LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Strange Noise??

Old 10-28-2008, 09:04 AM   #1
TXtacoma is on a distinguished road
TXtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Strange Noise??

I've been experiencing this strange noise for well over 2 yrs on my 01' PreRunner. I realize that is long time to wait to find an answer, but here I am. Actually, I first remember it a few months after I got my truck back from the dealer due to an accident. The problem was and still is that the noise does not happen all the time. I had one mechanic look at it, but during the time he had it the truck never made the noise. It seems to be happening more frequently now. The best I can describe it is it sounds like a high squeal (almost like bad bearings or something is loose). It can get rather loud and its annoying as all get out. It sounds like it is coming from under the back seats. I have the Extended Cab. The key to this noise is the pitch of the squeal elevates when pressing on the accelerator. When I take my foot off the gas it most often goes away, and if not totally away it always decreases in volume and intensity. What would this be? Fuel pump? I have no idea? If it was the fuel pump you would think after 2 yrs the thing would have failed already. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
TX
Old 10-28-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
stucksucksnayota is a jewel in the roughstucksucksnayota is a jewel in the roughstucksucksnayota is a jewel in the rough

Name: Barry
stucksucksnayota's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to stucksucksnayota
The fuel pump maybe what it is but I would lean more towards an exhaust leak. It kinda makes since if you think about it when the exhaust press increases because your on the gas its gets loud and when you let off the gas it the noise decreases. I dont really know of a good way to check for exhaust leaks because im guessin its probably a pretty small one. You may be able to just crawl underneath it when its cold ( so you dont burn the shit out of your hands) and just run your hads along the pipe with your truck running and see if you can feel anything coming out. But there may be an easier way to check that idk about
Old 10-28-2008, 01:38 PM   #3
backwoodking is on a distinguished road
backwoodking's Tacoma Gallery
Im just takin a shot in the dark here, but maybe the U joints on the front of the drive shaft is worn out and dry. Im not sure that would cause a squeal, but it is worth a shot to grease those zircs.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:54 PM   #4
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
It changes with engine RPM but not truck speed on the road? Does it do it in neutral?
Old 10-28-2008, 01:55 PM   #5
Obama can suck-it
TSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the rough
TSUNAMI*22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtacoma View Post
I've been experiencing this strange noise for well over 2 yrs on my 01' PreRunner. I realize that is long time to wait to find an answer, but here I am. Actually, I first remember it a few months after I got my truck back from the dealer due to an accident. The problem was and still is that the noise does not happen all the time. I had one mechanic look at it, but during the time he had it the truck never made the noise. It seems to be happening more frequently now. The best I can describe it is it sounds like a high squeal (almost like bad bearings or something is loose). It can get rather loud and its annoying as all get out. It sounds like it is coming from under the back seats. I have the Extended Cab. The key to this noise is the pitch of the squeal elevates when pressing on the accelerator. When I take my foot off the gas it most often goes away, and if not totally away it always decreases in volume and intensity. What would this be? Fuel pump? I have no idea? If it was the fuel pump you would think after 2 yrs the thing would have failed already. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
TX

Fuel Pump.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:44 AM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerNameIsLucy View Post
It changes with engine RPM but not truck speed on the road? Does it do it in neutral?

No. I checked and it does not do it when I hit the accelerator in neutral. Of course, its an on and off occurrence so that does not mean that it will not in neutral. I think I will try to get under it this weekend and feel for a leak as suggested in one of the posts. It sure sounds like something spinning, however. I'll probably grease it up while I'm under there as well.

thanks
Old 10-29-2008, 12:05 PM   #7
stucksucksnayota is a jewel in the roughstucksucksnayota is a jewel in the roughstucksucksnayota is a jewel in the rough

Name: Barry
stucksucksnayota's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to stucksucksnayota
Well if it isn't doing it all the time it probably isn't an exhaust leak but if worth a check. Might be something in the tranny I don't know lol

Good Luck
Old 10-30-2008, 06:17 AM   #8
I don't feel any problem at all switching gears. Oh, please don't let it be the transmission. I have my 2003 Honda Odyssey in the shop right now getting the transmission re-built @ ONLY 113,000!

So much for reputation.....