1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

red vs pink

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ozzyso44, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Sep 6, 2011 at 7:03 PM
    ozzyso44

ozzyso44 [OP] Member

Member:
    Smithville, MO
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma 4x4
    Last week I went to the dealer and bought some of the Super Long Life antifreeze, since that was what my radiator tag said to change it out with. I was just going to fill the over-flow and then drain some and add the rest to the radiator. I had been losing some from my cap and thought that I would replace the cap and fill the over-flow tank and add the rest to the radiator(waste not, want not).

MY fault for not checking the bottle as I walked out of the dealership.

1. Drained about 3/4 of a gallon from radiator into a contaminated container.

2. Opened up what I thought was "Super Long Life", but it was "Long Life"

3. Did this on the holiday weekend = They were closed.

4. I filled with diluted red (w/ distilled)

5. Went back today to the service dept and asked them how much for a flush?? They said they don't flush it, just drain and fill for about $90.00

6. Knowing all well that I was setting them up, I asked them if I could mix red and pink. He said, "No."

7. I told him that parts sold me the wrong stuff and I went ahead and filled, and that now I am worried about the mix.
    THEN HE SAID = "I wouldn't worry about it."

8. I asked him why he was back-tracking and he told me that since I didn't fill too much, no big deal.

9. I then went to parts dept and asked why I got something different than what I needed and he told me they were interchangeable.

OK! If you were me, would you be worried?

Below in a quick list of quotes gathered off a simple google search. Don't beat me up too much, I just like my truck. It's the best truck I have had and don't feel like I was told the truth by the dealership. I just want the old thing to keep on running, care-free and steadfast.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    "Not good to mix them, but no disaster will happen if you do because they're fairly similar."

"Personally, I wouldn't mix them."

"I called the dealer and asked if I could use the "Long Life" red coolant and they didn't think it should be mixed with the pink stuff. I'm sure if I called 10 dealers I'd get 10 different answers."

"Our trucks use the super long life pink coolant. It should be flushed out around 100K miles. Don't use anything but OEM pink coolant."

"Never mix coolant."

2. Sep 6, 2011 at 7:08 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Long life = shorter life than "super" long life. Just shorten the next drain interval.

3. Sep 6, 2011 at 8:32 PM
    Pol500

Pol500 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Duluth, MN
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD DC 4x4
    Deck plate, grey-wire, blue plug, alarm mod, clear corners, moved/painted badges, color matched grill, topper, 5100s, wheelers 5 leaf + 1.5 aal , OME coils, All-Pro rear bumper, Methods w/ 32's, converted HID Hellas, supercharger
    I wouldn't worry about it if it was mine but if you are worried a flush is pretty easy to do on your own, the thermostats are fairly easy to get to on these trucks, the v6 at least.

Products Discussed in

To Top