post
Cant you just create some out of some paperclips and chewing gum Macgyvr?
Where do you think my original suspension came from?
Old 08-25-2011, 11:00 PM   #11
Glitterdick
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Need.

You are describing what I felt about my truck when I got it used. I was alarmed at speed in bumpy freeway curves at the speed of surrounding traffic. This is a safety issue. That is why I advocate shocks first. New shocks wil do a better job of controlling worn out springs, which you can't afford to replace right now.

Shocks wear out over time. Getting another set of Bilstein HDs will get you through another 20-50,000 miles. They are good shocks. And I suggest new ones, not used. Shock length is specific to suspension ride height. When you can afford a proper lift, it means that you can afford the proper shocks to go with the springs you choose.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:59 AM   #12

MacGyvR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
You are describing what I felt about my truck when I got it used. I was alarmed at speed in bumpy freeway curves at the speed of surrounding traffic. This is a safety issue. That is why I advocate shocks first. New shocks wil do a better job of controlling worn out springs, which you can't afford to replace right now.

Shocks wear out over time. Getting another set of Bilstein HDs will get you through another 20-50,000 miles. They are good shocks. And I suggest new ones, not used. Shock length is specific to suspension ride height. When you can afford a proper lift, it means that you can afford the proper shocks to go with the springs you choose.
This sounds like a good solution. Do you know where I can get billy HD's for a good price? From what I've seen it looks like it would be only $100 more for 5100s all around.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:07 AM   #13
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This sounds like a good solution. Do you know where I can get billy HD's for a good price? From what I've seen it looks like it would be only $100 more for 5100s all around.
Save your $100... You said you were a poor college student now you want to spend an extra $100 on 5100's when you don't need them? Make up your mind!

Try local auto parts stores for Bilstein HD's, or go to Bilstein's website and find out who carries them local to you.

EDIT: You might be able to get 5100's, I can't find HD's $100 cheaper than what Downsouth Motorsports lists the 5100's for.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:21 AM   #14

MacGyvR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Save your $100... You said you were a poor college student now you want to spend an extra $100 on 5100's when you don't need them? Make up your mind!

Try local auto parts stores for Bilstein HD's, or go to Bilstein's website and find out who carries them local to you.

EDIT: You might be able to get 5100's, I can't find HD's $100 cheaper than what Downsouth Motorsports lists the 5100's for.
lol, I am poor. But if the 5100s last substantially longer, I can see waiting a little longer to save the money. I'm just looking at all the angles.

Edit: Autozone carries the HDs for either $65 or $89 each (couldn't figure out which one I needed), which would come to either $260 or $356 before taxes and shipping. I remember seeing that down south motorsports was selling the 5100 pack for like $309 before shipping and taxes. I'll just go with the 5100s if I can't find the HDs for substantially cheaper.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:34 AM   #15
Sign Guy will become famous soon enough
Name: Brian
Sign Guy's Tacoma Gallery
I got my 5100's from downsouth (great deal!). I don't remember who I got my AAL from but it was under $100 and really helped lift up that saggin rear end.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:12 AM   #16
Glitterdick

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
lol, I am poor. But if the 5100s last substantially longer, I can see waiting a little longer to save the money. I'm just looking at all the angles.

Edit: Autozone carries the HDs for either $65 or $89 each (couldn't figure out which one I needed), which would come to either $260 or $356 before taxes and shipping. I remember seeing that down south motorsports was selling the 5100 pack for like $309 before shipping and taxes. I'll just go with the 5100s if I can't find the HDs for substantially cheaper.
Just make sure when you get the shocks that you get the right part numbers--especially if you order online. This sounds weird, but you need three different shocks:
2 front (same part number)
1 rear driver side
1 rear passenger side

Have you tried RockAuto?

The rear schocks are side-specific becasue they are different lengths.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:50 AM   #17

MacGyvR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just make sure when you get the shocks that you get the right part numbers--especially if you order online. This sounds weird, but you need three different shocks:
1 rear driver side
1 rear passenger side

Have you tried RockAuto?

The rear schocks are side-specific becasue they are different lengths.
Just took a look at rock auto, and I'm kind of blown away. I can get new shocks for as low as 18 each!
How do I pick the correct shocks? I see that a few say RR and front, but none seem to say rear passenger. Also, could someone recommend or give me advice on what to pick? I don't want to pick the cheapest shocks only to have them wear out after 10k miles.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #18
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
Bilstiens all the way around--you do not need the AAL yet--unless you have a HOT TUB in the bed.
I did the aal FIRST--Because of heavy loads--Shocks were still good.
Safest and best thing to do--get the bilstiens.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:03 PM   #19

MacGyvR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by newertoy View Post
Bilstiens all the way around--you do not need the AAL yet--unless you have a HOT TUB in the bed.
I did the aal FIRST--Because of heavy loads--Shocks were still good.
Safest and best thing to do--get the bilstiens.
I'd love to get the billies, because I'd like to lift it an inch or two eventually, But if I can get new shocks all around for under $150 I can't rationalize the spending at this time... Unless they're going to last forever, lol.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:33 PM   #20
Galt/Rearden 2012
whatatoy is a jewel in the roughwhatatoy is a jewel in the roughwhatatoy is a jewel in the roughwhatatoy is a jewel in the rough
whatatoy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

1 rear driver side
1 rear passenger side
I'm reviving the thread here because I would like some help here - I'm not a starving college student, but I dont have a bunch of money to spend on the SAS I really want, so I'll have to go with just replacing my shocks instead. I have a 98 prerunner. If someone could recommend which shocks (pref with part number) I would appreciate it - especially if there are 3 different one's to order. My budget is around $2-300 at most and I will be replacing all 4 doing the work myself. Thank you.