1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Strange Noise??

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by TXtacoma, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Oct 28, 2008 at 9:04 AM
    TXtacoma

TXtacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner SR5
    I've been experiencing this strange noise for well over 2 yrs on my 01' PreRunner. I realize that is long time to wait to find an answer, but here I am. Actually, I first remember it a few months after I got my truck back from the dealer due to an accident. The problem was and still is that the noise does not happen all the time. I had one mechanic look at it, but during the time he had it the truck never made the noise. It seems to be happening more frequently now. The best I can describe it is it sounds like a high squeal (almost like bad bearings or something is loose). It can get rather loud and its annoying as all get out. It sounds like it is coming from under the back seats. I have the Extended Cab. The key to this noise is the pitch of the squeal elevates when pressing on the accelerator. When I take my foot off the gas it most often goes away, and if not totally away it always decreases in volume and intensity. What would this be? Fuel pump? I have no idea? If it was the fuel pump you would think after 2 yrs the thing would have failed already. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    TX

2. Oct 28, 2008 at 11:16 AM
    stucksucksnayota

stucksucksnayota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    OEM roof rack, Shorty antenna (eBay), soft tonneau cover, K&N drop in air filter, bed mat, interior LED lights, 5100's, MT tires to come soon!!!
    The fuel pump maybe what it is but I would lean more towards an exhaust leak. It kinda makes since if you think about it when the exhaust press increases because your on the gas its gets loud and when you let off the gas it the noise decreases. I dont really know of a good way to check for exhaust leaks because im guessin its probably a pretty small one. You may be able to just crawl underneath it when its cold ( so you dont burn the shit out of your hands) and just run your hads along the pipe with your truck running and see if you can feel anything coming out. But there may be an easier way to check that idk about

3. Oct 28, 2008 at 1:38 PM
    backwoodking

backwoodking Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thousand Oaks/Southern CA
    Vehicle:
    3.4 V6 Deck Plate and Cut Turn-Down
    Deck Plate, Hitch, Cut Turn-Down Exhaust, Tint, Clear Corners, Shell, Full Size bed in the pickup, Hopefully More Soon
    Im just takin a shot in the dark here, but maybe the U joints on the front of the drive shaft is worn out and dry. Im not sure that would cause a squeal, but it is worth a shot to grease those zircs.

4. Oct 28, 2008 at 1:54 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    It changes with engine RPM but not truck speed on the road? Does it do it in neutral?

5. Oct 28, 2008 at 1:55 PM
    TSUNAMI*22

TSUNAMI*22 Obama can suck-it

Member:
    Stockton, CA
    Vehicle:
    '07 Standard Cab / White / 2.7 I4
    ScanGuage 2 equipped. Toyota DIY aftermarket Cruise Control mod

Fuel Pump.

6. Oct 29, 2008 at 6:44 AM
    TXtacoma

TXtacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner SR5

No. I checked and it does not do it when I hit the accelerator in neutral. Of course, its an on and off occurrence so that does not mean that it will not in neutral. I think I will try to get under it this weekend and feel for a leak as suggested in one of the posts. It sure sounds like something spinning, however. I'll probably grease it up while I'm under there as well.

thanks

7. Oct 29, 2008 at 12:05 PM
    stucksucksnayota

stucksucksnayota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    OEM roof rack, Shorty antenna (eBay), soft tonneau cover, K&N drop in air filter, bed mat, interior LED lights, 5100's, MT tires to come soon!!!
    Well if it isn't doing it all the time it probably isn't an exhaust leak but if worth a check. Might be something in the tranny I don't know lol

Good Luck

8. Oct 30, 2008 at 6:17 AM
    TXtacoma

TXtacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner SR5
    I don't feel any problem at all switching gears. Oh, please don't let it be the transmission. I have my 2003 Honda Odyssey in the shop right now getting the transmission re-built @ ONLY 113,000!

So much for reputation.....

Products Discussed in

To Top