Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Window Trim Mod/Fix

Old 09-14-2011, 02:41 AM   #1
onesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
onesixseven's Tacoma Gallery
Window Trim Mod/Fix

Okay so I thought I did this a long time ago, but apparantly not??? Anyways, fixed that ugly plastic window trim that was there when I got my truck. I know there is probably another thread about this but I couldn't find one as "in detail". Enjoy

Tools Required:
Ratchet and socket set (mine was a 12mm)
Plasti-Dip (1 can)
Painter's Tape (I used frog tape)
A cold beverage and some music

First off you need to pop off that black piece of trim by the window inside the cab, it's held on by clips that are pretty tough so just pull where the clips are and you don't need to worry about breaking.

Next your left with the 3 nuts. Take those off and make sure you hold your mirror while doing so, or else your looking at a couple hundred dollar plast-dip fix

Unplug the harness

Now your ready to remove the trim. Note: make sure you somehow hold the harness in place so it hangs out the door, otherwise you're gonna have a great time fishing that out.

Mine was bad...

Next you slide the trim away from the rubber weather sealing. It should be able to slide over with a little coaxing

Now you can pull up the clips. There were only a few spread periodically. So just lift carefully in the spots where you see them in the pictures and you're good to go.

These are what the clips look like if it helps...

Now you have to scrape off all of the old rubber (if there's any left). I used a window scraper, but I'm sure any type of blade would work, just be careful not to dog into the trim piece itself.

Next step, masking. Basically just mask it so that your not spraying rubber all over the weather stripping. Do a good job. For some reason this next pic makes it look like I already sprayed it, but not yet.

Time to spray. Many would say use some sand paper and make the surface tacky first, IMO you don't have to with plasti-dip, but that my opinion. Mine has been okay for 6 months now so... yeah. Anyways, the first coat is a very light one. Spray from all angles but remember it's a light coat, so don't get crazy.

In the meantime, clean up the area where the trim normally is. Wet rag did the job for me.

After like 20mins, go for the second coat. Go for a nice even, decently thick coat. Most importantly, even.

3rd coat. Repeat.

It was hot out, so mine was good to touch in 30 mins, just make sure your's is too. But here she is, dry and ready to go.

Put it all back on in reverse order and enjoy not spending $50 or more at the stealership. Comment or PM for questions/comments
Old 09-14-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Nice. Mine are the same way...
Old 09-14-2011, 09:05 PM   #3
onesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

theyre jacked up? dude fix em, it took me all of like an hour. noo prob
Old 09-15-2011, 08:30 AM   #4
wanderingwayne is on a distinguished road
Army: 334th Attack Helicopter
Name: Wayne
wanderingwayne's Tacoma Gallery
Good job. I love this site. Mine could use a little touch up. Don't know whether I should try and do a little bit here and there or just redo the whole thing.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Old news...I painted mine :P

but that was my old truck.

Never hurd of Plasti Derpz till diz forumz.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
Ivan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ivan
Ivan's Tacoma Gallery
I wanna do this around the rear sliding window trim
Old 09-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #7
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the write up. I was already considering this for mine. They were getting to look kinda bad. Nice job!
Old 09-19-2011, 09:57 PM   #8

thanks guys, i got a few people PMing with questions and im more than happy to answer so feel free.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:27 PM   #9
Cheyenne Trail Crew
AlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 37th Helicopter Squadron
Name: Adam
AlphaEcho2k5's Tacoma Gallery
followed these steps awhile back, it was a huge help. thanks + rep.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:37 PM   #10

thanks much, it was my first write up so tried not to do it half ass
Old 09-19-2011, 11:53 PM   #11
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
nice writeup and i'm sure it will help many folks here. however, for something like this, i recommend using real paint vs. plasti-dip. SEM trim paint would be your best option to achieve that new factory look.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by scwerks View Post
nice writeup and i'm sure it will help many folks here. however, for something like this, i recommend using real paint vs. plasti-dip. SEM trim paint would be your best option to achieve that new factory look.
thanks. although that is true, i actually like the look of the plastidip on my truck, because my flares are bedlined, and the plastidip has kind of a tacky look to it. it works. love your truck btw