Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2001 Toyota Scheduled Maintenance Guide

Old 08-27-2011, 09:15 AM   #1
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
2001 Toyota Scheduled Maintenance Guide

OK, it seems a lot of people either are missing this from their glove box or not aware of it.

This information (attached PDF) is not in the owner's manual.

It details the 5,000-mile and 7,500-mile interval schedules depending on how you use your vehicle. I find this of most interest regarding oil changes.

You can obtain this information on toyotaownersonline.com (plus recalls, safety campaigns, etc. pending on your specific VIN, plus any service history performed by Toyota dealers).

Free, quick registration, have your VIN handy.

Edit: You can also go here:
http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/guides.php

Mods, please sticky.

UPDATE: Note that another member donwloaded the 2002 version, and it no longer included the 7,500-mile interval. Since nothing else about the truck or oil changed, we (yes, "we" means you, too, so I am giving you no choice) can only assume that people found the 7,500 interval too difficult to follow. Math is hard. Nevertheless, the fact that Toyota specified 7,500 miles interval for non-severe duty oil changes all the way back to at least the 93 pickup (that was my last truck) indicates that synthetic oil intervals on 7,500 miles are a no-brainer for non-severe duty in terms of not being harmful to the engine.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Toyota_2001_Maint_Schedule.pdf (782.3 KB, 4641 views)
Old 08-27-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for posting this...I need one for my '08 so I'll register as well.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by friction View Post
Thanks for posting this...I need one for my '08 so I'll register as well.
You're welcome! Glad to help.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
(is stuck in my thread, thanks )
Old 08-27-2011, 10:11 AM   #5

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
(is stuck in my thread, thanks )
You were the next step, sir! Beat me to it!
Old 09-22-2011, 04:01 PM   #7
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQ TACO View Post
Wow oem shock have a lifetime warranty wtf?!?!?!? I didnt know this
I read that too, but I think its OEM replacement shocks are. So if the factory ones go, you buy new ones (bought and installed by toyota) then they are warranty
Old 01-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #8

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Added direct link to Toyota's online service intervals in the OP.

http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/guides.php
Old 01-22-2012, 09:11 AM   #9
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone actually retorque the propellor shaft every 10,000 miles or whatever it says? I have 44k and have never done it.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #10

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2014 View Post
Does anyone actually retorque the propellor shaft every 10,000 miles or whatever it says? I have 44k and have never done it.
Maybe you should start a poll...

Yeah, that caught my eye, too. I mean, really? You'd think maybe every 30k with the diff oil changes. It made me think, "Are they that unreliable?"

Or maybe it is a ploy by Toyota to get more people in for service...
Old 02-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #11
Afraz is on a distinguished road
Afraz's Tacoma Gallery
Will this apply to 2003 models as well ?
Old 02-09-2012, 12:17 AM   #12

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afraz View Post
Will this apply to 2003 models as well ?
Yes. But you can download the 2003 version from the links listed in the OP. The only differences in the trucks up to 2004 are technical details unaffected by preventative maintenance.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:12 AM   #13
voodootruckers is a glorious beacon of lightvoodootruckers is a glorious beacon of lightvoodootruckers is a glorious beacon of lightvoodootruckers is a glorious beacon of lightvoodootruckers is a glorious beacon of lightvoodootruckers is a glorious beacon of light

voodootruckers's Tacoma Gallery
Nice, thanks very much for sharing.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:57 AM   #14

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodootruckers View Post
Nice, thanks very much for sharing.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:01 PM   #15
Beating Anorexia since 1976
OmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOmahaStylee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OmahaStylee's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for posting - I approve of this thread
Old 03-31-2012, 03:56 PM   #16

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
So I finally had a chance to get a Blackstone Labs test, including the TBN, to see how the engine is wearing and to see if I can safely extend oil change intervals to 7,500 now that the truck has 120k miles on it.

Looks like I can. The Mobile 1 TBN at 5169 miles is 4.6.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Blackstone_01TACOMA-030412_edit.pdf (76.0 KB, 286 views)
Old 06-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #17
had2020 is on a distinguished road

Name: Heath
had2020's Tacoma Gallery
Hey! Thanks for posting this, I really needed it.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #18
Agent
MRBOND101 is on a distinguished road

Name: Dylan
MRBOND101's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post

Yeah, that caught my eye, too. I mean, really? You'd think maybe every 30k with the diff oil changes. It made me think, "Are they that unreliable?"

Yea that was my thinking as well a poll would be nice. I for one have never done it too my truck.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #19
Untitled
InactiveUser has a spectacular aura aboutInactiveUser has a spectacular aura about

InactiveUser's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post

Liability. Honda says to re-torque every single bolt on my motorcycle each service. Excluding internals or hard to reach bolts of course but damn, that bolt? Really? My brothers Jeep was 240 ft lbs :| and he actually managed to get it to click without the Jeep being on a lift for service! My wrench has a max of 250 ft lbs -_- Highest torque value I had to do was 160 ft lbs and that was for an F250
Old 08-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #20
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by InactiveUser View Post
Liability. Honda says to re-torque every single bolt on my motorcycle each service. Excluding internals or hard to reach bolts of course but damn, that bolt? Really? My brothers Jeep was 240 ft lbs :| and he actually managed to get it to click without the Jeep being on a lift for service! My wrench has a max of 250 ft lbs -_- Highest torque value I had to do was 160 ft lbs and that was for an F250
If I remember correctly the torque is 54 ft lbs on all the propellor shaft bolts.