Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2001 Toyota Scheduled Maintenance Guide

Old 08-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #21
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2014 View Post
If I remember correctly the torque is 54 ft lbs on all the propellor shaft bolts.
You remember correctly.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MT-7_man tran comp.pdf (45.2 KB, 80 views)
Old 09-11-2012, 08:41 AM   #22
wkbrdtx is on a distinguished road
wkbrdtx's Tacoma Gallery
I followed the schedule and when i got to the propeller shaft re-torqueing I discovered that they were so tight I could not loosen them to re-torque - so i just left them alone.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #23
White Monster is on a distinguished road

Navy: Electronics Technician 2nd Class Petty Officer
Name: Steve
White Monster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
So I finally had a chance to get a Blackstone Labs test, including the TBN, to see how the engine is wearing and to see if I can safely extend oil change intervals to 7,500 now that the truck has 120k miles on it. Looks like I can. The Mobile 1 TBN at 5169 miles is 4.6.
Use Mobile 1 Extended Performance (EP) and double your oil change interval and go to 15,000 !!!

I have tested my Inline 2.7L four-cylinder 3RZ-FE at both 14,200 and 18,500 with excellent results (meaning no abnormal engine wear or contaminates) and some TBN still remaining. My engine has 125,000 on it now, mostly easy, clean driving without loads or towing.

Averages: Both the universal and unit averages are running averages and change with the number of samples we analyze.

Elements: Elements are quantified in the oil at parts per million levels (PPM). This list shows the most common sources of the elements in gasoline or diesel engine oil. Following each element is a description of where it comes from. They are grouped by category.

Wear Metals
Aluminum: Pistons, bearings, cases (heads & blocks).
Chromium: Rings, a trace element in steel.
Iron: Cylinders, rotating shafts, the valve train, and any steel part sharing the oil.
Copper: Brass or bronze parts, copper bushings, bearings, oil coolers, also an additive in some gasoline engine oils.
Lead: Bearings.
Tin: Bearings, bronze parts, piston coatings.
Nickel: Trace element in steel, platings on some cylinder types.

Trace Elements
Manganese: Trace element, additive in some foreign gasoline.
Silver: Trace element, some types of bearings.
Titanium: Trace wear metal.

Contaminants
Potassium: Antifreeze, additive in some oil types.
Sodium: Antifreeze (ethylene glycol), additive in some gasoline engine oils.
Silicon: Airborne dirt escaping air filtration, sealers, gaskets, sand-casted parts, and spray lubricants, antifreeze -inhibitor.

Oil Additives
Molybdenum: Anti-wear additive, some types of rings.
Boron: Detergent/dispersant additive, antifreeze inhibitors.
Calcium: Detergent/dispersant additive.
Magnesium: Detergent/dispersant additive.
Phosphorus: Anti-wear additive.
Zinc: Anti-wear additive.
Barium: Detergent/dispersant additive used in some synthetics.

Physical properties
Viscosity/Flashpoint: If fuel is present in the oil, the Viscosity and Flashpoint will often be lower than stated in the "Values Should Be" line. A high viscosity may show oil oxidation or high levels of soot. It can also show an oil additive in use.
Fuel %: Indicates the amount of volatile fuel dilution found in the oil.
Antifreeze %: Indicates the amount of antifreeze found in the oil. A question mark means we found possible traces of coolant, but not enough to definitively say it's there.
Water %: Indicates the amount of water found in the oil.
Insolubles %: Insolubles are solid materials present in the oil. They are typically free carbon from the oxidation of the oil itself, along with blow-by past the rings.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:45 PM   #24
Zer0 is on a distinguished road
Zer0's Tacoma Gallery
hello. great post! does registering for that site give you history for any service done at the dealerships? Im the second owner of my 99 tacoma and the previous owner said he did all the service at the dealer. thanks
Old 02-10-2014, 06:55 AM   #25
US Patriot
Dondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDondy52 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Michael
Dondy52's Tacoma Gallery
Great post! I'm going to have to look into that propeller shaft re-torquing. Is it true that the OEM shocks have a lifetime warranty?
Old 02-10-2014, 08:36 AM   #26
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
hello. great post! does registering for that site give you history for any service done at the dealerships? Im the second owner of my 99 tacoma and the previous owner said he did all the service at the dealer. thanks
Not necessarily. I think they only go back to a certain point, or may depend on how dealers recorded data.

For example, I have a 2001 with only one previous owner. He had hard copies of the major maint. records from the dealer, including T-belt change @90k. However, this is not shown in the online record.