Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2.7 LCE header...hissing noise.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:26 PM   #1
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
2.7 LCE header...hissing noise.

Whats up fellas?

I recently installed an LCE header on my truck and since finishing it I have noticed a subtle hissing noise coming from the header location while driving.

It happens under load only, like under acceleration or revving it in neutral. No hissing at idle. Its a lot easier to hear when the door and windows are closed. When your outside the truck its nearly impossible to pinpoint. I tried having a buddy plug the exhaust with a rag to make the possible leak louder to pinpoint it but that doesn't work.

I replaced the EGR gasket b/c the one that LCE provided seemed a bit cheezy so I replaced it with a felpro gasket. It didn't help....

Any ideas? Is the hissing normal with an LCE header? I had a cracked manifold before installing the LCE header so I know that a usual exhaust leak the far upstream in the exhaust is more like a tick not a hiss....so I am stumped....

ideas?
Old 08-31-2011, 07:47 AM   #2
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
bump...anyone?
Old 08-31-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Try torquing your header bolts down in the right pattern.

then check the flange connection at end to your O2 sensor/cat...tighten it up.

Might came loose if you didn't torque to proper specs.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:41 AM   #4

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
hmmm...i re-torqued everything already, but didn't know there was a specific pattern to tighten the header nuts. I tightened the down by alternating to the right and left side and alternating top and bottom. Whats the specific pattern?
Old 09-07-2011, 08:29 PM   #5

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
bump....anyone else?

I think I am going to order a gasket set from LCE just in case I pinched the header gasket...idk where else the leak/noise could be coming from...
Old 09-07-2011, 09:40 PM   #6
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
Whats up fellas?

I recently installed an LCE header on my truck and since finishing it I have noticed a subtle hissing noise coming from the header location while driving.

It happens under load only, like under acceleration or revving it in neutral. No hissing at idle. Its a lot easier to hear when the door and windows are closed. When your outside the truck its nearly impossible to pinpoint. I tried having a buddy plug the exhaust with a rag to make the possible leak louder to pinpoint it but that doesn't work.

I replaced the EGR gasket b/c the one that LCE provided seemed a bit cheezy so I replaced it with a felpro gasket. It didn't help....

Any ideas? Is the hissing normal with an LCE header? I had a cracked manifold before installing the LCE header so I know that a usual exhaust leak the far upstream in the exhaust is more like a tick not a hiss....so I am stumped....

ideas?
I would think that if it was an exhaust leak you would hear it at idle too...

You descibe the noise as a hiss, can you be more specific or maybe make a recording and post it?

I am wondering if is simply the normal sound of headers. The sound coming through the header tubing is a lot different that what you hear from a regular, cast iron manifold.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:56 AM   #7

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
I will try to get a sound clip/video of the outside/inside. I just noticed yesterday that at idle there is a slight tick coming from the header side....but I never got to hear the motor w/o a cracked manifold so I dont know if its just the valve train or what....I might also get another can of seafoam and run it through the truck to pinpoint the leak too...