1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Problem with brakes

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Tacoma mud, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Aug 27, 2011 at 9:31 PM
    Tacoma mud

Tacoma mud [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    97' xtra cab sr5 4x4
    soon to come
    I have to press the brake petal all the way to the floor to stop. My bro in law said it was probably the rotors? Could it be something with brake fluid, i had this cr**py 2" block lift, could it be my brake lines arent long enough?

:help:

2. Aug 27, 2011 at 9:41 PM
    hayabusa3303

hayabusa3303 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    florence sc
    Vehicle:
    95.5 taco 4x4
    ARB bumper, warn 9.5 winch. carbon fiber hood. Leer top with thule racks and MOAB from thule. Electric fans, blue sea fuse block, Sony dvd Head unit, Xm tuner and HD tuner. New carpet and new racing seats. ( other half doesnt like them i think). Nwor springs and adjustable coil overs. Sky jacker rear shocks. Slot and drilled rotors. Engine Titanium ceramic coated headers, no cat, jba cat back. URD Rear Sensor Simulator. Leds all around and inside cab and HID H4 hi/lo beams.
    check your calipers. They could be freezing up also.

3. Aug 27, 2011 at 9:44 PM
    Tacoma mud

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    97' xtra cab sr5 4x4
    soon to come
    Hmmmm, it could be alot of things..... How do i check the master cylinder??

4. Aug 28, 2011 at 10:39 PM
    hayabusa3303

hayabusa3303 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    florence sc
    Vehicle:
    95.5 taco 4x4
    ARB bumper, warn 9.5 winch. carbon fiber hood. Leer top with thule racks and MOAB from thule. Electric fans, blue sea fuse block, Sony dvd Head unit, Xm tuner and HD tuner. New carpet and new racing seats. ( other half doesnt like them i think). Nwor springs and adjustable coil overs. Sky jacker rear shocks. Slot and drilled rotors. Engine Titanium ceramic coated headers, no cat, jba cat back. URD Rear Sensor Simulator. Leds all around and inside cab and HID H4 hi/lo beams.
    Master cylinder does it when the pedal goes down stops and then you need more pedal to stop, do to the seals in the MC bleeding back though to the tank. ( in turn low pressure in your brake system).

5. Aug 30, 2011 at 11:00 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    The lift could have something to do with it... the lift is fooling your rear brake proportioning valve into thinking the back is super light and is sending way less pressure to the rear brakes than is necessary. Beefed Taco sells a relocation bracket that solves this. I have it on my truck.

It seems like you might be low on brake fluid too.. that'd be the first thing to check as it's so simple

(Also, FYI, you can say "crappy" here. Hell, you can even say "shitty". but just don't say ******)

6. Aug 30, 2011 at 11:12 PM
    MapleMoose

MapleMoose Drunk Canadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    West Kootenays
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma SR5
    3" Eibach Coils, 3" AP Springs, AP 6" Shackles Toytec Diff drop, BAMF Sliders, Deck plate mod,Volt meter, Highbeam mod, PIAA fogs, 18" Magnaflow, LED dash swap, Color matched Satoshi Grille, Custom Rear Plate Bumper
    If you were low in brake fluid, your E-brake light would be on.
    Do you mean the pedal does soft like you have no brakes or does it take alot of pressure to stop the truck?

If the pedal is going soft then it is probly the master cylinder.

If it takes more pressure to stop, could be calipers not functioning or worn out brakes.

7. Aug 30, 2011 at 11:28 PM
    Linelock4

Linelock4 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    04 Extra-cab V6 5-speed 4x4 Limited TRD
    Spectra intake and Air-Raid throttle body spacer.
    I had that problem in my 04 4WD and it turned out to be a frozen caliper on my passenger front side. Around this time my parents got my Mom an FJ which I got to drive and when I hit the brakes I almost went through the windshield. After that I got the LC Engineering front big brake kit. I recommend going with the larger front brakes. Just learn a lesson from me, which is the LC kit is way too much money. Just go out and get 1st gen TUNDRA 4wd front calipers, rotors, and pads. They used the same rims as the tacos so the have the same clearances for the wheels. The difference is the Tundra brakes are bigger for the larger trucks and towing capacity. But save a ton of money by going to Autozone or Pep Boys to get the parts. When your done just becareful stepping on the pedal so YOU don't go through the windshield of your truck. It made a huge difference with my truck. Oh yeah the anti-lock isn't even touched.

8. Aug 31, 2011 at 3:42 PM
    Tacoma mud

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    97' xtra cab sr5 4x4
    soon to come
    Compared to my 02 chevy the tacomas brakes are weird, i have to almost press all the way to the floor to completely stop, the pedal isnt loose but it doesnt take much preasure to push down

Products Discussed in

To Top