Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Help. I can't fill gas tank.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
Paulie is on a distinguished road
Name: Paulie
Paulie's Tacoma Gallery
Help. I can't fill gas tank.

The gas pump shuts off every 1/10 gallon. The truck is an '02 w/ 49k miles. It has never been off roaded so there is no mud blocking tank breather. All vacuum lines are hooked up. I would be thankfull if any knows how to fix this.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
Sport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Sport11's Tacoma Gallery
Try a new gas station I have had to move to another pump before over some similar experience.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does that sometimes. If I hold the nozzle so it's only 3/4 as far as it will go into the tank then it fixes it.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:51 AM   #4
okboatie1 is a jewel in the roughokboatie1 is a jewel in the roughokboatie1 is a jewel in the rough

Navy:
Name: Darrell
okboatie1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport11 View Post
Try a new gas station I have had to move to another pump before over some similar experience.
Have problems all the time on base. Just try another pump/station before you start looking at your ride IMHO...Good luck
Old 08-31-2011, 12:04 PM   #5
jbrandt will become famous soon enough
jbrandt's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, it's a pump issue, not a truck issue!

Sometimes I have to hold the handle down for the entire tank, instead of flipping the little lever that holds the handle down, because the auto shut-off keeps tripping.

Just fiddle with the position of the hose (pull it out a little bit, or push it in a little further), or just hold the handle. Or go to a different pump.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:23 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Actually it is probably the truck.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:25 PM   #8
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Sometimes I have to hold the nozzle upside down at some stations...
Old 08-31-2011, 06:32 PM   #10
Official Flatlander
Gieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shedGieser is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gieser's Tacoma Gallery
my moms camry did this but it was alot worse. it ended up being the charcol canister. something to do with the fuel filler neck. maybe the same thing?
Old 08-31-2011, 06:43 PM   #11
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Mine does that sometimes. If I hold the nozzle so it's only 3/4 as far as it will go into the tank then it fixes it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Actually it is probably the truck.
^those^
The fill tube design cuts off the venturi (see below)
Quote:
As the gas level in the tank rises, the distance between the dispenser nozzle and the fuel grows smaller. A small pipe called a venturi runs alongside the gas nozzle. When the end of the venturi pipe becomes submerged in the rising gas, it chokes off the air pressure that holds the nozzle handle open and shuts down the flow of gas. Unfortunately, this shutdown can sometimes happen before the tank is full as the rapidly flowing gas backs up on its way into the tank. This can cause the gas handle to spring open before pumping is complete, leaving the annoyed customer to squeeze the handle again and risk the possibility of overflow. Pausing briefly will allow the gas to continue into the tank and the pump nozzle to start pouring gas again.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:47 PM   #12
Urban Redneck is on a distinguished road
Urban Redneck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Same here. It sucks that you can't walk away from it, but this still works. It's only at some stations that it happens, tho.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #13
Paulie is on a distinguished road
Name: Paulie
Paulie's Tacoma Gallery
I'm going to chect out the canister. It's a truck issue. It worked fine then one day was unable to fill tank
Old 06-06-2014, 03:26 PM   #14
REvans2001 is on a distinguished road
Name: Russell
REvans2001's Tacoma Gallery
Fixed: Can't fill gas tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
The gas pump shuts off every 1/10 gallon. The truck is an '02 w/ 49k miles. It has never been off roaded so there is no mud blocking tank breather. All vacuum lines are hooked up. I would be thankfull if any knows how to fix this.
I had this problem after Mr. GoodWrench did oil change and air filter on my 2002 Taco. Turned out that the mech pinched a hose under the air filter cover. Took off the cover, moved the hose and replaced the cover: fixed!

Good luck!